• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Still dialing this one in... It surprisingly clicked with my forehand but I'm pulling it wide right or getting it nose up on a backhand pull. Going to the course tonight with a bunch of discs I want to test out and this one will get some more work... I see the potential.

I'm still dialing my 144 Photon in. It's been my shortest distance driver and my longest.

I find one of my problems is how well it stays on the line. For big distance I'm used to things a giant "S" curve. This thing is very sensitive to that and likes to stay on the angle I put it on and pull out just before it gets to the ground.

I throw it straight flat and hard and it turns nicely and fades back just past the center line. I can aim it extremely well. I can also hyzer bomb the crap out of it. It really carries on that line.

But on those monster "s" shots I'm always screaming for it to come back as it continues on it's merry way for that giant anny 100 foot right of the basket. :D

Yup, you can throw the light ones too hard and make them glide right, not really crash and burn right, but you don't get the fade you intended and you do get crazy D, but, if released flat to slight hyzer with good form this is Def a go to... Wont kick the outlaws or the freedom out if the bag but it can comingle, without any wind I'll keep picking it up for now... With wind forget it, the 145 I have gets tossed around

I'm still dialing my 144 Photon in. It's been my shortest distance driver and my longest.

I find one of my problems is how well it stays on the line. For big distance I'm used to things a giant "S" curve. This thing is very sensitive to that and likes to stay on the angle I put it on and pull out just before it gets to the ground.

I throw it straight flat and hard and it turns nicely and fades back just past the center line. I can aim it extremely well. I can also hyzer bomb the crap out of it. It really carries on that line.

But on those monster "s" shots I'm always screaming for it to come back as it continues on it's merry way for that giant anny 100 foot right of the basket. :D

That's interesting. I have found the S curve to be the Photon's bread and butter, but mine is a 157. I imagine there is a weight threshold where it tends to hold the anny and not flex out at the end.

So, I tossed an all overmold bag tonight with my 163 photon as my only distance driver. When normally I would have a 167 destroyer. Let's just say the photon more than impressed me. Holds a hyzer line great. Released flat I get tiny turn to long straight to fade. Really want this in a plasma 169-172. This may just boot destroyers from my bag.

Still dialing this one in... It surprisingly clicked with my forehand but I'm pulling it wide right or getting it nose up on a backhand pull. Going to the course tonight with a bunch of discs I want to test out and this one will get some more work... I see the potential.

what weight?

I'm having similar issues.

^ Don't know, but he needs to give the Photon a good testing.

And film it for us. :thmbup:

I think it would do well for MVP if they showcased one of them in a vid to put a little more weight (so to speak) into the power of Fission.

But, that's mostly just me wishing out loud.

I don't think it would move the needle much. Disc nerds already know about the disc and casual players wouldn't care.

Played an out of town B tier (MM1) this weekend (first roadie!), 2 Saturday courses had a bunch of open-ish bomb holes. Pretty consistently outdrove the card (with pinpoint locating) with nothing but a 163 and 153 Photon (with some Tesla sprinkled in) thrown on flat, straight lines, carded only my 2nd and 3rd 900+ tourney rounds, made the lead card (4th place) for Sunday's final round. (Then fell out of the putting groove I was in and fell to 10th. :\)

Both are basically stable point and shoot to 400 for me, a bit more turn and a bit later/less fade from the 153, don't need distance lines to get way out there.

I'd only had these for like a week or so, and I already trusted them completely. Freakin' lasers.

#igogyro

I liked the photon, but found it didn't really offer me anything (except a tiny bit more distance on my flick) that a blizzard (or beat to snot pro) destroyer didnt. And I like to keep my mold count down.

You gyro boys will like this one a lot though. Thanks to Aim for hooking me up with one to try.

I really like the Photon. The fission plastic is outstanding. I have a 163 and a 143. On my first throw with the 143, it turned hard into a head wind and landed in a shallow drainage pond. It hasn't rained in awhile, so hopefully I can retrieve it while keeping my feet dry.

The 163 held a hyzer line into the same headwind and just kept sailing. I have been throwing it quite a bit in the last couple weeks and am impressed with how controllable it is. It has developed a tight S curve and flies really well on a low line. I am curious to see if the 143 really is that flippy or if it was throwers error (probably the latter).

The light ones are touchy, any wind or poor form at all and it makes you pay, I also put the heavier one in the bag as the trust level started to dwindle with my form and thus the light photon