• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

^FYI, I road-rashed mine a couple of times across an asphalt parking lot and there's no discernible damage at all.

And small sample size, but there's no dome difference between the 163 and 153 I got.

Last edited:
Got my 159 from Infinite yesterday. Haven't had the chance to throw it, but this Fission plastic feels...interesting. it's odd because I can't see the bubbles so much as I can feel them. It seems to give the plastic more grip than regular Neutron or Proton...slightly less than Plasma, maybe.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to throwing this and filming my review video...stay tuned to the Hucking Aces YouTube/Facebook page because we'll be giving this bad boy away shortly!

Photon allowed me to throw a hyzer line today (and park it) on a hole that I've never reached on a hyzer line before.

Just one more in a line of "firsts" for this amazing disc. :thmbup::thmbup:

Aims post is dead on the lighter one I received has a little pop in the top opposed to the heavier one being board flat, extreemly excited to rip on them both this afternoon, I am however extreemly nervous about the durability of these discs compared to all other mvp I've had, we will see how it beats in, hopefully it behaves like premium plastic after a couple 70+mph tree hits
Threw them both today, rained though so I'll need some more work to tell if there is any difference in D or control.

I will note, the lighter one I have I threw into a headwind and it bit hard... I have not thrown the 159 into a headwind yet (i was playing in a round) so that has to happen, if the D is close and the heavier disc holds up to the wind... it's in the bag, otherwise the 143 is in the bag for non windy conditions... When the rain stopped I tried to tee off with both and couldn't tell the difference for me at least in D, and like others have stated... It's no further than my outlaw cannon, bolt freedom, King, it's all about the line... For me id like to save my arm if I can and throw the lighter disc if it will hold, which it did with no wind.... Decisions decisions.... All in all very impressed with the grip in the rain and the consistent flight with a 16g difference between discs

what were you throwing for that hole previously?

I've reached it plenty of times with the Inertia, Amp, and Insanity, heck, even the Axis on a great rip (for me). But I never tried to throw that hyzer line until today. I've always had to hyzer flip it, and let the understable discs ride the turn to the hole, and usually they would not flip and go way left of target.

But today I set up and really didn't even have to rip it, and I took a right to left approach going wide and letting it come back in. It worked beautifully, and I think I'm starting to see the advantage of doing the "boring" big hyzer.

Yea its been since I dumped my blizz apes that I have been able to throw a 350ft spike hyzer where I wanted it to go.

Played 76 holes today. I'm beat! Anywho when I was loosing gas the photon was just bombing. 360-375 on almost stand still lazy drives. It just cruises. I can trust this to pan out and always come back. I got 144 ant it seems perfect to me so far. Sow. Winter today it did just fine as long as I got the release correct. Fun disc!

glad to hear mine and others intial posts re: easy D were far from "hype" .... These discs really do "go" without much effort but I am waiting for a different mold to really see that breakout distance line. I feel like the photon has a pretty hard LSS given the weights. Even the 134g would come back hard at the end with a high distance hyzer flip. Something that rides out like the inertia/instanity will be a serious distance bomber IMO. the instanity and inertia already did this for me-- if I put the photon on a slight anny it will fly a similar line but just a hair further with more fade. Really excited for the other 3 distance drivers we have to look forward to :D

I decided to throw my Photon a bit in the field after a round yesterday, and the results were pretty surprising.

I'm really dialing in on these discs. I had a hard time at first with the lighter weights, and struggled to get any distance with them. They were falling well short of my Destroyers. Yesterday, I was throwing the Photons consistently at the top of my Destroyer distance range (a little over 400') and never once fell below my average range (375' - 400') like I do sometimes with the Destroyers. Even when I thought the disc landed short because the shot didn't look like a long one in the air, I found that they were somehow getting out there.

I really like the way they feel in the hand, and find them effortless to throw far. I very rarely put a new disc in the bag, but I'm thinking I might go with the Photons in addition to Destroyers and a King for crazy understable shots and the occasional roller (just learning them). The Photons' light weight mean they are not ideal for a decent amount of shots, so I'm keeping my bottom stamp Destroyer in the bag. If a premium release of the Photon comes out in heavier weights, I'll see if a heavy one can replace the Destroyer. I'm not especially keen on replacing the bottom stamp Destroyer though, because I like what it does, so it will probably remain in the bag.

I didn't think I'd like these discs this much. They have their limits, but they go far with less effort and they can go dead straight if you throw them low or kick into a healthy fade if you air them out for distance.

^ Of all the reports we've read, that seems to be the most consistent.

Distance with less effort. I know that is certainly the case for me. I wonder if they are going to make the Orbital in Fission. Imagine the D in a tailwind? :eek:

After testing out my Photon over the past few days.. I am not certain that I will ever rely on a "distance driver" again.

Upon release of the Tesla, I removed all of my DD's and started throwing only MVP's 10 speed class. I found that I could still throw these molds farther than most folks DD's while retaining much more control vs. a faster mold.

Now that I have throw the Photon on distance, control, golf lines.. I am finding that, while it does provide easier distance, I just don't feel like I need that extra rim width/speed to provide me with the distance that I need on the courses that I play.

I will likely always carry one with me just in case I come upon a "driving range" hole where it is max distance as only necessity, but as of now I am really comfortable with my Wrath & Insanity as my long driving molds and I don't see that changing at this point. The rims are comfortable, they have amazing colors and the flights are just so reliable for me.

^^
I ordered mine yesterday. After reading all of this I can't wait.

Here's my 138 with a fresh college logo dye (looks more even in person). It is a strange pale orange color with that orange dot in the middle. Neat disc.

18195526131_1437e7ee6d_z.jpg

Got to throw my 145g Fission Photon today. After getting used to throwing that light a disc, and calming down from trying to throw it hard. I really liked this disc. Turns over for me just enough to get good distance, but doesn't flip to far, or fade too hard. Had some epic drives with it, that were at my longest distance range ~325, without great effort. Sexy disc that might really help me.

I haven't ordered one yet and I'd want a storm trooper with blue splash in the center. Harder to find.