• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

Thanks DD for doing this at no cost to me but apparently huge/some/small annoyance to some..

Don't get me wrong, if I was head of DD I would do the same thing and splash my content everywhere. It's not like anyone has said they're boycotting watching the event due to too much DD branding. lol.. When you sit down for a 4 hour broadcast where there is a ton of verbiage, certain things may stand out more to some people, especially if they are repetitive.

Back on topic.. so why is the GBO live broadcast so much more professional than what the DGPT is putting out live this year? Is it simply a case of more money vs less money???

why is the GBO live broadcast so much more professional than what the DGPT is putting out live this year? Is it simply a case of more money vs less money???
Because they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel and are doing what has been tried and true. It's amazing how well things go when you don't rock the boat too hard.

Back on topic.. so why is the GBO live broadcast so much more professional than what the DGPT is putting out live this year? Is it simply a case of more money vs less money???

Meh.....freezing frames, choppy movement, graphics errors, a trilogy back drop in need of an iron.... I guess I do not see the ocean of difference you are seeing in the live coverage. I love the work on the GBO so far, but I am deriving very little, in terms of greater viewing pleasure. Both coverage is still better than actually working at work.

Meh. Most of this thread has been anti-stevedodge colored glasses. I've been watching live every weekend it's on, DGPT or otherwise.
Still seeing cameras with NO IDEA where the disc is landing, cameras pointed at the ground walking the fairway, cell issue (no one's fault) and absolutely nothing to talk about other than wind because there's no 4th/5th camera on any other card so we get another weekend of 4 hours of talking in the booth as players walk the fairway.

Meh.....freezing frames, choppy movement, graphics errors,

hmm.. for me on PC/Youtube the live broadcast was 90%+ smooth. I do let it buffer for quite some time (30min+) before I start watching though so I can fast forward over the lulls in the action.

Meh.....freezing frames, choppy movement, graphics errors, a trilogy back drop in need of an iron.... I guess I do not see the ocean of difference you are seeing in the live coverage. I love the work on the GBO so far, but I am deriving very little, in terms of greater viewing pleasure. Both coverage is still better than actually working at work.

Have you not watched any of the pro tour live coverage? This coverage is significantly better then anything the pro tour has put out this year.

hmm.. for me on PC/Youtube the live broadcast was 90%+ smooth. I do let it buffer for quite some time (30min+) before I start watching though so I can fast forward over the lulls in the action.

So you're not watching it live? Seems pretty easy to gloss over or miss some of the flaws if you're doing it that way, but that means many of the improvements you're seeing are as much your own doing as theirs.

I think the GBO broadcasts have been fine. On par with anything Smashboxx has done before. But honestly, the only significant difference I'm seeing between this and the Jonesboro show is that Youtube is a more stable platform so it hasn't dropped out at all. That and Jonny is more comfortable with his workflow so we get more replays and better/more frequent graphics, but I expect that sort of thing will be worked out as he gets more familiar with the DGPT equipment.

So you're not watching it live?

Not at first, typically I'm 100% live for the last 7-9 holes.

I think the GBO broadcasts have been fine. On par with anything Smashboxx has done before. But honestly, the only significant difference I'm seeing between this and the Jonesboro show is that Youtube is a more stable platform so it hasn't dropped out at all. That and Jonny is more comfortable with his workflow so we get more replays and better/more frequent graphics, but I expect that sort of thing will be worked out as he gets more familiar with the DGPT equipment.

Agreed and I've said it before, technically the DGPT broadcasts are improving, it's just frustrating as a fan to have to see it evolve in real time.

Meh. Most of this thread has been anti-stevedodge colored glasses. I've been watching live every weekend it's on, DGPT or otherwise.
Still seeing cameras with NO IDEA where the disc is landing, cameras pointed at the ground walking the fairway, cell issue (no one's fault) and absolutely nothing to talk about other than wind because there's no 4th/5th camera on any other card so we get another weekend of 4 hours of talking in the booth as players walk the fairway.

This is the biggest problem for me. The dead time with Terry and the Dynamic Discs shill is very very not good.

I might be able to power through all the other issues and slow pace, but the cuts to the booth and them grasping for insights is too much.

