• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else amused by all the jackasses on Facebook asking for sponsorships and free prototypes?

Random Facebook Homer - "I won the intermediate division in a C-Tier 4 months ago, and can throw 400', and won glow doubles last night. Want to sponsor me?"

Prodigy - "Holy crap, this guy sounds like the next Ken Climo. We need to sign him stat! Lets send him a box full of free stuff, and a giant bonus check."

If you don't think the amount of facebook likes says at least something about a business...you're living in the stoneage.

This. Why do pros, businesses, and orgninizations pander for "likes?" Because it is like a form of currency measuring a quantity of digital influence.

Regardless of whether or not they have a website. they have over 4K likes in a week. DD has 9K in years of being in biz. thats what im saying. People still clicked the like button. its not just views. im guessing that would be a lot higher. and now, they are gathering emails. another smart business strategy. the cost of 25 discs, vs all the marketing leads they are getting. very very smart. I am speaking from almost at least a decade of sales experience.

I clicked the like button because Will Schuterick put it on my timeline and asked me to like it. It was a knee jerk reaction and since then i have not been back to the page really because besides the contest they are doing there has been nothing new. I bet more than half the people that liked that page did the same thing. One of the pros who have almost 5000 friends like Will and over 4100 for paige put that on there personal wall and most people hit the like just like I did because it was something to do with disc golf. These were not random likes but likes because their favorite player or players asked them to like it. I actually put more stock in the DD likes because they have not pushed it in the face everyone and the likes came more naturally than just a big push such as this. They have done there contests and stuff but not that much.

I have nothing against prodigy but facebook likes will not be the end all. It will be them that makes or breaks them. I for one am routing for them.

I clicked the like button because Will Schuterick put it on my timeline and asked me to like it. It was a knee jerk reaction and since then i have not been back to the page really because besides the contest they are doing there has been nothing new. I bet more than half the people that liked that page did the same thing. One of the pros who have almost 5000 friends like Will and over 4100 for paige put that on there personal wall and most people hit the like just like I did because it was something to do with disc golf. These were not random likes but likes because their favorite player or players asked them to like it. I actually put more stock in the DD likes because they have not pushed it in the face everyone and the likes came more naturally than just a big push such as this. They have done there contests and stuff but not that much.

I have nothing against prodigy but facebook likes will not be the end all. It will be them that makes or breaks them. I for one am routing for them.

Out of curiosity...how do you know that if you haven't been keeping track?

The argument against this is that the Dynamic Disc figure is not flesh and blood and thus could be something far different in the publics eye in the future while Will and Paige are flesh and blood that will continue to win tourneys, promote and expand their own brand, and thus continuously create new intreast in themselves and therefore prodigy. Dynamic discs is only what people think of it and that could be very different in a year one way or another.

Anyone else amused by all the jackasses on Facebook asking for sponsorships and free prototypes?

Random Facebook Homer - "I won the intermediate division in a C-Tier 4 months ago, and can throw 400', and won glow doubles last night. Want to sponsor me?"

Prodigy - "Holy crap, this guy sounds like the next Ken Climo. We need to sign him stat! Lets send him a box full of free stuff, and a giant bonus check."

Yea there is definitely some ass kissing going on there. I sent a message to see if someone want to come on DGTR but have had no answer.

Yea there is definitely some ass kissing going on there. I sent a message to see if someone want to come on DGTR but have had no answer.

Good luck getting them on. I think that podcast could get a lot of new listeners for your podcast which by the way, I like and appreciate.

The argument against this is that the Dynamic Disc figure is not flesh and blood and thus could be something far different in the publics eye in the future while Will and Paige are flesh and blood that will continue to win tourneys, promote and expand their own brand, and thus continuously create new intreast in themselves and therefore prodigy. Dynamic discs is only what people think of it and that could be very different in a year one way or another.

Which validates it more. It is more people who actually like the page than just following something because someone else does. Believe me i have done that many times and have actually gone back and started unliking pages i no longer am interested in. I am not saying it is a bad thing just don't put to much into it. For me and my site i go by the hits and don't concern myself to much about the likes i have on facebook. One thing though is I know a bunch of those likes are truly people who like the show and not just an inflated number. Time will tell and believe me i use facebook extensively so I know what 4000 likes means I just think some of it is inflated due to the way this all came about. Let's say they only had three decent pros would that number still be there or not?.

Why is it that disc golfers always seem like they all think they are entitled to free stuff? I've noticed this WAY more in DG than any other sport I've been involved in. Practically half the disc golfers I've met think that they should be sponsored for some reason, or another.

Good luck getting them on. I think that podcast could get a lot of new listeners for your podcast which by the way, I like and appreciate.

Well thanks I appreciate you listening truly. I know there was a podcast done by the furthering the disc guys but it really had nothing new. I think they also took some heat because of that. I know they put a post on the site saying that it was not their business to ask certain questions or something like that. I was going to post welcome to the world of podcasting but thought better of it. :wall:

Practically half the disc golfers I've met think that they should be sponsored for some reason, or another.

Maybe because sponsored players aren't that much better than a lot of us. The talent gap in disc golf is MUCH smaller between the top pros and average players than in most sports.

Imo, the only mistake Prodigy has made was announcing they were goi g to change things at all. For some reason some of you people are latching onto that statement, picking it apart, over analyzing it, under analyzing it, dwelling on it, coming up with your own wild ideas of what it is and how it should be, and creating a reason for your ideas to fall short of your expectations when you know absolutely zero about any of it....

Let it play out, Jesus, theyve been an official company for like a week and youre pissed because they dont have a full lineup out yet, or that theyre releasing 4 wide rimmed discs first, you know full well that is what sells best, yet you act perplexed that a company trying to make money would have their initial releases be the likely best sellers, gimme a break

*not fully directed at ChainChaser btw

/rant

Why do people feel entitled to know their plans?

I feel like you may have answered your own question with the first quote. I don't know that people are "hating," or what not, but when a company flies out of the gates with a bunch of pros dropping cryptic statements in a very calculated fashion and then touts that it is going to change the face of disc golf as we know it...people are going to want to know what that means.

If anything, it's a commentary both on Prodigy, but also on our instant gratification society. Prodigy used people's excitement about change in order to build hype for its launch, but now that the brand is out there, people want to know where the beef is, and they are getting impatient because we want it all now. It's the world we live in.

Maybe because sponsored players aren't that much better than a lot of us. The talent gap in disc golf is MUCH smaller between the top pros and average players than in most sports.

I got to disagree to. I have seen schusterick and feldberg play close up and I was amazed at the difference between them and the 1000 rated players they were playing against. The first round those boys hung in tight but the second round schusterick and feldberg just pulled away and they did not have a chance.

Yes. I play regularly with a few of the touring pros, so I see it first hand. For some reason everyone thinks they are the next big thing for disc golf. I just tell them they are special, just like everyone else.

I for one follow disc golf pros on facebook because they might post something insightful or intreasting about disc golf but unfortunately it is the exception rather than the rule. I don't follow innova and discraft because I don't care about their self promotion. I do follow MVP and Prodigy because I do care about their self promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts