• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Would the Photon be the closest to a Destroyer out of all the MVP drivers.

Thanks Aim. It's been my favorite driver outside of my FR VOLT. At 147g (FISSION) it still has decent bite on the finish. Gonna add a 163g F to the bag for a more stable option. I like the feel of the Fission quite a bit, not sure if I'll try one in Neutron or not

The Photon is a winner. It's the only MVP/Axiom in my bag and it's not coming out. I like the fission plastic in the 160s.

saw a german video where the guy was ripping mid 150's fission protons 450', with ease. slow turn, late fade, very good glide. and he wasn't throwing anhyzer flex :), looked like flat to hyzer-flip releases.

Would the Photon be the closest to a Destroyer out of all the MVP drivers.

I have a Photon, which is mostly the backup to my 173g Wave. I've found the Photon to be similar to the Destroyer (they're both 12,5,-1,3) but not as overstable as the Destroyer. Photon gets a bit more distance for me, also. Photon = good disc.

So I want to pick up light weight Fission Photon. Has anyone thrown both a 145g and a 155g, and can tell me if there is a difference? Also what about 160+ vs those other two?

I threw a 134g and it was more a trick-shot distance driver.

the 146g went real far but didn't fade. 164g (fission) went just as far but faded.

My beat 166g neutron is plenty OS for most of you im sure and even myself given the wind.

The 170+ are nice moderate OS distance drivers. (currently bag a 174g) and it beef compared to the beat up lighter one but still flies like a photon just eats any headwind.

Wind and release angles will play the biggest factor with the lighter discs. They will hold the anny longer before flexing or turn easier etc. Still photons even though down to 134g you will see fade after the initial turn kicks in and by no means an orbital.

OK. Just got my mail call, including a white 155 fission Photon. First disc to almost make me shed a tear of joy in first throws. Flat, tight turn, and forward... Great step down from my 163 which I can barely turn without really cranking it.

I'm glad the brothers were patient to getting the high speeds right.

So ya, I wish overmolds would prevent this from happening :(

Anyway, loving the Photon, big bro to my Volt

Attachments

• IMG_20150830_220316.jpg
    IMG_20150830_220316.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 77
Anybody else having gouge issues with the gummier N plastic? I have 2 max wt N Photons with weird damage to the OM. Not ruinous or anything, just strange in the way it takes damage. One missing a chunk, the other like it was sliced about 1/8 in. into the OM. This also happened early to an uber-gummy Wrath I had (but didn't like anyway.) Kind of weird, that seems like the Fission ones are maybe MORE durable...?

This is with just a couple rounds on each. Wondering how this will look long term...

I think for these thinner OMs on the high speed drivers, N should be stiffer more like the OG N, since the Fission option should satisfy most people who like a little gumminess/give to their drivers.

I had a sizeable chunk ripped out of my photon about a week after I bought it but it didn't change the flight. My waves have been in contact with plenty of trees and a few road skips with out incident. I brought this up a while back, that I thought the OM gets harder(more dense) with age, but I could be crazy...

^Maybe so...? Yeah, neither of them flies any different. And actually, both "gouges" were easily "repaired" with a few seconds and a bic lighter.

Honestly i do think overnolds almost cure up or something weird with age. Same with neutron plastic even and its grip.

I have hit some stuff pretty bad including pavement etc and been surprised by the durability of the thinner overmolds.

t. Even drilled s root and the disc got wedged into the ground/rocks but came out straight. The guy i was playing with thought MVP overmolds were soft. :D

Started throwing a photon 2 days ago. the feel is amazing in the hand. i only throw it for forehand shots. power forehand. hitting about 350-400 feet on a forehand with it. for sure my go to forehand.

Latest posts