• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

I have been throwing Teslas since they released as my distance driver and I am salivating for my Photon to arrive Tuesday :D

Your stance on the Photon is refreshing however.

Thanks! Your ability to handle something other than a glowing review of anything MVP produces is also refreshing!

I totally agree with you. These will definitely be more consistent than most DD drivers, because MVP is awesome like that. But if you have drivers you like, I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.

. I also have seem to have developed a love for neutron plastic. I'm not sure why but when the sheen wears off it just seems to be the perfect grip.

I guess you've probably tried fission, but this doesn't feel like neutron, the flight plate is super thin and flexy, and the plastic is definitely more matte. If you run your thumb on a new neutron disc, you know how it kinda sticks? With this fission, my thumb kinda slides

It's quite possible that if I threw a DX Destroyer, that I would get it out as far as the Photon. But I've thrown the Vulcan, which is supposed to be good for beginners and it can't hold a candle to the Photon in distance, and especially in comfort. I've also thrown a Blizzard Boss, which was way too much disc, and again, the rim felt horrible.

So yea, for me it IS a game changer. But you can only compare it to what you've thrown.

I've got a 144 photon and the faceplate is really thin. Do the heavier ones have a thicker faceplate?

My 155 fission volt plastic feels a lot closer to a normal Neutron thickness.

Game changer is such a strong term. For people that throw 400+ feet I imagine you'll see the same general distance as what you're throwing now but the photon might be easier to get there because of the weight.

For people like me who throw <350 the photon is a consistent overstable driver that will be at the very top end of your distance almost every time. I don't usually throw max speed stuff on the course but for comparison I threw the photon against a giant, star destroyer, and a crank. The photon was usually the farthest but it wasn't like it was blowing past everything else by 60'.

Where the photon shines, to me, is accuracy. I am getting much closer to 350-400' baskets than I was with the other drivers. It wasn't about throwing a mile, it was about being able to put a decent distance drive where I wanted it. Just my .02

Just got mine today, 162 light purple. My first throw was high and it faded out. The second one I adjusted and threw it hard and low with a touch of anhyzer uphill and it held the line and barely fought out probably around 375 uphill. I'd say it's similar to the stability of the World, but I don't see why I would switch. I've seen words tossed around like "bomb" and "game changer" here and on the fb page... Have you guys just not thrown high speed drivers before? This one, I personally wouldn't say is anything special. It's totally fine and it works but I wouldn't say it's very different than anything else out there. So unless you've never thrown high speed stuff before or you're trying to go all MVP, I don't think it's worth switching drivers.

Mine don't go 50' further than my Quasars, but I did have my longest throws ever in my field where I practice, and at Renny Gold.

I've thrown Quasars since they were brand new...I think it was 2011 or 2012? Anyways, I know that mold well and I've cycled it for years. That I could go out to Renny the first day I've thrown Photons and throw them further than a faster mold I know way better...that says a lot to me.

Game changer? No. Extra D? Yep. At this point in my game I've just assumed any extra D I can get would be from tailwinds and form tweaks, so it was a nice surprise to have a disc do the work for once.

Too late to edit my post, but I wanted to ask you about your Worlds. Out of the two I'm throwing, which do your 4 resemble? I liked the pink one, but wasn't sure if that was the normal flight or if the flippier white one was.

I have been throwing max weight terns for my DD, and the photons 20g weight difference alone probly gives me another 30-50ft on a good drive. Its been nearly a year since I had thrown anything other than a motion under 170g. Hit 400 in a tourney yesterday with the photon.... too bad I was 80ft left of the basket, lol. I haven't hit 400 this much since I dumped my x step and stopped using lightweight discs.

How are the Fi volts holding up for you guys? The biggest knock of other air plastics is how quickly they turn into snap dragons...

