• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

A disc golf equipment parallel to this fiasco happened with the initial release of backpack-style bags years ago by two different companies. Both Salient and Grip had horrendous out-of-the-gate issues. Late deliveries, etc. Grip recovered and has thrived; Salient is still maligned (and for good reason) on these forums today. Which way will the DGPT turn? Stay tuned.

Seems that Steve Dodge wanted to let people know they tried to reach a deal with Jomez but could not figure something out in time.

Final round coverage is good. It's great to see that battle taking place, and Uli does a good job setting the stage and sounds like a fan just like all of us. Nice job. Some of the footage could be better, and there are no bells and whistles yet, but, it's passable. Will be watching the FPO next.

So, I'm laughing hard enough that everyone finally asked. The conclusion is that light whoops (as if your parts are caught in a vice) are all that's required for levitation.

If I've offended anyone, good.

Ahhh I can picture it now: Lights are low, waitstaff sharply dressed are busying themselves serving expensive slabs of meat on tables covered with white cloth. Meanwhile, lyleoross clicks on a video in DGCR

"WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO "

"Omg why can't I find the volume on this dumb phone???"

"WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO"

And he proceeds to laugh his ass off much to the bewilderment of his dinner guests.

Ahhh I can picture it now: Lights are low, waitstaff sharply dressed are busying themselves serving expensive slabs of meat on tables covered with white cloth. Meanwhile, lyleoross clicks on a video in DGCR

"WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO "

"Omg why can't I find the volume on this dumb phone???"

"WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO WHOO"

And he proceeds to laugh his ass off much to the bewilderment of his dinner guests.

It really is the whoos that make it hilarious.

I'm watching the FPO final round... just how many times are these poorly placed camerapersons going to have to dodge (pun not intended) a thrown disc?!?! Find better places to stand, camera-peeps!!

I'm watching FPO R2 and have been fairly impressed by the production quality and commentary. The camera work still needs to improve, but this is, overall, a giant leap compared to the previous tournament's post-produced stuff.

Final round FPO has problems from the jump, though, with the music blasting and the commentary nearly inaudible. Hard to understand how this happens.

I'm avoiding DGPT post production from Waco right now. I already know the results. I've already watched the live coverage. The only reason to watch would be to see how good or bad it is and maybe catch a couple details that the live coverage missed like McBeth's lucky skip back in under the fence on 15.

I also just want to contribute to keeping their post-production views nice and low so maybe they'll give up on it and let Jomez/CCDG do it again.

It has been a pretty tough start to the season. Lots of unexpected hurdles and unforced errors. The funny thing? I thought I was UNDER promising!
We have so much to correct it is ridiculous. We have an amazing team in place to do it and we are looking to add a couple additional components as well. But still, ugh there is a lot to do between now and JBO.
If life is meant to be a learning experience and an adventure, I'm having a pretty good one. Thank you to everyone that has offered support in these tough times. We will work on. We will continue to build a bigger and stronger and sustainable stage for the best disc golf athletes in the world.
And, like always, I am optimistic for what we will do at Jonesboro. Here's hoping we start nailing down some of these pesky details.
Thank you Seth Fendley for stepping up and helping to deal with this mess I created. Thank you for reviewing the courses and making sure THOSE details are all correct.
Thank you Dustin Juliano for making some beautiful tee signs that are used across all platforms, including the tee signs, the caddy book, the live and edited graphics pages and the virtual players meeting. Knock on wood, there have been no issues with course rules so far. Everything has been consistent across the board.
Thank you Joey Temali for working hard with a consistent smile. Your love for the game has rekindled my own. The courses are setup on time and are looking good.
Thank you Jeff Spring for working so hard to try to get a deal with Jomez and for stepping in to be one of the best commentators we could imagine. You should feel good with the efforts you have done to help us through.
Thank you Nate Doss and Valarie Jenkins for building time for live commentary as you start your own business venture. We can't wait to hear how the opening celebrations go. And so everyone knows, almost no one will ever know the behind the scenes heroics that Nate has pulled off to make the live Waco shows even happen. Just imagine he was dormie with nine to go and came back to win.
Thank you Kraig Stenzel, Nate Gray and Trent Nicholl for working without sleep or thanks through a myriad of issues that, again, no one will ever know, but that we will now be able to overcome.
Thank you Sean Jack for working with partners while we have so little positive to show that is outward facing.
Thank you to all of the TDs that believe in what we are building. In the face of this public onslaught for not coming to terms with Jomez, you have stood by our vision and been fully supportive. Thank you Keith Murray and Dan Ginnelly, Ryan Draper and Joey Harrell, Brad Pietz, Sean Jack, Jeff Spring, Nate Heinold - Ledgestone Insurance Group, John B Minicuci, Adam Jones and Jason Kerl.
Thank you to Danielle Charlier for helping to create the awesome team that is DGPT Media. We will figure this out and create media we can all be proud of.
Thank you to my brother, Todd Dodge, for the endless support.
And thank you to everyone on the team and everyone that is rooting for disc golf to create a stage for our best athletes that we can all be proud of. We will continue to work our fingers to the bones to create it. That I can promise.

Good to see SOME ownership of the mess, though I'm still not all that satisfied. I don't want an apology, I want good next day post-produced coverage that is worth watching. I really don't care that much what it comes from, but I do know that Jomez and CCDG are capable of producing it and DGPT has shown no indication that they can or will get there this season.

