• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

Coverage is pathetic. Not attending or watching anymore dgpt events. Frustrating after watching Terry's live work, and post coverage by Jomez and CCDG. This is a leap backward. Makes pro disc golf look dumb after how professional it has become.

No, they were not "piped" into his camera. He wasn't live at all. I'm not sure why you think he was. He's the fourth camera on that card and they only had three live cams, and watching the sequence that screen grab is from (round 2, correct?) you see all three live cams and never once is it from an angle that indicates it's Cory.

ok...well there were time and time again I noticed Cory was at the same angle the live feed was. I did assume he was piped into the live feed. Apparently I was wrong. Thank you for clearing that up.

No, they were not "piped" into his camera. He wasn't live at all. I'm not sure why you think he was. He's the fourth camera on that card and they only had three live cams, and watching the sequence that screen grab is from (round 2, correct?) you see all three live cams and never once is it from an angle that indicates it's Cory.

hmm...Assuming you are correct, are we to believe then that CCDG & Jomez wasn't hired for lead card coverage but "Johnny Discgolf" was????

hmm...Assuming you are correct, are we to believe then that CCDG & Jomez wasn't hired for lead card coverage but "Johnny Discgolf" was????

This was Ian's response earlier in this thread when someone was wondering the same thing at the Memorial.

Cory's doing non competing media (interviews and what not), and actually does have to pay the DGPT for the right to film there.

He isn't doing shot by shot coverage. He's out there grabbing clips to edit into his interviews.

Last edited:
One of the benefits of living a few hours ahead of you guys.

Tuned into the Live stream after the wife had gone to bed on a Saturday night. Perfect time to kick back and watch what was for me the best Live Disc Golf broadcast I have seen.

I would have no chance whatsoever to do that at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

One of the benefits of living a few hours ahead of you guys.

Tuned into the Live stream after the wife had gone to bed on a Saturday night. Perfect time to kick back and watch what was for me the best Live Disc Golf broadcast I have seen.

I would have no chance whatsoever to do that at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Yes the timeing for the Live was good here in Sweden, FPO after work and MPO later in the evening and in to early night.
Who can watch FPO live in the morning on a Thursday and Friday, not that many

I loved that Jomez was on coverage of the -18. That is so fitting. Having their coverage of it is what allowed it to even make sportscenter when it happened last year. They would not even be able to piece together 30 seconds of quality footage from DGPT to make a highlight for something like that. My guess is that the Jomez round 2 will probably get more views than all of the DGPT coverage combined.

Did anyone else have an issue with the commentating for the live coverage. I hesitate to mention is, because I like Nate and Val on commentary, but I think it is just too hard to do play by play if you aren't there. There were multiple times during MPO final round, where I am seeing things on coverage that they are missing (i.e. yelling at the tv that "Ricky has already thrown out of the woods I watched him, he is tapping in for par!", or "I can hear the crowd cheering for that disc, it's definitely still in bounds"). The camera work wasn't great, but if the commentators are standing there, at least they can tell us what is actually happening instead of just staring at a shaky mess like the rest of us.

I don't ever have time for live... there are books to read, gardens to plant, mushrooms to grow, discs to throw.

Plus I have no interest in watching people walk.
I appreciate the live streams specifically because I can go back to them later in the evening when I'm winding down and skip ahead through everything in between shots. I don't have to wait for post-production material. I'll watch it live, or watch it later without skipping through, when they've got enough cameras out there to move shot by shot between three or four cards.

I loved that Jomez was on coverage of the -18. That is so fitting. Having their coverage of it is what allowed it to even make sportscenter when it happened last year. They would not even be able to piece together 30 seconds of quality footage from DGPT to make a highlight for something like that. My guess is that the Jomez round 2 will probably get more views than all of the DGPT coverage combined.

Did anyone else have an issue with the commentating for the live coverage. I hesitate to mention is, because I like Nate and Val on commentary, but I think it is just too hard to do play by play if you aren't there. There were multiple times during MPO final round, where I am seeing things on coverage that they are missing (i.e. yelling at the tv that "Ricky has already thrown out of the woods I watched him, he is tapping in for par!", or "I can hear the crowd cheering for that disc, it's definitely still in bounds"). The camera work wasn't great, but if the commentators are standing there, at least they can tell us what is actually happening instead of just staring at a shaky mess like the rest of us.
I was wondering about that as well. I was jumping through coverage at that point purely between Paul and Ricky's shots and I managed to catch that throw out of the woods despite the fact that I was skipping 10 seconds at a time between frames to find their throws. After it happened, as Ricky threw, I was listening to them refer to it as a birdie and was trying to figure out if I'd been confused about what was going on. I think a good move would be to have someone mic'd up on the scene listening to the commentary and ready to jump in when requested.

This falls into my comments earlier - I don't know who is producing behind the scenes and deciding which camera is showing at any given time, but it should be on a 30-60 second delay, that's as good as live and doesn't put it any further behind live than a typical web stream is behind ESPN's live score tracking for other sports. If someone can be monitoring what is going on on the cameras, and setting up intelligent switches between camera angles - the entire production is going to look MUCH better. If the product begins to fall behind the live action - cut to the commentators during the walk to the next hole and get back to within a minute of live. This would also allow time for them to get things like the number of shots taken correct.

I'm not prepared to flip through 46 pages of banter, but how come there was no post production coverage this time around from the DGPT?

As soon as I saw it was all 3 hour livestream cuts I bowed out and just watched jomez. I don't have the time personally to flick through all that content to see a couple decent shots.

Spring has finally arrived, it's getting warmer and lighter out. Time to shake off that cabin fever!

I'm not prepared to flip through 46 pages of banter, but how come there was no post production coverage this time around from the DGPT?

As soon as I saw it was all 3 hour livestream cuts I bowed out and just watched jomez. I don't have the time personally to flick through all that content to see a couple decent shots.

Same question for me. I ended up watching Jomez last night but I was hoping to see the final round battle between Ricky and Paul, as well as the FPO final round.

Has anyone looked at the number of views for live coverage at Waco, this year vs. last year?

Spoiler: Numbers are better this year.

Whatever the cause, DGPT pulled in views.
LOL to everyone bitching about the quality and the Jomez decision - keep clicking play to up those view counts!

2019:
R1: 34k
R2: 31k
R3: 43k

2018:
R1: 25k
R2: 21k
R3: 33k

FWIW I hate live coverage and think it's all terrible, and could give two ****s about Steve Dodge - I just find this funny.

Post-pro for life!

Well R3 probably had a higher count due to McBeth's R2 performance and the drama of him trying to catch Ricky.

They seem very nice but not all that good. They tend to wonder bit during the broadcast.

I watched twice when it was raining here and I have to admit I will not do it again. Mostly due to the fact I would rather play than watch a round. Disc golf and for that matter most sports is now appointment viewing. I can watch F9 and B9 coverage in about an hour. I catch up late at night when I have run out of fun stuff to do.

Plus I have to admit I am a Jomez junky, I like Nate and Jerm. Nate is straight as an arrow and Jerm a bit more carefree. They work well together. Plus they can play at or near the current level of the people they cover. It's not like I am listening to some "has been" telling me how the game is played. These two and a few others can actual do the shots they are speaking about. Well, maybe not the Simon throws but everything else. Simon is just a freak, 492 foot drive with a putter at Waco is crazy.

Latest posts