• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity...how do you know that if you haven't been keeping track?

Because I did not say i never went back and said i did for the contest and but that was the first time I had been back for a couple days. Plus tourney player gave the amount with his post so i knew what from that. Keep up Please!!:D

I never said there was no gap. The gap is much smaller.

On a given day, with everything clicking, a 970 player could beat Will Schusterick. Maybe even a 950 (or lower) player if Will was having a bad day. A 950 player CAN beat a 1030 player. I don't have the time to research right now, but I bet this has happened in tourneys, more than a few times. The same can't be said for most sports.

On a given day, with everything clicking, a 970 player could beat Will Schusterick. Maybe even a 950 (or lower) player if Will was having a bad day. A 950 player CAN beat a 1030 player. I don't have the time to research right now, but I bet this has happened in tourneys, more than a few times. The same can't be said for most sports.

Yes, anything can happen. But it doesn't very often.

I'm a 980 rated golfer that has probably played against Uli well over 100 times. I've probably beaten him 5 rounds (that is being generous to me), and those 5 times I was playing my best and Paul was screwing around.

I once thought I was hot **** and talking crap to him after one of those times I beat him. He then challenged me to a round where I could throw any shot I wanted, but he could only throw sidearm. I accepted. He beat me by 8 strokes. Humble pie was served.

Last edited:
This thread is straying again....time for a v3.0?

So...about this new company...

under-construction.jpg

Oh, and thanks to Lavone for sticking his neck out to talk to the DGCR rabble.

This. Why do pros, businesses, and orgninizations pander for "likes?" Because it is like a form of currency measuring a quantity of digital influence.

It's worse than just pandering for likes. There are now several firms that literally sell likes. I big company can hire them, and pay for thousands of likes. The firm will charge, say $5 for a like, and then the like-sellers will pay folks in, like, Egypt and s**t, to like stuff all day for $1/like.

Hope your ready to defend that because you will have to.

Id bet the odds are very severe.

I'm kinda with you here. Is it likely to happen? No. But a lower-level DGer likely has a better chance of keeping up with a top pro than, say, a lower-level running back has a chance of keeping up with Adrian Peterson. I know that's a wide comparison, but with disc golf still kind of an "everyman" sport, the gap is smaller than in most other professional avenues.

That doesn't mean all these lower-level players should be sponsored, just that the gap isn't as large as in other sports.

big sky is right, the talent gap between an Am and Open players is nowhere as big as a guy playing basketball in the park and a NBA player. if you think otherwise you're hyping up this sport way to much. pro disc golfers as good as they are aren't amazingly gifted athletes because all of the amazingly gifted athletes are playing basketball or football; that's where fame and fortune lies. you could take an Advanced player and stick them in a group with Open players and to the non disc golfer they wouldn't look that out of place. You take a pretty good football player who played college ball and put them on a NFL field and they'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Even in golf it's not even close; you can take an Am disc golfer and the best Open players, put them on a tough championship level dg course and after 18 the scoring spread is at most 20.

you take an Am ball golfer and the best Pros and put them on a championship level golf course and after 18 the scoring spread is going to be up in the 40's or 50's.. maybe higher.

Last edited:
I'm kinda with you here. Is it likely to happen? No. But a lower-level DGer likely has a better chance of keeping up with a top pro than, say, a lower-level running back has a chance of keeping up with Adrian Peterson. I know that's a wide comparison, but with disc golf still kind of an "everyman" sport, the gap is smaller than in most other professional avenues.

That doesn't mean all these lower-level players should be sponsored, just that the gap isn't as large as in other sports.

Football isn't a proper example due to the physical tools required to be good at certain positions.

Baseball is better, which proper technique can allow you excel at any position.

I also think you have to properly qualify "am" for other sports. D-leaguer compared to NBA may be better than random dude on the street.

The gap is just as large......just seems smaller because most courses require only 54 or less shots to complete. 1 shot in disc golf is comparable to 1.5 strokes in BG on a par 72.

Maybe because sponsored players aren't that much better than a lot of us. The talent gap in disc golf is MUCH smaller between the top pros and average players than in most sports.

I would agree. While the talent gap between me and McBeth is quite large, it would seem small compared to the talent gap between me and Lebron James (or even the last guy on the Bobcat's bench). And I would consider myself an average bball player.

