• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the old P3 . . but if Discmania can make copies of molds why not just copy the Zone and call it P3
. . . and copy the Fierce and call it P0

I mean they certainly could. It has happened in the past for sure. Probably all companies are guilty of it to some degree. But i think it is almost always a better practice to try and make your own original (obviously this is a matter of degrees) mold that has the certain desired flight/feel characteristics.

In my experience, the Tactic (Razor Claw) is in the Zone class.
I LOVE the P3, but it has been removed from production ��
Thankfully I have enough P3s to last for quite a while.

The TDX is slated to be re-molded for a less stable flight.

My predictions:
FD in stock S/C/D-line plus Night Strike 4 (in a different plastic).
P2 in stock S/D/P-line plus Sky God 4 (yet another plastic type? or cycle back to C-line?) - other than D-line probably won't overlap with Omega4/Alpaca/Firefly plastics (stiff ET/Color Glow DT/MF glow & color glow C-Blend/Nexus)
DD3 in stock S/C-lines (new!) plus Cloudbreaker 3 (remain swirly S-Line), maybe a special edition (metalflake?)
MD3/PD might be one or both. Depends if they make Iron Samurai III, Lone Howl III, Dark Maul III. If they are produced, expect all the stock plastics (S/C/D) and maybe an additional special edition.

I'd say the above are the 5 most popular molds currently in the Originals lineup and make sense for the limited amount of production time. I think everyone would be happy with more availability of the tour series discs so they will likely increase production of those and do bigger runs of the stock plastics for each.

Likely no PD2/FD2/FD3 Tour series so those won't get produced (they were produced in 2020 though). Simon moving on to the Tilt seems to replace the Sky Rider?

Could see Montgomery & Pirronen's Tour series moving over to the Evo line (Link/Instinct?) and Klein, Anttila, & Vikstrom getting a tour series in the Evo line (maybe one of the new molds?). Avery may not get a tour series disc (similar to Dana losing the Roaming Thunder CD2).

Pretty good predictions on the molds/tour series so far, didn't guess DM would be molding themselves though :)

2021 Proto P2!

attachment.php

Aaannnndddd!?!? How does it feel/throw/feel?

I could only putt in the yard, but the plastic is very similar to d-line stiffness. Rim is firm and top is pretty firm too. Grip is improved: squeaky. Made my first three putts from 12 paces (where I generally start to have trouble). It's interchangeable with the original. Edge, shoulder, everything feels the same.

I haven't received a shipping confirmation for my order yet. Not too worried about it though, they've got a ton of orders to fill.

I could only putt in the yard, but the plastic is very similar to d-line stiffness. Rim is firm and top is pretty firm too. Grip is improved: squeaky. Made my first three putts from 12 paces (where I generally start to have trouble). It's interchangeable with the original. Edge, shoulder, everything feels the same.

This is incredibly encouraging and bodes well for the other molds. Is the plastic more like Exo hard? Or does it feel like a completely new thing? Can't wait to try a new FD with the fancy Italian-blend plastic :D

I was wondering if the MD3 release is also coming with the D-line plastic or is the first release only C-line release?

I was wondering if the MD3 release is also coming with the D-line plastic or is the first release only C-line release?

Nothing confirmed yet, but if I had to make a guess, I would say C-line only at first. Not sure they have the capacity to run multiple plastics of the same mold all at once? But again, this is a complete guess.

Maybe Discmania Support Person can chime in?

This is incredibly encouraging and bodes well for the other molds. Is the plastic more like Exo hard? Or does it feel like a completely new thing? Can't wait to try a new FD with the fancy Italian-blend plastic :D

Similarity to Exo Hard but its a thing of its own

The plastic is remarkably similar to the D-line I have. It's like if you had 30 d-line putters to feel in-hand, and picked the grippiest. That's how much the same it feels. Feels less like EXO hard (one Tactic to compare).

The plastic is remarkably similar to the D-line I have. It's like if you had 30 d-line putters to feel in-hand, and picked the grippiest. That's how much the same it feels. Feels less like EXO hard (one Tactic to compare).

Oh man, this is such good news. The OG D-line p2 is my all time favorite putter, and I definitely like the grippy-er runs. I wonder how this new plastic will beat in. I can't wait to check them out, and be able to have access to good putters when I need them without paying black market prices. :hfive:

great AMA with Jussi on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/comments/ob3pb9/i_am_jussi_meresmaa_ceo_of_discmania_ama/

some of the highlights for me:
Q: Is the intent to release all the Originals line again, or will some not be brought back? I have a good number of friends who love their CD2s, and hope the wait isn't too long.

A: We plan to bring back most of the Originals. We do our best to bring 5-6 models into the market per year. CD2 is in the desing process.

Q: If I understand it correctly, Innova owns your original molds while you own the names. Does this mean Innova will eventually come out with those originals under a different name? Or do you have a contract stopping them from doing so?

A: Innova owns their molds where Originals were made previously. They control everything from there. We own our names on discs.

I do not know what molds / names Innova will do in the future. We do not have any contratc there.

Q: What is your favorite disc to throw?

A: All-time: D-line P2. Currently, I really enjoy throwing new C-line MD3.

Q: For us Originals fans, what would you say are the discs to check out from the Active and Evolution lines that fill a gap in the Originals line-up?

A: There is a lot! I would say that there are few discs on Evolution line that are "unique". Essence, mutant and Logic. All those fill "gaps" in my bag currently.

On Active line, everyone should try the Sensei. Fun fact: it will be the most sold Discmania disc in 2021. The popularity of a Sensei in Finland is crazy.

Q: Eagle recently mentioned that you would be a top 10 pro if you were on tour, would you agree?

A: At some point of my career, I think I was top-10 in the World. My highest rating was 1039. I have top-5 finishes on every major I played (USDGC, Japan Open, Scandinavian Open, European Championships)

As 43-years now, there is no chance that I would be in the Top-10 today.

Q: What is your favorite non-Discmania mold?

A: TeeBird. Such a great disc.

Just got me Proto P2s in, here is my reaction:

Plastic- feels pretty amazing. Like someone else said, feels like a grippy DX/D-Line plastic. The top has almost a gritty feel to it (in a good way, reminds me of X-Line or Nexus plastic but not exactly). Very stiff, very little flex. I'll be interested to see what how much stiffer the 3 version will be.

Shape: It's a P2. A lot of P2s have a slight puddle top to them, and most of the Alpacas I have touched have been that way too. The Proto p2s I got are on the domey end of the spectrum (I like it). The rest of the disc feels identical in my hand to my OG P2s that I always putt with.

If these discs are an indication of what is to come for the Discmania MFG. discs, then I think we can stop worrying. They were able to "Remake" this disc so closely that it tells me the rest of the molds will be just as good (I hope). Great job Jussi and Discmania, and I am excited for the MD3 to come out, even though I stocked up the last time they were run because I had a feeling that was going to be it.

Discmania Support person: When will the MD3s be dropping? Are they next up after the premium Tilts come out? What about the stock runs for the P2s? Id like to get my hands on some 1 and 3 Flex versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.