It's taking a decent beating, lost some of its high speed stability but it's 155g could turn it over out of the box so it's a finesse disc that gives 350' of consistent standing distance

Just got mine today, 162 light purple. My first throw was high and it faded out. The second one I adjusted and threw it hard and low with a touch of anhyzer uphill and it held the line and barely fought out probably around 375 uphill. I'd say it's similar to the stability of the World, but I don't see why I would switch. I've seen words tossed around like "bomb" and "game changer" here and on the fb page... Have you guys just not thrown high speed drivers before? This one, I personally wouldn't say is anything special. It's totally fine and it works but I wouldn't say it's very different than anything else out there. So unless you've never thrown high speed stuff before or you're trying to go all MVP, I don't think it's worth switching drivers.

The "game changer" part is the fact that MVP can mold these down into lower weights and still get a consistent flight pattern with healthy fade at the end of the flight. I think that is pretty exceptional, and might be a game changer down the road, to some extent. I'm not saying this is going to revolutionize anything, because I don't think it's revolutionary, but it is a step forward in disc technology. I see these Fission Photons as the discs that are actually fulfilling the promise that Blizzard plastic made a few years ago.

I've thrown my 154g and 164g for three rounds, and I'm getting used to them. They are nicely overstable and I was experimenting with some huge anny lines and sidearms, since I was playing at a more technical course (Hiestand) where I rarely throw my Destroyers. I was going to go to a longer, more open course (Token Creek) to see how the discs fly on longer lines, but it's raining today.

Overall, these discs are shorter than my Destroyers. Sometimes by 50' or so, which was surprising to me. I think part of that comes down to me knowing the Destroyers well, and not being at all used to throwing lighter discs like these Photons. I'm typically throwing either 170g for drivers and max weight for mids and putters, so I'm having a hard time feeling where to pull because the weight is different.

I'm going to keep testing these discs. I think they are really good discs and they're fun to throw. But they aren't challenging the Destroyers for a place in the bag any time soon.

damn it

Are these game changers or not? I threw all my other distance drivers in the garbage a few days ago after reading this thread.

It's quite possible that if I threw a DX Destroyer, that I would get it out as far as the Photon. But I've thrown the Vulcan, which is supposed to be good for beginners and it can't hold a candle to the Photon in distance, and especially in comfort. I've also thrown a Blizzard Boss, which was way too much disc, and again, the rim felt horrible.

So yea, for me it IS a game changer. But you can only compare it to what you've thrown.

Yeah, it is definitely relative to what molds and plastics and weights you've found. Agreed. But I feel iike most of us who have been searching for a good DD in this over-saturated market of discs will have already found one they like.

Mine don't go 50' further than my Quasars, but I did have my longest throws ever in my field where I practice, and at Renny Gold.

I've thrown Quasars since they were brand new...I think it was 2011 or 2012? Anyways, I know that mold well and I've cycled it for years. That I could go out to Renny the first day I've thrown Photons and throw them further than a faster mold I know way better...that says a lot to me.

Game changer? No. Extra D? Yep. At this point in my game I've just assumed any extra D I can get would be from tailwinds and form tweaks, so it was a nice surprise to have a disc do the work for once.

That is kinda crazy, immediately more distance with the Photon... I believe you, I just feel like that will not be the majority of people's experiences.

Too late to edit my post, but I wanted to ask you about your Worlds. Out of the two I'm throwing, which do your 4 resemble? I liked the pink one, but wasn't sure if that was the normal flight or if the flippier white one was.

Definitely the pink one. The white is definitely unlike any World I've thrown. I throw TP Worlds and they've been coming out flat and more understable, but not that understable. I like the older domier ones. To be clear, I have 4, but generally I bag 2 of those, complemented by Giants.

The "game changer" part is the fact that MVP can mold these down into lower weights and still get a consistent flight pattern with healthy fade at the end of the flight. I think that is pretty exceptional, and might be a game changer down the road, to some extent. I'm not saying this is going to revolutionize anything, because I don't think it's revolutionary, but it is a step forward in disc technology. I see these Fission Photons as the discs that are actually fulfilling the promise that Blizzard plastic made a few years ago.
Overall, these discs are shorter than my Destroyers. Sometimes by 50' or so, which was surprising to me.