Sure, he took some ownership of the mess, but only some. Unexpected hurdles? Are you blind? The issues the DGPT Media were going to encounter after cutting ties with Smashboxx, Jomez, and CCDG were quite clear: DOING MEDIA IS HARD. NOT JUST ANYONE CAN DO IT WELL. EXPERIENCE HELPS. THEY'VE IRONED OUT DETAILS BECAUSE THEY'VE DONE THIS BEFORE.

There still isn't much detail here. Mostly a lot of thank you's to people who are working their tails off despite the tenuous start to the 2019 DGPT, and sure kudos to them. I'm actually rooting for the Pro Tour as a whole because I as a fan want their to be more consistent platforms for Pro Disc Golfers to compete and show their stuff. DGPT is trying to create that.

He still seems to think that he and his team can do more than they actually can.
If he thought he was underpromising, then Dodge really is as delusional we feared.

He still seems to think that he and his team can do more than they actually can.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems a case of not being able to financially afford quality help. But..I do think there were subtle improvements being made with each broadcast.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems a case of not being able to financially afford quality help. But..I do think there were subtle improvements being made with each broadcast.

Sure, finances would help. Being able to afford more help and more help would make a difference. And you are right, there have been subtle improvements with each live broadcast. Camera work could still improve, but DGPT live coverage at Waco was good as far as disc golf live coverage goes. Difficult to say post-produced has improved because while the quality improved, the lengthy turn around time made it obsolete for a lot of viewers who decided to just scroll through the live instead of keep waiting.

I think you're probably right that finances play a role in at least limiting what DGPT (or anyone else in disc golf, really) can do. I still think Dodge and crew have been overly ambitious about what they'd be able to produce with the resources they have, including a tight budget.

He still seems to think that he and his team can do more than they actually can. If he thought he was underpromising, then Dodge really is as delusional we feared.

I still think Dodge and crew have been overly ambitious about what they'd be able to produce with the resources they have, including a tight budget.

IMHO Dodge's eyes are still firmly on his goal, and nothing has changed there. I also think that Dodge has been very surprised (shocked?) by the intensity of the backlash; he did not expect to be so closely held to his promises. I think he expected a 'grace period' while he got his camera crews up to speed, and that hasn't happened. And his reaction to that has not been good... disabling comments, issuing mea culpa statements that ring hollow.

People are not giving the post-production videos more thumbs-downs than thumbs-ups because of the video quality; they are giving those down votes because it is Steve Dodge. They are sending Dodge a message that they did not like what he did to Jomez and CCDG, and that is only intensified by the poor product Dodge is putting out there. There's a reason would-be sponsors are not buying advertising on Dodge's live broadcasts, and it's not just the quality.

Maybe our long national nightmare will end if the tournaments tell Dodge they want Jomez and CCDG (and Terry) back, and maybe the players will tell him the same thing; to bring back the guys who have been and can do it right. Until then, the party never stops on the DGPT...

They are sending Dodge a message that they did not like what he did to Jomez and CCDG, and that is only intensified by the poor product Dodge is putting out there.

This (the bolded) is something that I still haven't seen or heard an explanation of. What exactly did Dodge do to Jomez and CCDG? Because my understanding of what Dodge has done with DGPT media coverage has little to do with Jomez or CCDG directly unless somehow they're entitled to lead card coverage at DGPT events.

This (the bolded) is something that I still haven't seen or heard an explanation of. What exactly did Dodge do to Jomez and CCDG? Because my understanding of what Dodge has done with DGPT media coverage has little to do with Jomez or CCDG directly unless somehow they're entitled to lead card coverage at DGPT events.

I'm not really taking sides here but wanted to get some thoughts out. Jomez and CCDG showed that post-production video, with fast turn around, and good commentary, would both be popular, and could sustain someone, i.e. be a job, even if a poorly paying job. They honed the product, at their expense and time, developing the skills and the format that created a demand. (BTW - I include Smashboxx in this, in terms of live). To some, it feels like DGPT is trying to both capitalize on their work and expertise, while not supporting the guys who made the product work. Some, even feel that DGPT is muscling them out. If you want a real comparison, think Microsoft. They muscled early developers out in tool after tool, often giving away an inferior product until they drove the originator out of business, and then charging for their inferior product.

Now, life is never that simple, and for sure, Steve hasn't tried to muscle anyone out, it's his product, and his original vision always was marketing and exposure, adding value to DG manufacturers. If we are honest, no DGPT, no live, no wrapped pieces for most of these events. That most does matter, cause Jomez for sure would have hit the Nevada events. Keep in mind, that game is complex, because Terry Miller has been doing TDTM for a few years now, and as of this year, it's the Jomez show.

Who has the rights, and what obligations are there? Well, no one has the rights, and there are no obligations. I do disagree with Steve's decision to ice Jomez and CCDG out of events that are in the DGPT, but I also understand why he's doing it. He's trying to capture the full audience, and deliver undiluted eyes to his advertisers.

As always, my wish would be that everyone survives and prospers.

Their seems to be a vein of thought, among some of the Jomez fans, that because Dodge and Jomez built something together, more or less, that Dodge is obligated to use Jomez forever.

If the circumstances were reversed, would they feel the same? If Jomez wanted to pursue something else, would they say that he was obligated to cover DGPT forever, too?

When is it fair for someone to say, What we did last year, we're not doing this year?

I understand people saying, We miss Jomez, we wish we could watch his videos of these events. Or to play armchair quarterback and say, Dodge really blew this move, trying to make his own videos.