• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea how many throws that has been through. If it looks like that after 1000 tree hits, thats pretty awesome. If it's only 2 tree hits, that sucks. No way to judge from a single picture though.

Also, whoever said that these are Domey by reading the specs, should read the thread about flattening being illegal. It was stated that the specs have ZERO measurement of dome height or flatness. So until we get these in our hands, or see profile pictures, we won't know domey or not.

good point. it looks grippy and delicious in that picture.

i'm curious to see where all the extra height came from in the specs. I still don't quite understand all of the measurements on that pdf... but i'm going to continue to act like i do

The plastic IS grippy and delicious and the pros have been throwing these for a long time for sure.

This company is extremely far from amateurish. They're just doing things different than the disc golf masses are used to. It's for the better.

The plastic IS grippy and delicious and the pros have been throwing these for a long time for sure.

This company is extremely far from amateurish. They're just doing things different than the disc golf masses are used to. It's for the better.

Explain to me how any of this is for the better: Poor pictures, very little information as a whole, no website, and no product for anyone to purchase.

Explain to me how any of this is better: Poor pictures, very little information as a whole, no website, and no product for anyone to purchase.

the company has had 1 day to roll things out. and it was a holiday. jesus, give em some time to get content out. the last thing i want to see is a bunch of stuff rushed out all at once. that is ametuerish, so far Prodigy seems patient and deliberate with their actions.

Explain to me how any of this is for the better: Poor pictures, very little information as a whole, no website, and no product for anyone to purchase.

How are the pictures poor? There will be a website, and the only thing that has happened is the products were submitted to the PDGA for approval.

We as a community have built up this hype over the past month or so. So now that the date came, a lot of people have a sense that they owe us something. We did this. Not them. They announced the company on January first, along with the team and disc submission list. That's a pretty good deal of information. You're going to find out everything and get to throw the plastic within a short period of time, that's for sure. I can promise you the people behind this are not stupid and would not do anything to jeopardize the business of even a single customer. So for me just try and be patient and I promise you it will pay off.

NO! NOW! NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW! ANYTHING LESS IS UNACCEPTABLE! FAILURE! just another pretender. I've been saying it since the beginning 24 hours ago...seems like only yesterday...sigh... How times have changed.

hmmm they sure do looks good but someone let me know when they release something i can actually throw :eek: .. patience ian... patience

If the question of how paying top pros will grow the sport or bring spectators can be answered I might believe they have something new going on besides new discs. But I don't see how paying the touring pros benefits the growth of disc golf at all.
I just wonder how far you can go with something like this if they are really giving the players a stake in the company.

If you go back five years ago, maybe Cale Leiviska and Garrett Gurthie would have been on the radar. Paul Ulibarri had won AM Worlds so he might have been as well. Nikko Locastro was a known young talent but he was radioactive back then due to some on-course issues he was having. Jeremy Koling was known in the NC circles then but he hadn't really done anything. None of the Women they signed were a factor in disc golf at all back then. Will Shusterick, Ricky Wysocki and Cameron Colglazier were unknown school kids. Players like Kyle Crabtree, Matty Orum, Coda Hatfield, Angela Tschiggfrie and Nicole Frazer would have been more likely targets five years ago.

That makes me wonder if the extra $10,000 is really enough to keep you from burning out on the road and what happens to the ownership stake if it doesn't, what will they do with a player that just doesn't perform but is still out there throwing and how are they going to bring in new players since eventually they would run out of company to give away to sponsored players.

It leaves me with a lot of questions, not a lot of answers. Good thing I don't have to come up with any.

I'll agree, but now play stupid. "They just released the discs yesterday, and it's already beat to ****?

(solid point, but...)The discs aren't even released yet. Only the pros on the team even have them, and who knows how long they've had them. I'll 100% agree that they didn't think through and insure every picture was pristine, that would have been smarter for sure.

New companies are judged fairly harshly, especially with all the hype that has been created over the last few weeks. Every move they make is going to be critiqued hard. I'm intrigued by the stuff, but happy with what I currently throw. I am slightly put off by the manner in which this was all released. Gave off a bit too much of a Lebron James "The Decision" to me.

But again, with the type of man power they have for this up coming tour, they REALLY need a world champ to win with their discs this year, and just imagine if they sweep all the NT's? I mean, dang that would put some amazing publicity for their products.

Has anybody figured out why they had to wait until 1/1/2013?? I still am mystified by that.

that depends entirely on your definition of "growth." if you're talking about more courses in parks, then it doesn't really change anything. If you see growth as more mainstream attention, then it certainly can. Currently, the vast majority of disc golf exposure is dictated by Innova and Discraft. And because they do well, they haven't seen much cause to get to the next level. Vibram has been shaking the branched the past couple years, really pushing on getting more high level payouts on the pro tour.

