• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pdga championship - who will win?

don't forget the $10 barbeque optidiscic. atl scott--i didn't think you were complaining and i think you're right about the first place thing. i think paying out 20% or 25% is a better way to go. but i'm not running it.

don't forget the $10 barbeque optidiscic. atl scott--i didn't think you were complaining and i think you're right about the first place thing. i think paying out 20% or 25% is a better way to go. but i'm not running it.

If it was anything like eastern Carolina BBQ the it was worth 100 bucks for sure :thmbup:

well unless you happen to be a muslim or jewish disc golfer that is :p

yea, seriously. I'd understand taking fees and such only out of ams and even some am entry going to pro, but for 1st to win entry back and a field of 62 to only pay out 200 with 100 being the entry fee? That's a bit ridiculous.

That's just going to keep ams away and hurt the pro payout in the long run, IMO.

Despite all the doom and gloom predictions about ams walking away due to this or that, pdga tournaments continue to fill and overflow with am players. And I, for one, would gladly check a box on the entry from indicating I forego the players pack in favor of that money being reallocated to the pro purse.

And I, for one, would gladly check a box on the entry from indicating I forego the players pack in favor of that money being reallocated to the pro purse.

Why?? Is giving more money to the pros going to bring new players to the sport?

Why?? Is giving more money to the pros going to bring new players to the sport?

it wont at all.
those payouts sux, and as an am i would be pissed if i traveled all that way won and got $200. players parties and the like are nice and all but id rather have more payout. and i think instead of players packs they should just off tournament discs and shirts at an extremely awesome cash price (as in only make like a max of $2 a disc).

it wont at all.
those payouts sux, and as an am i would be pissed if i traveled all that way won and got $200. players parties and the like are nice and all but id rather have more payout. and i think instead of players packs they should just off tournament discs and shirts at an extremely awesome cash price (as in only make like a max of $2 a disc).

move up bagger :popcorn:

Despite all the critiquing about payout and such, some great play like what I saw during the 10 hole finals will really keep people coming back.

3rd playoff hole (#8 on Jackson, ~900+ par 5 - a true par five)

Schusterick bombs a 500 ft drive to a perfect spot - right at the start of the second split fairway. He then chooses the tighter, straighter tunnel shot to the basket. Throws a just about perfect flip-up something mid-range down the tunnel to about 20 ft for a routine eagle. That alone was worth a few bucks from my players pack.

Anyone who's played that hole knows that a 3 there is pretty sick.

"Players pack:
From what has been posted all AM's got a polo and tripod stool. Assuming that the AM's are charged retail that PDGA suggests I will assume that the Polo was $15 - $20 retail lets call it $17.50. Ill assume the stool was $10-$15 retail lets say $12.50 each"

guarantee you the polo was assessed at $30 at least, and the stool at $30-35 because it was from Camp Time, then a $10 BBQ certificate, pdga fees, TD fees, and you AMs are lucky you got any payout! ;)

42 pros at $200 each for 1st place of $3100 (36.9% of their entry fees).
62 advanced at $100 each for 1st place of $200 (3.2% of their entry fees).

I knew that there would be some inequity in prizes, but I surely didn't expect to see it so stark.
Seriously?
You win Advanced over a field of 62 and you only get $200?
You win Open over a field of 42 and you get $3100.
Seriously?
Not complaining about the Pro payout but...$200 for an Advanced field of 62?
Seriously?
Only the first 5 Advanced even got their entry fee back?
Seriously?
That's bogus.

I expected some inequity but that is just wrong.

3rd playoff hole (#8 on Jackson, ~900+ par 5 - a true par five)

Schusterick bombs a 500 ft drive to a perfect spot - right at the start of the second split fairway. He then chooses the tighter, straighter tunnel shot to the basket. Throws a just about perfect flip-up something mid-range down the tunnel to about 20 ft for a routine eagle. That alone was worth a few bucks from my players pack.

Anyone who's played that hole knows that a 3 there is pretty sick.

Man! I would love to see that shot on video. I suppose Clash guys are shooting videos there. What did Will use to bomb 500 ft drive? I guessing DD.

Will is like 130 or 140 pounder, but he sure got technique and timing perfect to throw those bombs. Congrats to Wysocki for winning his first major.

is it me or does feldberg look like he is messed up on something? or has he just been pulling hair out?

Wysocki_Title.preview.jpg

I've done the custom huk lab/camptime stools for player packs before and they are expensive as hell.

I'd say for a $100 entry getting a custom huk stool and a polo is pretty sweet. Top that off with a $10 coupon for a bbq dinner? Not too shabby..

Some TD's will charge retail for player packs, some won't. I see no problem doing it either way.

Bottom line is- As a potential player, it is up to you to research the event. Call the TD, find out what they plan on doing. If you don't like a player pack and they are offering a player pack, don't go. If they are charging you retail for the player pack and you dont like that, don't go.... etc, etc...

(As a pro) When I look for events to attend, I do my research and try to learn as much as I can about the payout prior to the event.

I just checked Innova site to check Ricky Wysocki's bio and I am surprise he is only 17 or 18 years old (born in 1993). He is 6' 6" tall! More kids bunched on the top pro ranks!

Wysocki is the man. Been lucky enough to watch him go from Juniors, to INT, to advanced to pro all within 3 years. Next world champ. That's what we have said around here for the last 3 years. Kid is good.

I also played in this and the experience was great. It would have been worth the $100 if I had to pay it, but I won my division in the PDGA global event and was given a free entry. Of course, the trip itself (gas, hotel, etc.) cost significantly more than the entry would have, but that's not the point.

I'm not sure what those who complain about payouts are looking for. Do you want those who finish at the top to get more? If so, then lobby for a policy change to pay out a much smaller percentage of the players. I cashed but didn't feel like I played all that well, and I would have gladly accepted a structure that paid out the top 10% (similar to poker tournaments), which provides real incentive to score even though I would not have cashed

Yes, the players pack was nice, but again I'll forego that if it increases the payouts (the amounts, not the number of people paid).

However, these changes would bring two problems into play: the "it won't bring new players to the game" lament because so few people will get anything for their entry, and the "bagging" issue - if payouts are skewed to the top then many will play down as far as they can until forced to move up by their ratings.

Maybe we need two types of tournaments - the "everybody gets something" type that we have now, with swell players packs and flat payouts, and a second type that caters to those who prefer the motivation of a big payday if you finish at the top of your division.

I prefer the latter, but will not whine about the current setup like so many others do because I enjoy the competition more than anything else...

Wysocki is the man. Been lucky enough to watch him go from Juniors, to INT, to advanced to pro all within 3 years. Next world champ. That's what we have said around here for the last 3 years. Kid is good.

Wow, I been playing three years now and I am 917 rated player! He seems forehand dominant (just saw video of his forehand bomb), how is his backhand?

Hope he will play at USDGC so I ll have chance to meet him and watch him play next week.

He throws a good backhand as well.

I'm guessing he won't be attending/playing USDGC, although he recently moved to Charlotte so maybe he'll be around.

Latest posts