• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

I'm surprised to hear these calls for having a play by play person on the commentary. Play by play makes sense in football with lots of moving pieces to keep track of. But in golf, having someone narrate what I'm seeing on screen seems unnecessary. Isn't that what AJ used to get criticized for?

I'm happy having two color people to help me appreciate the difficulty and the skill on display.

It's less a true play by play, and more a host that I think we want/need. They're not going to narrate so much as set up what we're about to see then let it happen ("Here's McBeth for birdie from about 35 feet" followed by silence not "McBeth steps up to his lie. He wipes his hand on his hip. He sizes up the line. He appears to be gauging the wind. There's the little foot grind. The putt is up. Looks good. It's in. McBeth makes his birdie."). Then set up the color person to analyze what happened.

If folks are familiar with ball golf coverage, we need a Jim Nantz or Terry Gannon or Mike Tirico to go with our Nick Faldos and Johnny Millers.

I didn't make through every post so I apologize if this has been asked/answered already, but... is there any post produced video of the final round MPO lead card from Jonesboro?

After reading some of this thread I figured out why it wasn't on YouTube (I think). But I didn't see it listed on the direct website for dgpt either.

Thanks.

The first few minutes of the GBO live coverage is better then the entirety of the pro tour live coverage this year. Youtube, live commentators, graphics, amazing hole previews. Just seems like it is on another level. Steve Dodge should be taking notes.

Terry and Robert are, IMO, the two best commentators on live. They understand pace, what is the right amount, how to relate to the players and what makes an entertaining round.

Terry and Robert are, IMO, the two best commentators on live. They understand pace, what is the right amount, how to relate to the players and what makes an entertaining round.

Agreed. Robert is so under utilized in all things disc golf, as a player and as a commentator.

The first few minutes of the GBO live coverage is better then the entirety of the pro tour live coverage this year. Youtube, live commentators, graphics, amazing hole previews. Just seems like it is on another level. Steve Dodge should be taking notes.

Agreed. And it's at the same level where it's been at for a couple of years now.

Terry: next up will be Paige Pierce

Robert: Yep this is a Classic Blend Burst Warden 174g which is an incredibly versatile and reliable putter from our dynamic discs line up. And yep parked it called it.

Terry: ok yeah, Next up is Kona Panis

Robert: looks like a purple disc, might work, might not, never know with purple ones

Terry: next up will be Paige Pierce

Robert: Yep this is a Classic Blend Burst Warden 174g which is an incredibly versatile and reliable putter from our dynamic discs line up. And yep parked it called it.

Terry: ok yeah, Next up is Kona Panis

Robert: looks like a purple disc, might work, might not, never know with purple ones

That's some journalistic integrity right there...

Yea, thats one of the reason why Im not too big a fan of Roberts commentary. Hes very knowledgeable but it seems at times like he has an alternate motive. Granted DD is the main sponsor, I still dont think its right.

Robert was identifying the discs Kona and Madison were throwing when he could (I heard Shryke and Destroyer a lot). It helps if he knows their bags well enough to identify the disc by its color or stamp, which is tough to do. And obviously he knows the Paiges' bags (and Rebecca Cox when they showed some of that card) better because of the sponsor relationship, but he was making some effort with the Innova discs.

But still, what do you expect? It's a DD tournament with video coverage underwritten heavily by DD with a DD employee on the mic. Of course they're going to get as many mentions of their products as possible. Expect more of the same this afternoon with AJ and JohnE. But also don't be surprised if there's plenty of mentions of what Eagle and Paul are throwing as well. Terry probably has a better working knowledge of Paul's bag having covered him a few times this year.

Yea, thats one of the reason why Im not too big a fan of Roberts commentary. Hes very knowledgeable but it seems at times like he has an alternate motive. Granted DD is the main sponsor, I still dont think its right.

He was obviously pushing DD when he can, he's probably paid to do so. But I agree it was a bit much at times, I'm not sure if we need to know every disc the players are throwing all the time. Now if someone is throwing a putter and the others are throwing mids or drivers, then that is important for the viewer to know.

I think he's doing just fine. Several times you'll hear him call other company disc names. I'm not sure why people are complaining that a DD player/rep/media-man knows a lot more of what's in other Trilogy bags. Spend more time around them playing, of course you'll know more.

How many times do we hear Sexton call out the exact Innova disc for the team members but for others say something along the lines of "I don't know what he's throwing there but it's working." "McBeth with a nice Firebird shot. ... Kevin also throwing what appears to be an over-stable fairway I'm guessing." To be fair he's said that for Innova players at times too, same with Robert. They call it when they sees it and I likes that about them.

Koling seems to be more in the know of what the people are throwing. Ian, top ITB man and I like that effort to let the people know.

He was obviously pushing DD when he can, he's probably paid to do so. But I agree it was a bit much at times, I'm not sure if we need to know every disc the players are throwing all the time. Now if someone is throwing a putter and the others are throwing mids or drivers, then that is important for the viewer to know.

Some folks need to give it a rest. Product placement is common. That coke your superhero is drinking just before he kills Dr. Evil, yeah, someone paid for it. We are getting really great coverage. DD pays for it, if they wanna tell me what discs are being used as a price for that, I can live with it.

Thanks DD for doing this at no cost to me but apparently huge/some/small annoyance to some.

I heard an article about micro differences in opinion and how they lead to conflict. Essentially, two folks are aligned on 95 percent of what they believe. But they are hard wired to focus on the small differences.

Some folks need to give it a rest. Product placement is common. That coke your superhero is drinking just before he kills Dr. Evil, yeah, someone paid for it. We are getting really great coverage. DD pays for it, if they wanna tell me what discs are being used as a price for that, I can live with it.

Thanks DD for doing this at no cost to me but apparently huge/some/small annoyance to some.

I heard an article about micro differences in opinion and how they lead to conflict. Essentially, two folks are aligned on 95 percent of what they believe. But they are hard wired to focus on the small differences.

What conflict are we having? None. We all have opinions and then we talk about them. Your point of view is different then mine and there's nothing wrong with that. Im not trying to convince anybody that my side is right or wrong.

If they know the disc/mold being thrown every time, I hope they tell us every time. But I also agree that Robert wayyyyyy overdid promoting the DD discs...

If they know the disc/mold being thrown every time, I hope they tell us every time. But I also agree that Robert wayyyyyy overdid promoting the DD discs...

I like DD's disc lineup overall. I have no real problems with their products. However, their self promoting has reached a really obnoxious point. They use every single opportunity to jam their discs in your face.

They definitely market aggressively. It turns me off a bit.

I guess the DG market is more cutthroat than I thought. There are increasing numbers of companies out there for a slice of the pie.

I like DD's disc lineup overall. I have no real problems with their products. However, their self promoting has reached a really obnoxious point. They use every single opportunity to jam their discs in your face.

They definitely market aggressively. It turns me off a bit.

I guess the DG market is more cutthroat than I thought. There are increasing numbers of companies out there for a slice of the pie.

I agree that the competition is getting fierce, with new companies and new molds coming out all the time. With Discmania doing that partnership with Yikun and Lat64, DD might be feeling some heat. They also lost Wysocki, and really haven't replaced him yet, while Innova and Discraft chug along with the Champs....

And I don't mind some marketing, but as someone above said, Robert was going too far. Sure Sexton might know an Innova disc in someone's bag, but you never hear Nate say "And that's the Innova Dart, which you can buy at the Innova Proshop..." at all.

What conflict are we having? None. We all have opinions and then we talk about them. Your point of view is different then mine and there's nothing wrong with that. Im not trying to convince anybody that my side is right or wrong.

Agreed. Any DD branding aside.. Robert McCall is even with Nate Sexton as the best player/commentator we have.

Agreed. Any DD branding aside.. Robert McCall is even with Nate Sexton as the best player/commentator we have.

Let me redefine. What the article would say about this situation is that we all agree that coverage is 95% awesome, but because we are hard-wired to find that difference, we will go looking for something to complain about. Oh hey, look, McCall says DD too often. It doesn't necessarily mean we are fighting it out, just that we are looking for that niche part we don't like to show we're, different. And that is what the article focused on, the need to show you are a little different.

On any given topic, where for the most part folks agree, there is a hard-wired genetic element that makes you go look for small differences to comment on.

It isn't a criticism, nor is it meant to say anyone is bad, or good, simply an interesting notion, are we really driven to find that fault to distinguish ourselves?

Latest posts