• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One leg drill, stupid question.

For the record, you are saying this is 1) planted very open, 2) open earlier than you, and 3) "garbage mechanics?"

picture.php

1.I'm saying his plant foot is open. His hips turn quite a bit into foot plant too.
2. I didn't say where he opens in relation to myself.
3. He has great mechanics I believe, but according to all the advice I see on these forums, by that standard, he would have garbage mechanics

1.I'm saying his plant foot is open. His hips turn quite a bit into foot plant too.
2. I didn't say where he opens in relation to myself.
3. He has great mechanics I believe, but according to all the advice I see on these forums, by that standard, he would have garbage mechanics

1) We're talking about hips. Hips are closed. His plant foot is also not as open as yours.
2)
I look at throwers like Marc Jarvis, who was a great distance guy and he opens up sooner than me with more initial hip rotation too.
3) Which of his mechanics are contrary to what is being promoted?

1) We're talking about hips. Hips are closed. His plant foot is also not as open as yours.
2)
3) Which of his mechanics are contrary to what is being promoted?

Depends on how you define the position of his hips. I could show a different angle of my drive that, by your standards, would be "closed".

1.I'm saying his plant foot is open.

Plant foot is neutral, basically perpendicular to the direction of the throw. If you look at the field you can even see the line his foot is planted on.

picture.php

https://youtu.be/HNYg_kmq2rQ

At what angle is his front foot when he plants? Would you agree it's between 10-11:00 position?

In that video, 9:30-10:00 at most relative to the throw.

Depends on how you define the position of his hips. I could show a different angle of my drive that, by your standards, would be "closed".

Closed relative to the direction of the throw. We're also specifically talking about hip position at the plant.

Ok, let's see it.

Last edited:
Plant foot is neutral, basically perpendicular to the direction of the throw. If you look at the field you can even see the line his foot is planted on.

picture.php

In that video, 9:30-10:00 at most relative to the throw.

Closed relative to the direction of the throw. We're also specifically talking about hip position at the plant.

Ok, let's see it.

You have got to be kidding me. 9:00? No way.

Aren't you always teaching the angle the front foot should plant at?
Nope.

Climo naturally stands duck footed. Feldberg naturally stands more inline. Some people are naturally pigeon toed. This is why you can't carbon copy players. You must adjust your stance for your own natural hip flexibility to allow for maximum mobility.

I recommend starting your stance just like of SC talks about in Purpose of the Hips, lift your legs one at a time and let your foot/feet hang naturally into place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Oylh4t8G8
attachment.php

It's why I don't worry about what position my foot and hip are. I do think the timing of when is important and Im still experimenting. I watch guys like Jarvis landing so open with their foot and realize it's not nearly as important as people think. Its gonna vary from one player to the next.

https://youtu.be/kZGL6Lt_IQY

This was from a month ago, about two months since I started. It's a bit different than how I throw now. I've slowed up my x step substantially and dropped my front shoulder since then.

Your front leg angle looks ok at the heel plant, but you haven't really shifted your weight forward off the rear leg, so you jam up and go over top front leg, instead of rotating on it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• rodeo jarvis.jpg
    rodeo jarvis.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 79
Jarvis bros have shifted to a one leg balance on front leg. You are stuck on a two leg or rear leg balance.

not related to the one legged drill, but it looks like you're almost touching your torso with your throwing elbow. If it's that close to your body, it means your shoulder angle has collapsed under 90 degrees.

Your rear foot is still supporting some of your weight by the time you're initiating your pullthrough. When looking at all the big bombers, you'll see that rear foot is already completely deweighted and getting off the ground by the time they're starting their pull through. The main purpose of the one leg drill is to understand how it feels to be completely weighted and braced up against the plant leg. Taking a smaller x-step and staying on the ball of your rear foot can help.

Last edited:
Your rear foot is still supporting some of your weight by the time you're initiating your pullthrough. When looking at all the big bombers, you'll see that rear foot is already completely deweighted and getting off the ground by the time they're starting their pull through. The main purpose of the one leg drill is to understand how it feels to be completely weighted and braced up against the plant leg. Taking a smaller x-step and staying on the ball of your rear foot can help.

Aye. I may have cured some of that then with my new slower x step. I will have to shoot video again and see.