• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro's - Fewest discs in the bag - ratio

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet but Crazy John Brooks used to carry 3 discs. Viper, Roc, and an Aviar back when he was really, really good and fun to watch play.

Last spring, I was lucky enough to play a casual round with a world champ (~1000 rated at the time). I had 25 discs on my cart and he was carrying a sling bag with 7-8 discs(not molds, discs). I asked him why so few discs. He responded with something that I try to keep in mind when building my bag. He said, "I can play with a small bag and be confident that I chose the best disc in my bag for the shot, or I can play with 20-25 discs and possibly choose the perfect disc for the shot but I might be thinking I should have chose that other disc in there and I don't want that doubt in my head while I'm trying to execute a shot. Basically, I can make a confident bad disc selection or I can make an uncertain good disc selection; I choose confidence."

I'm not saying this is the end all be all to what way is best. It is just another viewpoint that I think is worth considering. I personally am down to about 14-16 discs in my bag at this point (8-9 molds), and there is still times where I waiver on the teepad thinking, "Should it be the other buzzz?"

Anyway, I guess my opinion is that it is all about balance. I don't want to have too many or too few discs. All about balance.

We have a local that only carries three discs: XL, Buzzz, and Challenger! He's not at the pro level, but competes in open and is always in the running for the winnings at local events...

One of Madison's best disc golfers uses an Innova Standard Bag so he's only carrying 10-12 discs...13 tops.

I play with a guy who carries a few rocs and a couple of bosses. He's 990 rated or so. And he's 54.

read somewhere that Ron Russell only carried three molds and crazy carried three discs back in the day.

I don't know if that was a regular trend, but I do think when he won World's all he had was a Cyclone, Comet, and I'm thinking Magnet as his putter.

A lot of people that I play with including myself carry 3-4 Roc's or versions of, which would increase that ratio. My playing buddies, also carry 3-4 TeeBirds, 2-3 Aviars and a few other discs sprinkled in. It's kinda like Barry Schultz said: Carry at most 8 different discs, in different molds, otherwise you'll be trying to figure out how to each disc and may not like the disc when you do find out.

And that's a 2-time World Champ and Hall of Famer talking, although in today's game, technology has somewhat dictated on what players throw.

I'm not shy on how many I carry. I have a small bag that I can toss in 6 discs and on short courses or trying to be quick, I am cool with that, Just pop in Pa3, M4, M2, Roadrunner, Thunderbird, D4 and I can handle most courses anyway, but my REAL bag is 24 total.
I think youre kinda hurting your chances at 'the best shot' when you're carrying less than 9....but I have a bag of 24 that can handle all and any course, so I usually just roll with that....that sorta thing IS my bag...baby.

There is no methodology here guys. There is no secret to building a bag that pro's utilize that non dg gods dont understand.

Some guys are disc whores, some keep it simple. Some switch out molds based on the course, some just bring their bag and make it work.

The difference is theyre better than you at the game in general. Dont need some contrived ratio to tell you that do you?

haha exactly. If you ever watch an In the Bag, its usually what you expect, a handful of discs ranging from putter to max driver and some understable, some overstable, there is no magic anything, just cover your speed/distances and stabilities and LEARN how to play them....thats all.

BUT if you're REALLY wanting to know what a "Perfect" Bag setup is....just look at my signature ;) ;) :p

I go back and forth ranging from 15 discs to 6. I think it all depends on what your goals are in disc golf. Personally I love playing--I really enjoy getting outdoors and letting it rip. I enjoy playing doubles and captains choice but I don't really enter tournaments often, if at all. At that point my game gets 'serious' and it detracts from the fun I am having. I get upset and every missed putt and bad line etc. I like being competitive when I play with others but disc golf is all about letting go and getting a breath of fresh air away from the cube farm. If I start playing well enough and consistently enough that some brand notices, then cool. But I doubt it and I don't really care.

TO be clear, I always strive to get better and better, but I don't really want to sit there and be debating between which of the four teebirds should be used. I try to carry 3-4 mids, 2 putters, and 2-4 drivers that cover most all of my shots. That way if I see 300' dog leg its a fresh teebird (yes I carry two of these because I am thinking of dropping the river with a beat tbird). Or a 270' curve to the right? It's a meteor. No extra thought or analysis required.

For me personally my scores dropped noticeably when I streamlined my bag. When I first started I had too many overlapping molds and would always second guess my disc selection after a not so good shot. Now I just look at distance and the line and I know exactly what disc to pull out. I've noticed a few pros like Steve Rico and Feldberg have dropped a ton of discs. They used to carry massive bags. Rico had a monstrosity of a bag for a while. It looked like 3 bags sewn together. He seems to be playing at the same level if not a little better now. There is truth to minimizing your molds unless you hit the course everyday to master every disc you want to carry.