• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

I wouldn't say "more" fade but earlier in the flight and more carry in the LSS portion. The fission will hold the anhzyer release much longer before the fade kicks it down. I find the neutrons to start the flex sooner with much more lateral right to left movement in the later part of the flight for some huge helix lines and lower line hard hyzers.

The max weight fissions are different from the lighter weights. My max weight fission photon is really just a glide happy neutron photon. Compared to the lighter weight fission plastic runs the neutron photon will be more overstable even at 166g which is the lightest N ive thrown.

Hope that makes sense... kind of hard to put into words'

More fade and it kicks in sooner.

This.

Also, both my Fs, 163 and 153, have a little HS turn. More the 153, but the 163 was doing it a little into the wind yesterday. This 174 N was laughing the breeze off. With my arm, at that weight, and brand new, this disc was slotting between a Motion and Tesla, kind of.

Curious to see what's up once I knock the new off this one.

The N I have has a lower shoulder than my Fission, but both are more or less flat in the center. But if you don't like a completely flat disc don't worry these have enough shoulder to feel good.

Last edited:
they are flat topped with a slight shoulder. no pop like lighter weight fissions I had vs the max weight which is the same as the N's.

Just curious...anybody had a chance to throw a reg N Photon alongside a Fission @ the same weight? Wondering if there's any difference.

166g flies a touch more OS conpared to the 164g fission but very similar as i mentioned a few posts above. My max weight fissions are pretty OS just difference in how they flex out of the anny later. MOAR gyro?! :p

Surprised that the USPS was delivering the mail today, and in that mail came my MVP Photon. It is 157g, and I ordered orange and got red (and not orange-red, so I didn't get what I ordered). Today was a great day to test the Photon against the Wave (and a Daedalus), as it was windy enough to be an issue, giving me some good data.

Where my particular Wave at 153g is very understable, the Photon is overstable. The flight numbers of 12,5,-1,3 are the same as the Destroyer... but my Photon is nowhere near as overstable as my Blizzard Destroyer. The Photon was actually manageable for noodle-armed me to throw: I threw it with just a little bit of anhyzer, which makes it go just a bit higher than my flat straight throw, and I got some good flex (S-curve) out of it. It holds up (a lot) better in headwinds than the Wave, but the overstability starts to show in headwinds.

Distance? In almost every case where I threw the Wave on a hyzer-flip and the Photon on a flex, they came out within ten feet of each other... virtually every time. Side by side the most often. They really are exceptionally well-matched on speed and distance.

I may one day get a heavier (160-class) Wave, but for now I think the Wave/Photon combo fills my distance driver needs. As a side note, the Daedalus (13,6,-3,2) outdistanced both the Photon and Wave, though the Daedalus didn't particularly like the headwinds and crosswinds, either.

I finally took a sizeable chunk out of an MVP disc. Threw a FH from the top of the damn at Hoover Westside(Brent Hambrick Memorial Open temp course). Landed in the rocks near the bottom and tore a chunk about 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 of an inch deep off the overmold. Will post a pic tomorrow if I can. Still flies exactly the same as when I bought it last week though....

I finally took a sizeable chunk out of an MVP disc. Threw a FH from the top of the damn at Hoover Westside(Brent Hambrick Memorial Open temp course). Landed in the rocks near the bottom and tore a chunk about 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 of an inch deep off the overmold. Will post a pic tomorrow if I can. Still flies exactly the same as when I bought it last week though....

I did that to an Eclipse Volt. Got thrown into a rough block of concrete, direct hit on the corner. Biggest chunk I've taken out of an MVP overmold, but still flew the same. I might post a picture later when I get home.

I had an interesting experience with my 144 F Photon. I've become quite comfortable trusting its stability in a little wind but encountered a blustery mixed wind scenario yesterday. On this particular hole, my line is an lightly elevated angle flex over trees (from an elevated tee box). Typically, the Photon will hold the turn long enough to clear the trees, straighten out then fade into the fairway. Holding the anny too long means a trip OB, hence the value of the reliable, yet turn-able F Photons. Enter insane headwind gust. Drive moves up on a good line but starts to increase its turn violently, air-bouncing as it goes. The turn becomes so sharp that after clearing the trees, the disc appears to be going OB but continues to turn in a full U and slices back into the fairway coming toward me. I had never seen anything like this before, it wasn't a big air stall - it was a never ending sharp anny turn bouncing up and down as it went.

I think the moral of the story is - Fission discs are delivering on the promise of stable and light, but that lightness can still be more easily victimized by wind than a heavy disc. I will trust my F Photons in wind to a point on protected lines, but there is a trade off for the weight loss to keep in mind, I think. I'm going to find myself a heavy N Photon next for options.

As I'm staring at the clock waiting for 5pm to head to the course, I'm sitting here fondling my N Photon (duality stamp) and I'm noticing, this (for me) may be the perfect N blend. Not quite as flexy as say the Wrath or Insanity, but kinda gummy still.

<with love in eyes, and in talking-to-baby-voice> gonna throw you really far later, yes I am, yes I AM!

So, I just reread this entire thread. I am looking for resident noodle arm updates on Fission photons. (Halcon, Onemoremile etc.) Especially if you bagged a fission 155 or less. How are you using them? How are they fitting with the Wave if you have it? What weight is your wave? What distances are they going for you (especially if you are 300ish ft power)?

Thanks

Latest posts