• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

So, I just reread this entire thread. I am looking for resident noodle arm updates on Fission photons. (Halcon, Onemoremile etc.) Especially if you bagged a fission 155 or less. How are you using them? How are they fitting with the Wave if you have it? What weight is your wave? What distances are they going for you (especially if you are 300ish ft power)?

Thanks

I do not consider myself a big arm at all. I bag a 163 fission. Just bought a 173 neutron. The fission for me is what I always wanted in a lightweight destroyer. Keeps all of its stability, just at a lighter weight. It isn't fighting at all with my 167 wave.

So, I just reread this entire thread. I am looking for resident noodle arm updates on Fission photons. (Halcon, Onemoremile etc.) Especially if you bagged a fission 155 or less. How are you using them? How are they fitting with the Wave if you have it? What weight is your wave? What distances are they going for you (especially if you are 300ish ft power)?

Thanks

Hey Rogue.

I'm a noodle arm because my form has major flaws, but I don't throw discs on crazy flex lines on purpose and stuff to try and gain distance, I mostly throw flat and not far, 330 ft. being roughly my max distance. Both my fission photo (144 and 157) fly almost the same. If I release then on a gently anhyzer angle, I will get a small turn, long flight, and small fade. Giving enough height (which I rarely do cause I throw so weak anyway) it will have a very healthy fade though, off course. Honestly, I find the Photon very manageable even for my noodle arm. Even for me it will "bomb" on a pure hyzer line as well. I find it's a very fast disc out of the hand.
I think you should try one.

Also, I did notice a very slight difference in plh between my fission and neutron photons. The neutron is just slightly higher than the fission. Not much, but definitely different.

Pretty sure I am going to buy one of each. Just trying to decide on weights. I throw MVP/Axiom speed 7s in the mid to high 150s, the only disc faster is a 155 Inertia, which I love. I don't want a super stable photon. I would like a -1 to -2 turn with a 2 fade at my power. I think I am going to get a 160-165 Wave

I think I am going to get a 160-165 Wave

IMHO you'll likely be happy with that. You might need to work with the disc to learn its quirks, but once you do, it's a beautiful thing. I took my neutron Wave out to the course the last couple of days and I'm starting to get very consistent flights with it. And the most distance of any disc I own (or don't own, for that matter :p ).

Pretty sure I am going to buy one of each. Just trying to decide on weights. I throw MVP/Axiom speed 7s in the mid to high 150s, the only disc faster is a 155 Inertia, which I love. I don't want a super stable photon. I would like a -1 to -2 turn with a 2 fade at my power. I think I am going to get a 160-165 Wave

My 166g neutron photon is still very OS but lighter wave vs max weight are different like the inertias from 150 to max wt.

So, I took my 175 photon out this evening. It is exactly what I was hoping for, more of a forward penetrating fade than the somewhat dumpy fade of its fission counterpart. Definitely have to throw the 175 harder, but am still achieving good distance with photons. The last destroyer left my bag today. Lol.

They can dump pretty hard in the wind. I have noticed in a straight headwind or a R to L, that they dump very hard. In a L to R cross or headwind they finish much better.

I just picked up a 138g fission. This may be too fast for me, a 167g valk is my longest Disc releasing flat, a impulse will go farther for me, but I have to hyzer flip it.
Excited to see.

the fission is more dumpy?

FWIW, this has not been my experience exactly. I'd describe it more as having the fade kick in much later in the flight, at a much lower speed. So it's kinda "dumpy" in that sense. I just think of it as being much straighter. (Comparing a F @ 153 to a N @ 175)

I would agree toro. I can throw the fission on same line and get more D with a LSS which kicks in later specially if given some anny.

^Totally. My lighter one (153) is so dope for long tight woods lines, i.e. most of Nevin for example. Super tight helix shots, etc, needs very little room laterally (or ceiling for that matter) to fly point to point 350, without drifting too far right (fhbh) or too much skip/flair.

They can dump pretty hard in the wind. I have noticed in a straight headwind or a R to L, that they dump very hard. In a L to R cross or headwind they finish much better.

FWIW, this has not been my experience exactly. I'd describe it more as having the fade kick in much later in the flight, at a much lower speed. So it's kinda "dumpy" in that sense. I just think of it as being much straighter. (Comparing a F @ 153 to a N @ 175)

Just to add my 2 cents, I would say that as a stable/overstable mold in a light weight, that the amount of HSS appears to decrease with the reduction in weight as one gets lighter in Fission (I have a 144, 153 and 163) but ultimately, when the disc hits the right speed, it will begin its predictable, reliable fade portion of flight.

Due to the disc being able to be exposed to ever increasing arm speed and being more subject to environmental conditions relative to its weight, the flight of the lighter disc can become more exaggerated in its transition from HSS to LSS, in my experience.

I've thrown a 175 N Proton as well, which comfortably took my power level, barely turned up, held and was transitioning to LSS much more quickly and gradually in the flight, so I would say I can relate to the 'dumpy' comment, but don't think it has anything to do with the plastic as much as the weight and physics. That said, with the increased torque applied to the lighter Fission, it can increasingly be used with some hyzer flip line adding the advantage of straightening the whole line out.

In the end, Fission allows us to bag the same familiar mold in a variety of weights adding utility to the disc at large. FWIW, I've currently found the heavier Fission to be perfectly suited to a workable, long-range control disc in my game.

Last edited:
Note, upon reflection, my third paragraph reads better if worded:

I've thrown a 175 N Proton as well, which comfortably took my power level, barely turned up, held and was transitioning to LSS much more quickly and gradually in the flight. That said, with the increased torque applied to the lighter Fission, it can increasingly be used with some hyzer flip line adding the advantage of straightening the whole line out so I would say I can relate to both comments, but don't think it has to do with the plastic as much as the weight and physics.

:)

Newb here. Can someone explain to me what you guys mean by dumpy? I am guessing it means the way the disc fades/falls quickly into the ground. I feel like my photon fades pretty quickly at times and almost just falls to the at the end of the flight. My destroyer does not seem to do this as much. A big part of this is probably that my arm is not that great yet, but is this what you guys are talking about?

Newb here. Can someone explain to me what you guys mean by dumpy? I am guessing it means the way the disc fades/falls quickly into the ground?

I think of a "dumpy" fade as being sort of sudden. Like when the disc is ready to fade, it gets steep pretty fast and gets to the ground.

As opposed to what they've been calling "forward penetrating" fade, where the disc starts fading shallow and slowly gets steeper, continuing forward for awhile as is works left (or right.)

Some of it's the mold, some of it's how you throw, for example I can see both types of fade from a Resistor or Servo depending on how hard and on what angle I throw it.

Last edited:
I think of a "dumpy" fade as being sort of sudden. Like when the disc is ready to fade, it gets steep pretty fast and gets to the ground.

As opposed to what they've been calling "forward penetrating" fade, where the disc starts fading shallow and slowly gets steeper, continuing forward for awhile as is works left (or right.)

Some of it's the mold, some of it's how you throw.

Okay thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking it was. I have noticed the disc does this for me a bit. I throw a 168g Neutron and probably don't have the arm for it. I still like the disc, but it sure feels like it is going to glide out there a bit more and then it just kind of "dumps" like that.

Latest posts