• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pdga championship - who will win?

Who did you pay to play? The TD?yes The pDGA?yes The local club?If it's a club sponsored tournament, yes The course owner (City Parks Dept.)?Last I knew public parks didn't charge you to use them.

Are you saying it's their responsibility to take your money and multiply it just for you?Just for me? no. That doesn't mean they shouldn't respect my money just as much as an Open players. Is it possible they believe that's their money once you've turned it over?So, they're douchebags is what you're saying? Because that's a douchebag thing to say/do. If they can multiply those monies and still pay out your division 100%+, you've really got no say what happens with the $$$ they are smart enough to generate.First you were talking about my entry fee, now you're talking about added cash, which is different.

Touring players choose to do that. No one twisted their arm to make them get out on the road.

Just checking...

If you're saying that once I pay to play they should be able to do whatever they want with my money, I just won't play and I'll discourage others from playing. I'm not going to give up 60 bucks and an entire weekend plus gas and food to win two pro plastic discs. You really expect people to do that? It's only a matter of time before they get burnt out on it.

Last I knew public parks didn't charge you to use them.
This statement, like your other posts proves how little you actually know about running disc golf tournaments.

I don't want to sound like a greedy pro, but why do Ams feel as if they should get merchandise at cost? If a TD gets sponsorship and most of it is in merchandise, they can turn that merch in to cash or do what they want with it. Why is that a scam? If you go to Target, do you question what they paid for it and why you have to pay retail? I am by no means saying all added cash or merch has to go to Open though.

As for the Ams at this event or any event, the new payout structures seem to be paying deeper and giving a players package to ensure more people get "stuff". Paying huge amounts to first place only encourages bagging as others have stated. Then the arguement isn't low payouts, it moves to Ams who continually stay around and win every tournament. I have seen it for twenty years and I think the deeper payouts have only helped prevent bagging. Now the PDGA needs to eliminate about 30 of the 40 divisions so there is not so much overlap! :) Just my two cents....

If there is lots of added cash, then it should go to the top divisions(MPO and FPO) in my opinion, as this encourages more people to compete in the highest division offered. However when there is this added cash, AM payout should not be barely 100% after fees are deducted. The least TD can do is payout 120-125% to AMs by putting the difference between wholesale and retail back into their division.

Nor should the AMs be charged $70 out of their $100 entry fee for players pack items that were either donated or way less than that $70 "retail value". At Indiana Open outside Pittsburgh one year I recall the TD telling me that they charged AMs $25 for a donated t shirt and a Pro D disc and he was totally ok with it...THIS has to stop.

I wonder what would happen if every tournament opened their books, and all the AMs could see and learn how badly some tournaments take advantage of them. The AMs who go to these big tournaments could just pay top pros to play rounds with them directly, it would be a better experience and cheaper!

AMs should not be paying pro A tier entry fee levels($100) to compete anyways(unless its fake USDGC that is). That's where the problem is. The PDGA has built this environment where they say AMs are not playing for money, but yet they are and have come to expect it. This can change by TDs going trophy-only, and spending time to create awesome players packs for AMs, which in turn can help fuel pro purses with the right player pack sponsorship.

FWIW I have helped put on a few tourneys, 0$ is what went to the city. Even got permission from the city to shut down the course. Maybe I'm missing something?

reserving pavilions can run $50-100 depending on the park. Doesn't have to happen obviously, but sure does help run the event in case of rain.

There is no set price. Some PD's may charge a small fee or be free, while another may charge $500 (Mokena, IL Park District).

Carroll Marty and ISU charge nothing to have a tournament there. Wak Pak 4 lyfe!

I wonder if past TD's had anything to do with that sweet deal? Maybe they've had many successful events over the years that attract enough pros & ams that the course owners know that the area will be full of DG'ers, who in turn will spend $$$ at the local establishments (gas/food/lodging). Do you also believe that these players who spend $$$ with your local retailers get to demand that they get to reap the benefits of the profit made from their spending?

Why are so many of you so paranoid? If TD's opened their books, you would see that most don't make anything off you or anybody. They do all this work because they love the game. Some tourneys just break even completely. Some tourney's profits just get forwarded to the host club, and few actually pay themselves. Those that do profit make their money because they worked their a$$ off to gain sponsors and definitely deserve everything they get.

I just don't understand why we have this mindset that if the TDs get to pocket cash for their work that they're ripping us off. No other form of entertainment gets this kind of beating. Somehow we need to find a way to unspoil all DG competitors. TDs are the backbone of disc golf. They should make money.

Why are so many of you so paranoid? If TD's opened their books, you would see that most don't make anything off you or anybody. They do all this work because they love the game. Some tourneys just break even completely. Some tourney's profits just get forwarded to the host club, and few actually pay themselves. Those that do profit make their money because they worked their a$$ off to gain sponsors and definitely deserve everything they get.

I just don't understand why we have this mindset that if the TDs get to pocket cash for their work that they're ripping us off. No other form of entertainment gets this kind of beating. Somehow we need to find a way to unspoil all DG competitors. TDs are the backbone of disc golf. They should make money.

I agree that TD's are under-appreciated. I also agree that the value I get from my tournament entry fee usually far exceeds the money I spent.

As a TD, I've always "lost" money on every event that I've run. I don't view it really as a loss, though, as being a TD is a hobby for me that I enjoy, in spite of some ignorant complaining. It only takes watching a ring of fire, handing someone an award for their first win, paying out the ace fund, or receiving a kind word of thanks to make it worth while.

I would argue, however, against TD's being considered "the backbone of disc golf". The vast majority of disc golfers are purely recreational and don't play pdga sanctioned events. This will always be the case, just like it is in every other sport. Thus, course designers are the true backbone of the sport. (yes, many cd's are also td's)

Latest posts