• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Okay thanks, that is kind of what I was thinking it was. I have noticed the disc does this for me a bit. I throw a 168g Neutron and probably don't have the arm for it. I still like the disc, but it sure feels like it is going to glide out there a bit more and then it just kind of "dumps" like that.

Yeah, 'dumpy' can be good or bad, I think. The Fission Photon for me, yeah the fade is "dumpy," but it's because it just doesn't really kick in for a long time, until the disc is really slowing down...like 350-375, even a bit more on some throws. That makes it really straight for a long range driver, when you think about it. But, it's not the greatest for long straight to fade shots where you want some side-to-side movement, or skip etc.

The max wt. N one I have, it fades earlier, and gets me a lot more lateral movement and a bit less average distance. (We'll have to see how these season up...I already got a little chunk knocked out of the OM on this one.)

Yep. I cant find my fission so either lost it in the garage or left ANOTHER DAMN DISC BEHIND ON THR COURSE.....

I had the nuttiest drive I've ever had the other day with a 158 N. Soooo long and laser straight...and THEN, serious lateral distance on the fade. For anyone who's familiar with Nevin, I made it about 50 ft over the creek on 18, never gotten a driver across on that shot before. (And of course, it was player B, or C.)

Last edited:
The photon goes boom. I haven't heard or experienced inconsistency with this mold which is nice given how some faster DDs can be a crap shot... hope it keeps up! Proton Photon sounds so dope.

Totally goes boom. And I like how we basically immediately got like 3 drivers in one with the subtle differences in stability between 2 plastics and wts. down to like 130.

Initially I wasn't finding my Fission Photon to fly any farther than my Wrath/Inertia on distance lines...

I couldn't have been more wrong.

I've been throwing a lot of open course drives with the Photon lately and I am consistently finding it to be one of the rare discs where I have to walk farther than I thought I threw it to mark my lie. This disc is capable of some monster D without really sacrificing a lot of control. Well done MVP. The Photon is an amazing mold.

Yeah no need in the bag one of those super light sub 150g photons but it was a lot of fun to throw. Seems like there is less gyro going on with those. Early high speed turn isnt common of MVPs which those light photons have. Domey too from all the ones I saw.

Pshht. Not all of us throw 600' from a standstill. The 140 F Photon and I were really clicking yesterday, and I had some huge drives with it, and they were pretty dead straight, but I love that fade at the end. I have absolutely no problem using a distance driver as an approach disc, and I put one under the basket with an effortless 220-ish hyzer line approach. I love that I can use this disc powered down, instead of having to rip an Axis, which can be squirrely if I'm trying to be a hero with it.

I don't know what one in the 130's would be like for me, but the 153 F I have is my favorite one right now, it's been a bit of a game-changer with the unheard of (for me) tight-line controllable distance for the woodsy nonsense we have around here.

Its the 140g and below which are really unique. My 133g was a flip machine bit 10g made it fly much more OS.

My fission photon was easier to throw than I thought it might be. I used it on a few forehand shots I have had trouble reaching, I think it will do well in that role.

On the driving range hole it flew about 280', same as my Inertias. My throw was not very good though. I think it will be good on that hole when there is a headwind.

Overall I like it and am pleased with how easy it is to throw. Might eventually pair it with one 10 or so grams heavier.

How are the 170+ neutrons seasoning? Anyone has experience? I would think that higher speed discs season quicker because even a tiny difference in plh will be more obvious. Thinking of getting 3-4 photons and tuning/beating them to various stabilities (is that a word?). Ideally the most beat photon will be like fresh wave. Will a photon ever get understable?

PS! Not interested in fission and light weight.

Last edited:
Even after getting a chunk torn out of it by a boulder, photon hasn't changed since release day. The easiest way to quickly break in an MVP disc, is to turn it upside down and scuff the top up on a teepad.

How are the 170+ neutrons seasoning? Anyone has experience? I would think that higher speed discs season quicker because even a tiny difference in plh will be more obvious. Thinking of getting 3-4 photons and tuning/beating them to various stabilities (is that a word?). Ideally the most beat photon will be like fresh wave. Will a photon ever get understable?

PS! Not interested in fission and light weight.

Ive thrown my 166g at least 20 times into the garage floor and done some rubbing of both sides/wing edge.

Its looking like a tesla/volt whatever where the fade is just delaying and still nothing for high speed turn. Imagine a disc almost 10g heavier isnt going to season easier lol.

The softer plastic blend has stupid shape retention... You could at least warp the wing edge b4 with a realllly hard FH straight into the ground but no mas.

Its looking like a tesla/volt whatever where the fade is just delaying and still nothing for high speed turn. Imagine a disc almost 10g heavier isnt going to season easier lol.

The softer plastic blend has stupid shape retention... You could at least warp the wing edge b4 with a realllly hard FH straight into the ground but no mas.

I haven't abused mine like Aim does, but I'm seeing kind of the same thing so far: a bit of an extension in the glide phase, but so far no real mellowing of the fade once it kicks in.

But I haven't thrown it much. I did get a little chunk gouged out of the OM from a tree/root hit.

I was perusing through some Photons in the store yesterday and saw a fission with a freakish pop-top dome. The plastic felt like it had a mix of neutron to it and was more glossy than standard fission. Has anyone else seen or thrown one with freakish dome? I almost bought it but the price was a little too steep... $19.99.

Latest posts