• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

I was perusing through some Photons in the store yesterday and saw a fission with a freakish pop-top dome. The plastic felt like it had a mix of neutron to it and was more glossy than standard fission. Has anyone else seen or thrown one with freakish dome? I almost bought it but the price was a little too steep... $19.99.

all of the 130ish gram fissions I received were that way. Flipped like hell not sure if due to dome and weight combo. also thrown a pop-top insanity so its possible they ran a batch or two, of different molds with some good dome just to see how they are received by the masses.

I put one under the basket with an effortless 220-ish hyzer line approach. I love that I can use this disc powered down, instead of having to rip an Axis

This. I got a 163 fission today at my local shop and I only got a few throws in. Had one clean anhyzer release that had a super long flex line. Not too far, but more impressive than I was even expecting.

I had a wooded, but perfectly clean hyzer approach and I powered it down for a great approach and skip to the pin. Can't wait for it to break in more.

How are people liking the Fission Photon? What are the specs you guys are getting?

This. I got a 163 fission today at my local shop and I only got a few throws in. Had one clean anhyzer release that had a super long flex line. Not too far, but more impressive than I was even expecting.

I had a wooded, but perfectly clean hyzer approach and I powered it down for a great approach and skip to the pin. Can't wait for it to break in more.

No need to wait, try a 150 class. It will fly like a worn in 160, and a 140 like a worn in 150. Nice to have the range of options and predicable performance.

Ok, so I threw my photon today (156g) and it for sure replaced my flick as a thumbed disc. For backhand I am not too happy. I was hoping it would have a nice S curve, but it just seems like a Tesla that goes 10' farther and yes, very dumpy. Do they break in well? Pretty much I am looking for a longer Crave and from what I read it seemed like the Wave and Insanity would be too understable.

Try A Wrath. It is very much like a crave.

Really!?!?! :wall:

I was going to do that first but read a few things on the forums that people said it feels like a Tesla and no need to bag if you already have one. I'm looking for a bomber disc for more wide open holes. I used to throw a flippy nuke.

The wrath is one of my longer discs but I wouldn't call it a bomber. In the hand it does feel like a tesla but gummy. Flight wise it has the same HSS as a tesla but less LSS as it starts to slow down. Also more of a forward type fade than the tesla which has a heavy lateral fade. I think if you bought a lighter wrath in the range of your photon it would have some turn to it, but this is only a guess I haven't thrown one under 173.

Mine is 166 and flies just like my craves but longer. Not anywhere close to the LSS of Tesla. Mine always fades forward to 11 o'clock if you will.

Well, I just ordered a 151 Wrath. DiscGolfCenter I think hates me now. Three individual orders within 24 hours. Hopefully they can just combine them all.

Well, I just ordered a 151 Wrath. DiscGolfCenter I think hates me now. Three individual orders within 24 hours. Hopefully they can just combine them all.

I did that once (two separate orders within one day). They did combine the orders.

I throw a 152 P Wrath and it's not flippy, but it did develop a hair of drift before a reliable fade and forward finish. Not as long as my Terns, but a little better control, and not at all like my 160 N Telsa.

I haven't thrown the N Wrath. Is it different than the P?

I throw a 152 P Wrath and it's not flippy, but it did develop a hair of drift before a reliable fade and forward finish. Not as long as my Terns, but a little better control, and not at all like my 160 N Telsa.

I haven't thrown the N Wrath. Is it different than the P?

Good. I throw almost everything max weight but pretty much all of my MVP/Axiom discs are in the 150 range and still fly great.

Stable to OS side of the MVP/Axiom discs models do not get flippy even at 150g just more glide and easier to get up to speed. Its crazy how OS my 157g tesla is and even my 155g fission volt is still a volt. Understable models seem to be impacted more from max to min weight.

Stable to OS side of the MVP/Axiom discs models do not get flippy even at 150g just more glide and easier to get up to speed. Its crazy how OS my 157g tesla is and even my 155g fission volt is still a volt. Understable models seem to be impacted more from max to min weight.

Agreed. My 157g Photon is still overstable, though not nearly as OS as the Destroyer with the same flight numbers (12,5,-1,3).

I take away any bad things I said about this disc. If I needed a long forehand to brake , a long straight drive with fade at the end or a good clean thumbed I grab this disc. I had a pretty great round (At least for myself) today and I would say that I used this disc more than anything else in my bag. Now I have to debate if I get another as a backup. I group kept laughing that it was around 155 grams, but by the end one person in the group said he's probably going to pick one up now.

Latest posts