• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Official Ask Discmania Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will preface this long ramble with this; Discmania has been very clear they are not in the business of replicating molds from other companies and do extensive testing on molds they feel fit their lineup.

The FD3 for example, is a success in creating an overstable fairway driver (especially in S-line). If people want a firebird, then they should just throw a firebird. The FD3 was never created to be a "firebird killer", but was created to be a mold in it's own right. It's great OS disc that is extremely versatile and controllable. I found utilizing my angle of release has made this mold easier to throw/control when compared to my old firebirds.

If you read the description of the CD2, they recognize it may seem clsoe to the CD/PD, but flies more seasoned out of box. I found the CD2, when compared to both molds, easier to throw and work on various lines. In that aspect, I consider a separate mold and working well next to the CD and PD. When spend a year beating in a CD, when the CD2 can cover it out of box?

The only overlap thus far I can agree with is the PDX and PD. The site description reads "It has an extra click of speed compared to the original PD and the base of its design comes from the highly praised first run of the C-line PD" hence they knew they were creating an overlap, but saw a need for this. With this being released as a fundraiser only, it's an easier decision to make it overlap an existing mold. For those not so lucky to have first run PDs, this is a great and affordable option.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but DM is a company that will make a disc for each gap and then be done with new molds. In my opinion they are only missing four molds to the lineup: A very OS mid, an OS putter, an addition to the TD family and an extreme beef addition to the PD2 family. Now this doesn't mean they should clone a gator, jokeri, roadrunner and max, this means they have room to grow their own molds and create a disc that stands on it's own and isn't known as a "clone". Beyond that continuing to release their existing molds in new plastics, will create a nice balance and have slight differences across a mold. I for one cannot wait for the CD2 and FD2 in s-line (maybe 2016!?) and for molds to get the MF treatment eventually.

I can hint at one thing. We're working on the P3 and you should see some variations of plastics, they may not be full releases but they will be specials on the Discmania Store to start out.

I think that your responses are well articulated and make good points. The memtion of other molds was for comparisons sake.

As for the fd3, I understand that it wasn't a fird bird killer. What I don't understand is why that mold warrented realease (along with the cd2\pdx) before the slots that need to be filled were. It sits right in the middle of when an fd2 is powered up or a pd is powered down? the whole notion of not having an oversatrated line up seems to be going to the wind.

Really and truly what does the fd3 over that multiple runs of pds or fd2s?

Again between the plastics available for both the td\cd (d\p\s\c) I don't see how the cd2 was a priority over other options. If the CD was phased out of this line up it would make sense. Why make both?

Now the fd2? Absolutely made sense. Designed after a popular varient run and is far enough removed from it's predaseccor that it doesn't overlap, but compliments.

I'm a discmaniac and I know full well that my opinions are just that, opinions. It just feels like last few releases are just filler and fluff compared to the flagship (p2/md3/fd/pd/dd/dd2) \ soon to be flagship molds (md4 etc.).

Interesting and valid points. However - What do you think about the MD? you forgot that one ;) I'm pretty sure it fills it's own spot. Let me promise you that we are working on creating the most professional and thoroughly thought out set of discs to conquer a course. Thank you all for your support - it is the #1 reason we do what we do.

We're working on a few things that should fill the void in your life.

Thank you for the insight. You have a pretty good understanding of what Discmania is about. However, we're pretty sure you guys will love what we're cooking up. Winter is all about setting up for the new year ;)

:hfive: 2016 is going to be a crazy year with tours and new things to fill voids in our life.

Your first response made me lol. you can't fill the void that is the cold forum ranting Michigan winters!

Sadly even as a discmaniac I have too many gators\firechuckens\rhynos to ever think about realistically bagging md4/p4 etc. I would just enjoy seeing DM answer to some of the mention slots.

Pretty neat about the cd2.

I hope it's clear that I'm just trying to stir discussion, not rag on, troll, or bring down DM.

Oh S-P3 you say? Check.

And as long as youre here, any comments on this very valid point?

Jarkko Jäntti on Discmania Collectors and Throwers Group on Facebook
3. tammikuuta kello 21:42 · Vaasa, Suomi
Its Discmanias 10th anniversary this year - Anything cool coming up?

One can hope a cool stamp on a bunch of molds! maybe a stamp that pays homage to one of the original designs?

VlT8nVW.jpg

This would be amazing as a mini stamp on a bunch of molds!

Oh S-P3 you say? Check.

And as long as youre here, any comments on this very valid point?

We do have a few ideas on doing something special but it's not ironed out yet. We'll let you know when it comes to fruition.

One can hope a cool stamp on a bunch of molds! maybe a stamp that pays homage to one of the original designs?

VlT8nVW.jpg

This would be amazing as a mini stamp on a bunch of molds!

I don't think i have ever had the blessing of seeing that stamp before. Thank you for sharing :)

We do have a few ideas on doing something special but it's not ironed out yet. We'll let you know when it comes to fruition.

I don't think i have ever had the blessing of seeing that stamp before. Thank you for sharing :)

No problem! I remembered seeing it on Jussi's instagram long ago and saved it! He posted it as one of the first designs. Would be fun to learn how many discs received this stamp in Europe long ago :)

I can only think of a beaded P2... I like,no, LOVE the feeling of a Yeti rim. I like a dead straight putter though so the P1x works great, although it has a low sloping shoulder to make it straight, and the bead far under the VTech bottom, it doesn't feel the same as other OS type beaded putters. A beaded XP2x I think would sell 1,000,000 units in year one and the KP2x about 3MM units, but that's just me.

A P2 is a big bead aviar with no bead, just fyi. So your dream has already come true!

Are all 2nd run C CD2's run with the stock stamp? Or are some run with shield stamps or DM store stamp?

I know both first runs and second runs have stock stamps, the mini store stamp were first run, usdgc were first run and I don't recall any runs have the mini shield only (unless thrown in the some mystery boxes?) Right now on site they only have second runs.

I know both first runs and second runs have stock stamps, the mini store stamp were first run, usdgc were first run and I don't recall any runs have the mini shield only (unless thrown in the some mystery boxes?) Right now on site they only have second runs.

Thanks. I'm trying to help someone figure out what run they have (we might do a trade). He did say one has a mini shield stamp...not sure if he meant micro store stamp though.

So I just ordered a P DD, anyone have any experience with one of these? I'm hoping it seasons like the P PD's do. I have high hopes for this disc :D

Mine is 169 and was very stable at first probably more than the red pat# pd you gave me. But after a couple weeks it's more like a semi seasoned pd that's slower, which I'm assuming is still a good bit more stable than the second runs though I haven't thrown a second run. I took it out of my bag because it wasn't much different than a pd. if they made them in s-line I would revisit the mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.