• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Professionalism in discs

Indistinguishable bingo number names largely don't market plastic very well. That's pretty much been proven. I can't think of a single Prodigy mold that sticks out as a signature one. Aside from the PD, Discmania really doesn't have any either.

more specifically the names of discs being professional.
I believe the word you're looking for is homogenized. Suburbanites and other do gooders like to do that to most anything they haven't already ruined.

Non issue for me. What bothers me is that there are 5 versions of every disc, and each plastic blend has its own flight characteristic. When you think about it there really could be so many more goofy names.

Its all marketing, much like Coke and Pepsi. Lightening did what you are suggesting naming their discs #1 Hyzer, Rubber Putter, etc., but nobody bough their discs.

Pretty sure that over the years that Lightning has been around, they sold a lot of product. It has been their lack of innovation in the past 5-10 years or so is why they are now irrelevant.

The kids I teach disc golf to absolutely love the names (and the artwork). The discs are almost like Pokemon cards to them. The cooler the name and stamp, the more they want them.

But how will we ever hashtag growthesport with such unprofessional names? Disc names are holding disc golf back and are the #1 thing preventing disc golf from going to the next level.

Please give me a break

I have wanted to get rid of my M-5 for a while because of the name. Maybe I need to wipe it and dip-dye it with the name Marvin. I could even put a little space helmet on it, then I can keep it and feel good about myself.

Henceforth I decree all M-5's shall be known as Marvin!

But how will we ever hashtag growthesport with such unprofessional names? Disc names are holding disc golf back and are the #1 thing preventing disc golf from going to the next level.

Please give me a break

Yes, how do cars sell with unprofessional names like Mustang, Diablo, Cherokee, Accord ets. Totally unprofessional. Products have names, get used to it. It's the letter and number combos that are hard to keep track of. Jussi figured this out fairly quickly, and they started to add on names, so the PD is also called the Freak <they went mania themed with their disc names>.

the japanese, italians, and americans like to name their cars with aspirational titles. Prius, Testarossa, Corvette. the germans like to use letter/number designations (bmw M3, Mercedes E500).

a disc is a disc. either way they're getting the same 4 or 5 disc flight rating designation by places like disc golf center so we can still make sense of it in the end.

discmania went full crazy naming (literally because all were some sort of psychiatric/medical disorder names) then well full german/cold number letter designation right after. so the PD is THE FREAK, but now the new discs are merely "power driver".

a good disc is a good disc name or number designation be dammed. even newer discs like the Tern is a head scratching choice, but eventually actually makes total sense by sheer luck (because when thrown hard the disc will in fact "turn", but also does have incredible glide like a Tern bird - floaty and graceful).

damn it you made me ramble.

486.jpg

Its about trying to create a fun product.

Personally, I love blank top discs and wish manufactures would put the name disc(whatever they want to call it is fine with me) off to the side, preferably around the rim area. That way the dome is unaffected by some gaudy/obnoxious stamp and the disc is discretely labeled. The label being small and near the rim allows me to indentify the disc not other players.

This is how I would cast my wand anhow..

Personally, I love blank top discs and wish manufactures would put the name disc(whatever they want to call it is fine with me) off to the side, preferably around the rim area. That way the dome is unaffected by some gaudy/obnoxious stamp and the disc is discretely labeled. The label being small and near the rim allows me to indentify the disc not other players.

Agreed. I'm a fan of the older Discraft Elite Z stamps. Small logos at 12&6 o'clock. Simple, clean, and effective.

Pretty sure that over the years that Lightning has been around, they sold a lot of product. It has been their lack of innovation in the past 5-10 years or so is why they are now irrelevant.

Yeah they did sell some discs back when Innova and Discraft were the only other name around. My point is this isn't "ball" golf, with a 3-iron, 7-iron, etc.

That is how Vibram does it.

I believe the word you're looking for is homogenized. Suburbanites and other do gooders like to do that to most anything they haven't already ruined.

Urbanite snob! :p

I have wanted to get rid of my M-5 for a while because of the name. Maybe I need to wipe it and dip-dye it with the name Marvin. I could even put a little space helmet on it, then I can keep it and feel good about myself.

Henceforth I decree all M-5's shall be known as Marvin!

the japanese, italians, and americans like to name their cars with aspirational titles. Prius, Testarossa, Corvette. the germans like to use letter/number designations (bmw M3, Mercedes E500).

Ther's a solution in there somewhere. :)

The namers all switch to numbers and letters for their premium marques. Does that mean Millennium and Discmania are the Cadillacs to Innova's GM? Or are they the Lincoln/Mercury to Innova's Ford?

Then cut out all the parts about a flying disc! There are a gazillion sports to be normal and respected in... why mess up disc golf? Keep it weird. Embrace that or play tennis and be respected. Never thought I'd see the day were Keep Disc Golf Weird would be a necessary mantra.

Love this post