This will probably be more common for us humans with arms that can't activate superGYRO™ like Mike C. Also, people on here have to compare apples with apples. If this is the first lightweight disc you've thrown, then maybe thats the main reason its going farther.
With regards to your comment on lower weights, I agree up to a point. We have seen that many of these under and around 140 are substantially more understable, which is very different from my 162. So yes, good job MVP, a step in the right direction (towards perfectly stable 130-class discs, I guess, if you want that) but we can't say it's perfect when it's not.

Well I'm glad I could spark some actually interesting and discerning discussion on an MVP thread. It's easy to look at the MVP DD release in a vacuum and say it is amazing and the best thing ever but there are other great companies out there that have great driver as well.
As I've said to JCassidy, I'll say to you (most of you):
Thanks! Your ability to handle something other than a glowing review of anything MVP produces is also refreshing!

It is also easy to read a post on here that does something other than sing the praises of the Photon and then attack it based on something unimportant and trivial. Unless someone posts a blatant attack, it is completely unnecessarily to rabidly defend MVP's honor. My original post was quite tame. I trust you know who you are. :):):):):):):):):)

Good to know on the Worlds. I was hoping the Pink was typical of them.

Still, that video is a perfect example of why a lot of us are excited for MVP to dip their toes in the DD field. They are the toughest discs to consistently mold up, everyone knows that. If they can nail that alone, while matching the distance other molds offer, that would make me want to switch. I gave up on Destroyers because I got tired of hunting for the "good" ones, and some Quasars are pancake flat while others are pretty domey. I never released a D1-D5 comparison video because I could not get my D series drivers to match the intended flights and I didn't want to try and make them look bad.

I agree that my experience isn't going to match others 100%. Unfortunately I got these after I came back from vacation, or I would of loved to include my 340-380' power level friends in the test video!

Good to know on the Worlds. I was hoping the Pink was typical of them.

Oh for sure. I would bet you could buy 10 more VIP worlds and they'd all fly like the Pink one. Westside I think has overall pretty good consistency, except sometimes like when the King became more stable, etc. Overall it's closer to MVP than Innova in that, you can't find a beefcake World and an out-of-the-box hyzer flip World, like you can with Destroyers.

Still, that video is a perfect example of why a lot of us are excited for MVP to dip their toes in the DD field. They are the toughest discs to consistently mold up, everyone knows that. If they can nail that alone, while matching the distance other molds offer, that would make me want to switch. I gave up on Destroyers because I got tired of hunting for the "good" ones, and some Quasars are pancake flat while others are pretty domey. I never released a D1-D5 comparison video because I could not get my D series drivers to match the intended flights and I didn't want to try and make them look bad.

Yeah I totally agree, MVP has the best consistency in the business, its by far the best brand to buy online. But no one here is saying "Wow look at the consistency!", they're saying "Wow look at the distance" which I am skeptical about. So yes, good job MVP, successful release I'd say!

The beginners ive let thrown all were impressed with the distance. Im wondering how much you have thrown this disc. Im not even sold on it but its obvious how easy to throw and far these light weight drivers go regardless of MikeC power or not. No one here has said anything crazy in the past few pages at all. You make it sound like people are saying they are magical and thats not the case.

I had a very similar experience as Alcuin when I first got my 153 Crave. I was getting it about the same distance as my Warship, but no further. My Stalker was always 20' further at least. Most of the problem for me was, I was trying to throw it like my old 150 Diamond or a 150 class Valkyrie. I wasn't treating it like a normal disc that can handle some power. Once I started throwing it like I throw my 170 drivers I actually noticed some good distance out of it. Lately it's been almost as long as my Inertia and Insanity.

Still don't think I'll pick up a Photon since I don't think it'll do anything for my arm speed, but I do think MVP does add something to the lighter weight class discs.

I'm sorry, but MVP's high quality plastic, plus the power of Fission, plus the great design of this disc DO make it special. The Photon gives me distance I didn't know I had. I'm not sure what higher praise you could give a distance driver.

(I will probably pick up a DX Destroyer, just for kicks, to see how it compares. I know a premium plastic Destroyer will be too overstable. Then again, we all know about the consistency issues with that mold, so I can't really be sure if what I buy is how all of them fly.)