Have you not watched any of the pro tour live coverage? This coverage is significantly better then anything the pro tour has put out this year.

My post was a bit, tongue in cheek, but only to a degree. Many seem happy to dismiss technical difficulties and random issues for some broadcasts, while crucifying Dodge for the same, or similar issues. The GBO coverage is a better product, but the gap between DGPT and GBO is small, and getting smaller quickly. IMO, both are fine amateur productions, featuring a game I love. So, I watch both and do not find myself entertained more by either. The competition and play is far more important to me than the small differences in quality.

IMO there has been a lot of pro-Dodge commentary, also. But my point in responding to the above is that the 'anti-stevedodge colored glasses' commentary has not just been because of the poor camerawork and related issues. A lot of it was the way Dodge treated others, the promises he made and did not keep, and the damage he's done as a result. Yes, Jomez and CCDG are back, but that does not excuse and we do not forget how Dodge treated them in the first place.

IMO there has been a lot of pro-Dodge commentary, also. But my point in responding to the above is that the 'anti-stevedodge colored glasses' commentary has not just been because of the poor camerawork and related issues. A lot of it was the way Dodge treated others, the promises he made and did not keep, and the damage he's done as a result. Yes, Jomez and CCDG are back, but that does not excuse and we do not forget how Dodge treated them in the first place.

I don't argue that at all. I believe it could have been a complete and exuberant love fest by adding a DGPT, supporting more coverage, using all the companies that are already killing it, and grown the followers exponentially. Cutting people out and separating who can do what was a mistake I believe. Going to take time to get back to the love fest type feeling.

Are you kidding?? The best part about YouTube 4 hour rounds is the ability to live chat with everyone watching at the same time. Huge plus that Mr. Dodge has passed up for a roku channel

I feel like I would kill fewer brain cells going on a weekend long moonshine and meth binge than reading the chat on these broadcasts. YMMV :)

Are you kidding?? The best part about YouTube 4 hour rounds is the ability to live chat with everyone watching at the same time. Huge plus that Mr. Dodge has passed up for a roku channel

Chat moves way too fast for my taste these days...way more one liner quips than true conversation. I was an active chatter on the old Disc Golf Planet broadcasts...when it was barely a dozen people chatting, not a few dozen.

Besides, I've moved on from the notion of watching the coverage while tethered to my computer. Throwing the coverage up on my TV whether it's via Youtube or a standalone Roku app is way more appealing to me. I can still be on my computer (like I am now with the FPO coverage on) but I'm not tied to one website. I can work if I want to work and browse other sites (like I am now) if that's what I want.

I don't think chat is that huge an element of the experience for most viewers. There are 2000+ people watching right now but I doubt very much they're all on the chat or even looking at it.

My post was a bit, tongue in cheek, but only to a degree. Many seem happy to dismiss technical difficulties and random issues for some broadcasts, while crucifying Dodge for the same, or similar issues. The GBO coverage is a better product, but the gap between DGPT and GBO is small, and getting smaller quickly. IMO, both are fine amateur productions, featuring a game I love. So, I watch both and do not find myself entertained more by either. The competition and play is far more important to me than the small differences in quality.

I guess I missed the GBO announcement where they are going to take the media coverage to the next level and get rid of the existing media partners. :\

Steve wanted all eyes on him and for better or worse they are. If you are going to put yourself out there and make a variety of promises then you better deliver on them quickly or folks will feel mislead and throw it all back at you. Never have been a fan of the over promise, under deliver marketing model. He knew he was taking away something, Jomez/CCDG/SB, that people enjoyed and made it sound like nobody would notice. To me that is setting yourself up for the exact reaction he received.

They were rolling out a new and very ambitious plan for 2019 and would have been better served setting up more realistic expectations. Set the bar lower and clear it, then raise it a little more and clear it again, keep on doing it until you reach your goal. You build up consumer trust with each accomplishment. To set the bar so high with very little chance of clearing it was a terrible PR move that is biting them in the arse. Shotty camera work, coverage drops, no next day post production, leaving Youtube, etc... Not trying to pile on here, just pointing out that a lot of Steve's problem were caused by Steve. As that old saying goes, you reap what you sow.

Latest posts