As much as us intermediate folk don't see the initial benefit, a larger pro tour means more exposure, which means more sponsors, that evolves to mainstream and television time, which means a greater reach to potentially new players, which creates increased and renewed interest from schools and parks to grow the sport locally.

Right now, we intellectually skip all that and stick with just, "schools and parks and local growth." but there's truly only so far a school will be willing to go with a sport that has little true public appeal and relies solely on the local DG organization to "sell" the concept.

But that's just my view.
You make good points but I don't see this company creating a larger pro tour. They are not adding any new pros to the sport (which I know is obvious :) ) nor have they announced any new tournaments.

I just wonder how far you can go with something like this if they are really giving the players a stake in the company.

If you go back five years ago, maybe Cale Leiviska and Garrett Gurthie would have been on the radar. Paul Ulibarri had won AM Worlds so he might have been as well. Nikko Locastro was a known young talent but he was radioactive back then due to some on-course issues he was having. Jeremy Koling was known in the NC circles then but he hadn't really done anything. None of the Women they signed were a factor in disc golf at all back then. Will Shusterick, Ricky Wysocki and Cameron Colglazier were unknown school kids. Players like Kyle Crabtree, Matty Orum, Coda Hatfield, Angela Tschiggfrie and Nicole Frazer would have been more likely targets five years ago.

That makes me wonder if the extra $10,000 is really enough to keep you from burning out on the road and what happens to the ownership stake if it doesn't, what will they do with a player that just doesn't perform but is still out there throwing and how are they going to bring in new players since eventually they would run out of company to give away to sponsored players.

It leaves me with a lot of questions, not a lot of answers. Good thing I don't have to come up with any.

I think this is a more realistic view. I'm curious to see how these young players deal with the added pressure to win for their company.

Because they can? People are getting on them for not having discs ready for their release, so maybe even 1/1 was too early. The backlash would have been worse if this had come earlier.

what is this backlash you speak of? A group of people on DGCR specubitching? I'm sure the company can survive the firestorm.

This is what a lot of people who keep proclaiming about all of these pros leaving the big two for upstart companies seem to be forgetting.

Like any hobby that a lot of people get into to without much formal instruction, there's a lot of what I'll call "dumb money" being spent on it by people who don't know any better, and the big two are well aware of this. They also know that they don't have to have a stable of sponsored pros to go after it. This is why you see a lot of Wal-Marts, and general sporting goods stores like Dick's and Academy now selling 150 class Innova, and molds that were never that popular like Wolfs, Polecats and Skeeters.

Missed this earlier, Skeeters are great beginner discs. point and shoot.

Because they can? People are getting on them for not having discs ready for their release, so maybe even 1/1 was too early. The backlash would have been worse if this had come earlier.

But they made it sound like they had been sooooo eager to share all of this. but they couldnt until the 1st. Im just curious if there were legal reasons for that.

I'll agree, but now play stupid. "They just released the discs yesterday, and it's already beat to ****? They provide aces the day of release, and beat-in the day of release." If I was showcasing my product, I would have turned the disc 90 degrees before I snapped a picture, or take a picture of a different disc, that's all. The company as a whole just appears to be amateurish. Poor pictures, very little information as a whole, no website, and no product for anyone to purchase. I'm just not impressed at this point.

Amatuerish? Look at the hype in DGCR the mystery has led to 4 threads in 2 days. They scooped up some of the best names from established companies.

Amatuers would have jumped the gun and flooded the market with product before proving the product is worthy of the hype. I think we will see them take all of the steam out of Dynamic Discs new line as well as put a hurting on Westside.

as far as waiting until 1/1 they probably had one of their pros under contract until the new years.

Well this could go either way. they have made a team of "prodigies" but it could turn out to be the children of the corn.

MJ stated in a thread that when he switched companies it took him about a year to get a full handle on the new molds. Will these young guns be able to shorten their learning curve? Have they been using prototypes all last year? and in competition? Did that put them in breach of contract with their previous sponsors? Is that what caused Innova to publicize their request for loyalty pledges?

Well this spring will be chock full of new discs. Westside is putting out a lot of new stuff. Prodigy should be all out on the shelves. DD may have some new surprises. Legacy is churning out good things as well. I just hope I have enough money.

But they made it sound like they had been sooooo eager to share all of this. but they couldnt until the 1st. Im just curious if there were legal reasons for that.

If you mean because of their team, you're probably right. Contracts for sponsorships wouldn't be signed until 2013 started. They could've released product information prior, but it looks like they decided to lead with their big guns. Laying out a pro team like that is a good way to make a lot of people scratch their heads and be intrigued. Instead of just being another disc company releasing another mold.

Well this spring will be chock full of new discs. Westside is putting out a lot of new stuff. Prodigy should be all out on the shelves. DD may have some new surprises. Legacy is churning out good things as well. I just hope DISC GOLFERS have enough money.

Corrected that for you!!:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts