• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
They all definitely get bonuses. That has been mentioned by Paul McBeth among others.

Also, I'm not certain about this, but if they are going to be touring, Prodigy might be paying for room and board (at least board), which would seriously cut down on their living expenses.

I've never said anything about prodigy fyi

http://nldg.net/launch-prodigy-disc/

That seems to be the plan and what they mean by growing the sport. plus add in the talk that DG will have 4 tournaments on the TV this year!!!! Great Stuff coming!

Thanks for sharing. This, more than anything else related to the Prodigy launch, is exciting. It shows that at least they are trying to do more than just make a couple bucks throwing discs.

I read on a little further about the plan, and it really just sounds like a street team. I like the idea - let people do as much or as little as they want - but I worry about how sustainable something like this is. You really need to find the most dedicated, but reliable, people in each region who aren't already doing their part running tournaments or being board members of local clubs. It's a challenge, to be sure, but I hope it is successful.

Thanks for sharing. This, more than anything else related to the Prodigy launch, is exciting. It shows that at least they are trying to do more than just make a couple bucks throwing discs.

I read on a little further about the plan, and it really just sounds like a street team. I like the idea - let people do as much or as little as they want - but I worry about how sustainable something like this is. You really need to find the most dedicated, but reliable, people in each region who aren't already doing their part running tournaments or being board members of local clubs. It's a challenge, to be sure, but I hope it is successful.

i actually emailed a few people i know locally who teach and are involved in their schools DG clubs.

I've heard unconfirmed rumors that Legacy is a front company for a fairly large German conglomerate, which has deep pockets, and expertise in manufacturing.

I can confirm with 99.99% accuracy that this not true.
DSCJNKY

All of them are drivers with 2.3 cm wings. Somebody nudge me when they make something I can actually throw.

You're gonna be waiting a while buddy. :| :p

But yeah, 2.3 is no bueno for me. Shame, D2 would be sweet for a Mighty Ducks dye. :\

so many haters out there.
Chuck said that the PDGA was asked to release info on a certain date.
for all we know they could have ask them to release set A on this date, set B on this date, set C on this date....etc. that way each set of discs generates buzz and talk. its not a bad marketing strategy.
I also believe during the video he said all of the discs will be available to the public end of January. It would be stupifying if they did not have a complete bag before the Memorial. I wouldn't be surprised if the Team already has the full set and is working them in.
Support any DG company that comes out with a solid plan. Don't hate! The more successfully companies there are the more intrigued investors will become. I hope like Legacy, Prodigy focuses on making discs for competitive players. Not mass producing for chuckers.

The market is made up of chuckers. Tournament players are a tiny percent of all players. Innovas hottest product is the Blizzard ultralight stuff. This is not made for the top players in the world but the occasional, casual player. Even among tournament players, the best players, the Pros buy very few discs. They either win them or get the for free from sponsorship. Ask anyone who runs tournaments how many discs the Pros buy.

The timing of Prodigy makes no sense. If it is true that this company has been 5 years in the making then why not release a slew of new discs in November in time for Christmas sales?

Prodigy releases 4 discs. All drivers. All with the same rim width (2.3cm). Isn't this the same size as a Boss or Force? Wide rim drivers are not user friendly for casual players. Someone explain how this makes sense.

Prodigy buys off a bunch of the top players, reportedly paying them $1,000 a month plus 2% ownership of the company (each). So after signing 12 players they have given away one quarter of the company. Not one of these players was a dominant Pro 5 years ago. How many will be dominant 5 years from now? And how many more Pros can Prodigy afford? Unless there is big $ backing them not many. Will the newest hotshot sign with Prodigy if they aren't also given 2% ownership, like the other Team members they are now beating in tournament?

So the Big 2 manufacturers bow out of the bidding war and wait to sign the next wave of superstars? The Big 2 make great discs and have an established distribution network. Does Prodigy or Dynamic Discs have anything to trump those advantages?

And from DD's perspective, they have to be feeling sick that Prodigy launched the same time they did. Btw, DD also launches AFTER Christmas sales. Why?

None of this is hate. These are just questions.

This is not a brisk week for disc sales for anybody.

Christmas lead up might not even be that significant either.

What is our sports yearly "kick off"? The memorial? I'd schedule a coming out party then.

However to "release" first words of your existence there is too late.

I know our local DG store has a mad sales rush season, and it's not now.

If you think this out, it really is a genius move.

First, the name. The name Prodigy makes it one of the coolest names for the up-and-comers of the sport. Every new kid who comes in and wants to be the next DG Prodigy is going to buy their discs, especially because they have all the young kids in the sport that the newer kids are going to want to emulate.

Second, the founding members are names that are well respected in the sport, and from Flyboy to Dean Tannok they certainly are pulling good people to the company in both players and management. Other than McBeth, they snagged pretty much all of the names you'll be seeing on top of the sport over the next 5-10 years.

And the plastic? If the plastic is as good as has been said, and stays quality controlled, I have a feeling they'll sell pretty well. Everyone is bitching about the names of the discs, the amount they're releasing, etc. etc. etc. Who the F cares? If they release badass plastic, badass discs, and the quality control is there.. then these discs could be the 'new standard' and could definitely make a mark in what discs are in people's bags.

And while Innova has the casual players market pretty locked in, if Prodigy makes an explosion in the tournament scene then that could trickle out to the casual market. Think of the brands like Legacy and MVP that have made a niche for themselves without hype like this, or backing like this, or a team like this...

All this hype, and their website isn't even running....for shaaaaame!

J/K, in all seriousness, I'm ready to get my hands on some of this plastic and see how it flies, dyes, and pleases the eyes. :popcorn:

Came here to make a comment about the disc names and the Mighty Ducks, but BrotherDave beat me to that.

Well anyway... I'm kind of excited. I'll definitely give each model a trial to see if it'll be something to take over what's in my bag already, but I'm skeptical that I could like them THAT much more than what I already have.

Looking forward to what this company can do in the coming year, though.

I don't have time to read all the posts in the thread. How is Prodigy going to pay 11 sponsored players $10,000 each, and they haven't sold a single disc yet? Who else is backing them? Between start-up costs, production, materials, payroll, marketing, the 10K to each player...etc...they must already be a few hundred thousand in the hole.

So who is the one with the deep pockets?

I'll probably pass on the first wave of discs as the rim width a.k.a speed is too much for my arm and grip. I will however be anxiously awaiting the putters, mids and fairways. I dig the disc names. Seems to give the company a more professional feel than naming them after mythical beasts, birds and random power adjectives.

I don't have time to read all the posts in the thread. How is Prodigy going to pay 11 sponsored players $10,000 each, and they haven't sold a single disc yet? Who else is backing them? Between start-up costs, production, materials, payroll, marketing, the 10K to each player...etc...they must already be a few hundred thousand in the hole.

So who is the one with the deep pockets?

You're assuming they've paid those players something already. I'm guessing they haven't. They have no marketing yet... they don't even have a website. What they have right now is a stack of prototypes, a facebook page, and some paper with some signatures on them. That doesn't require a huge amount of capital.

Like they say, promises are cheap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts