• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Ozone Discs (Andro One)

its all about the fun!

Half the fun for me playing now is trying out new discs and companies I haven't thrown. It's a fun process and really enjoyable to me.

Saw your hats are up! Quick question is the one picture dark grey hat with grey writing?

Anytime! Jamie's Andros came in so let us know what you think if you get to try some.

As soon as I can bump into him I am picking those up and some other goodies. He is bound and determined to get the chiefs out of my bag and is rather confident I will like these given my interest in DD mids and distaste for the Kaxes (personal preference really wanted to like them, they just weren't for me).

So can we get any teasers on what is next for Ozone? Taken with a grain of salt understanding that what is next may be awhile away.

Saw your hats are up! Quick question is the one picture dark grey hat with grey writing?

I actually just checked and this hat was attached to the tracking info for the light grey hats. It looks like the darker grey we spec'd so I really think that they just had the tracking wrong. Our other colors come in today or tomorrow so I will let you know for sure.

As soon as I can bump into him I am picking those up and some other goodies. He is bound and determined to get the chiefs out of my bag and is rather confident I will like these given my interest in DD mids and distaste for the Kaxes (personal preference really wanted to like them, they just weren't for me).

So can we get any teasers on what is next for Ozone? Taken with a grain of salt understanding that what is next may be awhile away.

The Andros are extremely successful but each disc is hand assembled by my brother or I. We tried having other people epoxy the inserts but its a process that takes time and patience to get right. It takes us about an hour to do 4 discs. While this was a great way to show case our technology and a great learning experience, obviously this is not cost effective.

We are currently exploring a new process where instead of using external epoxied inserts we use insert molding and surround the inserts with the injection plastic. This permanently seals the inserts in place internally. This will look really unique with semi transparent plastic and the solid rings inside. We are hoping to complete a new disc with this technology by mid 2016. This will probably be our putt and approach disc.

For the short term we are going to have enough of the current external insert Andros to last a little while and we are also going to run a conventional Andro with no inserts. We think the andro mold profile will make a great stand alone disc and running a conventional Andro will allow us to sell larger orders to raise some funds for the new technology! :)

I actually just checked and this hat was attached to the tracking info for the light grey hats. It looks like the darker grey we spec'd so I really think that they just had the tracking wrong. Our other colors come in today or tomorrow so I will let you know for sure.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

The Andros are extremely successful but each disc is hand assembled by my brother or I. We tried having other people epoxy the inserts but its a process that takes time and patience to get right. It takes us about an hour to do 4 discs. While this was a great way to show case our technology and a great learning experience, obviously this is not cost effective.

We are currently exploring a new process where instead of using external epoxied inserts we use insert molding and surround the inserts with the injection plastic. This permanently seals the inserts in place internally. This will look really unique with semi transparent plastic and the solid rings inside. We are hoping to complete a new disc with this technology by mid 2016. This will probably be our putt and approach disc.

For the short term we are going to have enough of the current external insert Andros to last a little while and we are also going to run a conventional Andro with no inserts. We think the andro mold profile will make a great stand alone disc and running a conventional Andro will allow us to sell larger orders to raise some funds for the new technology! :)

It'll be interesting to see what the andros throw like in a traditional mold as well. As for your new process, it is good to see some innovative thinking when it comes to discs.

Picked my envys up today and threw them for 6 holes. (Wind chill in single digits here, and didn't bring hand warmers). Thought I would throw out some initial impressions.

The plastic is sweet. Nice and flexy at room temp. Remained tacky, but stiff in the cold. This thing is fast, closer to the fairway side of tweeners in speed. I couldn't get the + to show any turn (for reference I throw my truths 250 feet) but could get the - to turn on me a bit, but it would still fade back a little left. I couldn't quite find a frozen rope angle of release for the -, but I know I will with some more field time.

These have a unique feel. Almost like an old viper in different proportions.

Picked my envys up today and threw them for 6 holes. (Wind chill in single digits here, and didn't bring hand warmers). Thought I would throw out some initial impressions.

The plastic is sweet. Nice and flexy at room temp. Remained tacky, but stiff in the cold. This thing is fast, closer to the fairway side of tweeners in speed. I couldn't get the + to show any turn (for reference I throw my truths 250 feet) but could get the - to turn on me a bit, but it would still fade back a little left. I couldn't quite find a frozen rope angle of release for the -, but I know I will with some more field time.

These have a unique feel. Almost like an old viper in different proportions.

Thanks for the review! Yeah I think your assessment is right. When we were changing the mold from the prototypes to improve the bottom rim we added a little stability. Updated flight numbers should probably be (6, 4, 0, 3) for the + and (6, 4, -0.5, 1.5) for the - now.

We got some more RDG scales from Jamie to throw up on the site and they are now restocked. :)

Andro1 is one of the most unique throwing discs I have had my hands on to date. The + configuration can handle some real power and just go dead straight. If you crank it with a little anny it will turn for about 30-40% of its flight and then all of a sudden it will just snap back and fade. The - configuration seems to have about 20-40' of distance potential over the + mold because the LSS is much less. Both configurations are worth giving a shot. The whistle the rings make add a little character to them as well haha

I got out with my Andro1's over the weekend and threw them a ton in the Ice Bowl.

I am very impressed with the mold shape and what it is capable of. I can very easily see myself bagging this disc for the remainder of my DG career.

I will start off by saying that they are very fast for a midrange. The "tweener" title is mostly just a title. These are mini-fairways and once you toss one, you will agree that they fill a unique slot in the bag.

Ozone tinkered with the wing a little bit between the Proto & First Run and the flight difference is obvious.
While the Protos possessed some turn/fade, the First Runs are stout flyers with little high speed turn. I would rate the flights numbers:
+ 6, 3, 0, 2.5
- 6, 3, -.5, 1.5
Neither disc is what I would consider remotely understable. I threw them both in head/cross winds and they held up just fine.

Late last year I became enamored with Kastaplast and proclaimed that the Kaxe is the "forever mold" that would lock down a slot in my bag for eternity.... now I am not quite as confident.
The Kaxe is a tweener. It feels like a small diameter midrange with a healthy dose of speed.
The Andro1 is like a mini fairway and I relied on it as such. I can really see myself killing local courses with a PnA, Roc & Andro1+.

Another huge draw for me on the Andro is that it isn't a glide machine. I learned with the introduction of the Scale & Serpent that glide isn't always something I want. I often times prefer a flight then drop instead of flight, glide and pray. The Andro1 isn't overly glidey and relies more on speed to achieve distance. I found that to be another difference between the Kaxe & Andro1.

Overall, the Andro1 is a fantastic flyer in both configurations. I know Ozone is going to start playing with a new insert process that would make the disc more consistent but I really like what they have done here.
For such a small label to produce a disc that is this strong, I am proud of them. The Andro+ & Andro- will be riding in my bag for all of 2016 and beyond.

Give one a try, I'd bet you like it.

Andro One Production

Just wanted to give you guys an update on the Andro 1. We have decided that we are going to discontinue sales of the current run and make some critical updates to our manufacturing process.

Now that we are a few weeks into sales, we have begun to get feedback that the inserts are not sticking as well to the plastic and due to slightly different sizes of rings/and or discs there are some air gaps where the inserts do not sit flush against the mold.

We are extremely happy with the flight of the discs and we know there is a future in our insert technology but the inserts can not be exposed. We are going to fix our manufacturing to have the inserts be embedded inside the plastic. In the short term we are going to create a conventional Andro with no inserts and anyone who ordered a current Andro will receive a conventional Andro free. We appreciate you guys trying our technology and we are excited for what the future holds. Thanks for your support we will continue to keep you updated on our progress with the updates to the mold.

This is very interesting. I wish you guys the best of luck with the new process. I did like the look of the black inserts but I certainly understand why you would prefer them to be concealed. I'll be keeping an eye on any future developments.

This is very interesting. I wish you guys the best of luck with the new process. I did like the look of the black inserts but I certainly understand why you would prefer them to be concealed. I'll be keeping an eye on any future developments.

Really appreciate that! Thanks for the support!