This is just bad math. A 970 player will occaisionally throw a scratch round. a 1030 player is almost always better than scratch, if not always period. Maybe a 970 player only loses to a 1030 player by a few strokes most of the time, but they lose to them almost all the time.

That is really far from the truth.

Maybe because sponsored players aren't that much better than a lot of us. The talent gap in disc golf is MUCH smaller between the top pros and average players than in most sports.

Yeah..just look at the score differential between pros and am3 in a weekend tourney.. practically the same score.. don't take into account long pads vs shorts. As a side not I really ddothink we should gut out some divisions though and streamline tournaments so there isn't so many divisions but that's a whole mother topic.

Oh and chuckers are cheap. They really do expect everything for free or at a significant cost reduction and this is something we have to get over as a sport if we want to be larger and more mainstream. Money has to come in so we can get better courses, equipment, companies, and tourneys.

a lot of the top college bball players never come close to cutting it in the NBA, the talent gap is insanely larger than anything in disc golf. the talent pool and numbers of people playing our sport aren't there to compare. if somebody like Lebron grew up playing disc golf he'd be crushing everyone because he's a born gifted athlete. his strength, conditioning, muscle memory, focus, hand eye coordination are far above anyone playing disc golf professionally.

big sky is right, the talent gap between an Am and Open players is nowhere as big as a guy playing basketball in the park and a NBA player. if you think otherwise you're hyping up this sport way to much. pro disc golfers as good as they are aren't amazingly gifted athletes because all of the amazingly gifted athletes are playing basketball or football; that's where fame and fortune lies. you could take an Advanced player and stick them in a group with Open players and to the non disc golfer they wouldn't look that out of place. You take a pretty good football player who played college ball and put them on a NFL field and they'll stick out like a sore thumb.

Even in golf it's not even close; you can take an Am disc golfer and the best Open players, put them on a tough championship level dg course and after 18 the scoring spread is at most 20.

you take an Am ball golfer and the best Pros and put them on a championship level golf course and after 18 the scoring spread is going to be up in the 40's or 50's.. maybe higher.

There is so much win in this post, it's not even funny.

Football isn't a proper example due to the physical tools required to be good at certain positions.

Baseball is better, which proper technique can allow you excel at any position.

The sport you choose to compare doesn't matter. We're talking about a talent gap between high end and low end players. But, for the sake of argument, I would venture that most college pitchers couldn't hold a candle to Roy Halladay, and that some college DGers could give McBeth at least a challenge.

If I would of quit back then from the heat there would be no DGTR or maybe even "the Furthering the disc" podcast that just recently started up.

Wow. /me unsubscribes. Straw, camel, back and all that.

I truly hope that Prodigy discs does change the face of disc golf.

I think you could argue they already have.

I hope that the plan is solid and we see disc golf become the next best thing since sliced bread but don't complain when you hype this up and make an announcement date then have really nothing to show anyone.

Nothing to show? Call me crazy but signing 11 top pros is not nothing. If you mean no physical discs, what, you're complaining about waiting two weeks? But even there they had the PDGA approvals to "show" you.

I am nobody really and don't claim to be but I see this as mistakes and not a bitch.

And you're basing this assessment on what, exactly? Your vast business knowledge?

-no product for people to see, touch or throw

Patience. The Volt was approved months before it was available.

-no website for people to check out(facebook is fine but many people do not use it)

That was a mistake. No reason not to have that ready.

-to much secrecy, this is disc golf not national defense

What secrecy? What have they not shared that you feel entitled to know?

Imo, the only mistake Prodigy has made was announcing they were goi g to change things at all. For some reason some of you people are latching onto that statement, picking it apart, over analyzing it, under analyzing it, dwelling on it, coming up with your own wild ideas of what it is and how it should be, and creating a reason for your ideas to fall short of your expectations when you know absolutely zero about any of it....

QFT.

BTW, it's off topic but I too think that the gap between the top disc golfers and the ones a tier below is smaller than in most other sports as well. One thing that supports this? The number of people playing at those various levels.

It's kind of deceptive, because what I think you're thinking about is, there'r a lot of really really good golfers, in the high 900's. But how few 1000+, and then, how few 1030?

Hell, I can throw a theoretical 950 rated round here and there, but that's not the same as being rated 950.

W/r/t football players, there are "lower level" RBs that can run the 40 faster than AP, but that doesn't make them AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts