• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explain to me how any of this is for the better: Poor pictures, very little information as a whole, no website, and no product for anyone to purchase.

I've got to agree with Meulen on this. And it's not like they had 1 day to roll everything out. If rumors are correct, they've had months and months of time to plan all this. The website should already be built and tested, ready and waiting for someone to turn the switch on at a moment's notice, and that moment should have already happened on 1/1/13. Here we are two days after the over-hyped big reveal, with no Prodigy website, no order forms for retailers, and information is leaking out like molasses on a cold day.

In 6 months, the main thing that is going to matter is how good the discs are and how easy it is for retailers to put them on the shelves. The way things are going, though, I fear they don't have a grip on their project management, which could sink the ship before it even gets under way, no matter how good the product is.

Paige responded to someone's Twitter question about compensation structure that "some things should be left confidential." Looks like we won't be getting those details anytime soon.

On the one hand, I understand - it's business. On the other, if this is such a new and revolutionary concept in the disc golf world, why not talk about it? It could drive other companies to be more competitive. Perhaps not all the pros are making the same amount.

That makes me wonder if the extra $10,000 is really enough to keep you from burning out on the road

I went and looked at that Facebook post where this $10,000 claim was originally made, and the same guy who likely invented that number suggested two posts later that Discraft and Innova could prohibit their ex-pros from throwing their discs during the mixed-bag stage.

So I'm guessing that there's nothing supporting that $10,000 number.

That makes me wonder if the extra $10,000 is really enough to keep you from burning out on the road and what happens to the ownership stake if it doesn't, what will they do with a player that just doesn't perform but is still out there throwing and how are they going to bring in new players since eventually they would run out of company to give away to sponsored players.
My curiosity is what happens to the sponsored players ownership stakes if they don't move as many discs as they hope to, even if the players are performing well. Do they cut the weakest link, or do they cut everybody a little bit?

Conversely, if things do take off, do they add more people to the team or do they let the existing team reap the proceeds?

Paige responded to someone's Twitter question about compensation structure that "some things should be left confidential." Looks like we won't be getting those details anytime soon.

On the one hand, I understand - it's business. On the other, if this is such a new and revolutionary concept in the disc golf world, why not talk about it? It could drive other companies to be more competitive. Perhaps not all the pros are making the same amount.

Don't you think the insiders at Innova and DC will figure that out/hear about it eventually? Not everything has to be officially put out there publicly. I respect that.

what is this backlash you speak of? A group of people on DGCR specubitching? I'm sure the company can survive the firestorm.

BAHAHAHAHAHHA. Thank you for this new word. I was going to rag on the people in this thread for taking things too personally, being angry at the hype, etc. etc. etc.

Lets get this straight. You're mad at the way they went about things? Hah. You're dumb.

You're mad you can't get the plastic yet? You're dumb.

You're mad the website isn't up yet? You're dumb.

Stop being so dumb.

Has anybody figured out why they had to wait until 1/1/2013?? I still am mystified by that.

One benefit is the manufacturer receives a discount on the approval fee from the PDGA for their first calendar year of manufacturing. If they released in December, they only receive this benefitis for a few weeks. In the grand scheme, a thousand dollars saved during approval is probably just a drop in the bucket.

One benefit is the manufacturer receives a discount on the approval fee from the PDGA for their first calendar year of manufacturing. If they released in December, they only receive this benefitis for a few weeks. In the grand scheme, a thousand dollars saved during approval is probably just a drop in the bucket.

Logic. i like it.

lol... so on one hand these pros want to take DG to the next level and get it on the level of other professional sports.

but on the other hand they want to keep everything confidential...

well guess what Prodigies, in other professional sports things like compensation are very public. personally i don't care what they make but that's just laughable that they want to keep so much so secretive while at the same time they're leaking **** all over facebook to make all of this seem more than it is.

The D3 still sounds intriguing. I'll probably get one, find I can throw a Teebird farther, and put it in the pile on top of my Sword.

At any rate, by the time the season ramps up for normal folk (eg, late spring), their plastic will be ready and I'm sure they'll be able to establish some distribution, if not the big stores right off the bat, then the Community Discs' of the world.

I'm sure there's a lot of work at the factory that isn't pumping out discs, so a few molds are ready, the rest are probably in prototype/testing. Some companies put out one, maybe 2 molds a year? these guys gotta be working on AT LEAST 10. That's a conservative estimate figuring for 2 mids, 2 putters, 2 fairways plus the high speeds already approved. I must say, I'm impressed.

What they'll have is likely an improved version NSDG type stuff with the players on tour, and lots of video output. Take a year to get established, and then next year maybe a Prodigy Open.

Nikko also mentioned a "national/international disc golf league." Whatever that might be.

These guys are not want for plans. The pros they have, they don't just have a new sponsor and new discs so they can go play - THEY HAVE JOBS TO DO.

Most importantly, everything will be okay.

lol... so on one hand these pros want to take DG to the next level and get it on the level of other professional sports.

but on the other hand they want to keep everything confidential...

well guess what Prodigies, in other professional sports things like compensation are very public. personally i don't care what they make but that's just laughable that they want to keep so much so secretive while at the same time they're leaking **** all over facebook to make all of this seem more than it is.

keeping information confidential is synonymous with being professional.

Umm, guys for all we know...

I went and looked at that Facebook post where this $10,000 claim was originally made, and the same guy who likely invented that number suggested two posts later that Discraft and Innova could prohibit their ex-pros from throwing their discs during the mixed-bag stage.

So I'm guessing that there's nothing supporting that $10,000 number.

....there may be no salary to go public with, or perhaps not one that can have a determinate number stated in advance.

Umm, guys for all we know...

....there may be no salary to go public with, or perhaps not one that can have a determinate number stated in advance.

Agreed. But I'm curious what the pull was from their old sponsors then. What does a vested interest entail?

Name one professional athlete whose salary is not public.

that's comparing apples to oranges. Disc golf is structured more like ball golf than it is like football/baseball. football/baseball players salaries are very public, but their sponsorship deals tend to be more private. Same thing here, you still get to know what players get paid for winning events. But the details of their sponsorship should be kept secretive.

a vested interest means they are invested (2% ownership) in the company.

But where is this number coming from? Is it just something people are throwing around? I haven't seen anything published on this that isn't rumor.

As for ball golf, I am pretty sure you can find out how much Tiger and Phil's deals are for. Even basketball players' sponsorships are well-defined. I think if disc golfers want to be taken seriously as professionals, then the kid gloves need to come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts