• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Puckin futters

Most headwinds I can cover with my prophecy. Obviously not all so sometimes I put a premium Gila in the bag and then I have the Gator. If playing a competitive round I will often use the Felon powered down here id the wind is kickin'

I use a star roc3 for headwinds

I must confess to being surprised to hear this. The Star and Champ Roc3s I have are straight with finishing fade, but are not beefy and can have issues in the wind (ergo, the Harp, Hornet, and Banshee in my bag). Are all your Roc3s windfighters?

My roc3s don't love the wind but are good in it. I don't know why but that just works better in the wind. Doesn't glide much short distance

For wind putts anything with gusts 30 mph and above I use the Shark as a Putter. I would recommend the G-Star for a putter as it is gummy enough to work as putter and will stay more overstable, I would say Pro/R-Pro but the old Pro model is OOP. Shark works as a putter but for midrange wind shots Shark is not as good for that. Reason I got both of my Sharks at 174 grams is that the disc is better for wind putting and long approach shots at max weight or nearly that.

Feeks like I haven't been here in a while..
Couple of disclaimers up front.
1) I'm not a mold minimalist but I do enjoy things being simple/simplified when and wherever possible.
1) I enjoy your input/discussion this doesn't mean I can't make my own decisions.

So the issue I am having these days is gripping my putter for throws. Now some days my putter feels natural in my hand and I throw it amazingly, other days well they're other days. Sometimes the putter feels clunky and unnatural to hold. In an effort to simplify my bag I only have PWP Wizards (remember, NOT a minimalist) and I have had moderate success with this transition before making the switch all of my putters were shallower rimmed (Pure, Rhyno, Stud) so my mindset is that I CAN AND WILL learn how to comfortably grip the Wizards for throwing 100% of the time. Or should I try a Chief, Tomb, Stud because I know I am comfortable with that size rim? Opinions? TIA for any insights.

I think it better in the long run to stick with what gives you the highest level of consistency.
Now I'm not saying don't try things out, but pretty soon you'l realize for yourself what types of putters work best for you.

This comes down to basically 4 types;
Shallow beaded and beadless
Traditional beaded and beadless
Yeah, I know, there are understable, overstable neutral and lots of other little things, but I'm talking about feel and consistency.

For three years, I threw and putted with nothing but Yeti Pro Aviars. I liked how the plastic felt but they were a little deep compared to what I threw before, but I stuck with them. I had enough of buying a new putter every other week because I was having an off day or someone on the forums was suggesting X-Y-Z putter. You can learn an awful lot by sticking with one mold through thick and thin. Last year I switched to Wizards because I wanted a little more stability and I didn't like the feel of KC Pro for putting. So far so good, I no longer have an issues with deep putters, they don't feel awkward at all, but shallow putters? They feel terrible for me.

Pick something and just make the effort to stick with it. When you learn the mold inside and out, you'll have better information at your disposal when and if you decide to make a change. You'll never get that info switching every other week.

I think it better in the long run to stick with what gives you the highest level of consistency.
Now I'm not saying don't try things out, but pretty soon you'l realize for yourself what types of putters work best for you.

This comes down to basically 4 types;
Shallow beaded and beadless
Traditional beaded and beadless
Yeah, I know, there are understable, overstable neutral and lots of other little things, but I'm talking about feel and consistency.

For three years, I threw and putted with nothing but Yeti Pro Aviars. I liked how the plastic felt but they were a little deep compared to what I threw before, but I stuck with them. I had enough of buying a new putter every other week because I was having an off day or someone on the forums was suggesting X-Y-Z putter. You can learn an awful lot by sticking with one mold through thick and thin. Last year I switched to Wizards because I wanted a little more stability and I didn't like the feel of KC Pro for putting. So far so good, I no longer have an issues with deep putters, they don't feel awkward at all, but shallow putters? They feel terrible for me.

Pick something and just make the effort to stick with it. When you learn the mold inside and out, you'll have better information at your disposal when and if you decide to make a change. You'll never get that info switching every other week.

This is where I am at and I don't want to pair a throwing mold with a putting mold. I am trying my damned-est trying to get comfortable throwing the deeper dish (I as well throw Wizards) and I'm 50/50 I guess my comfort level will grow.

Feeks like I haven't been here in a while..
Couple of disclaimers up front.
1) I'm not a mold minimalist but I do enjoy things being simple/simplified when and wherever possible.
1) I enjoy your input/discussion this doesn't mean I can't make my own decisions.

So the issue I am having these days is gripping my putter for throws. Now some days my putter feels natural in my hand and I throw it amazingly, other days well they're other days. Sometimes the putter feels clunky and unnatural to hold. In an effort to simplify my bag I only have PWP Wizards (remember, NOT a minimalist) and I have had moderate success with this transition before making the switch all of my putters were shallower rimmed (Pure, Rhyno, Stud) so my mindset is that I CAN AND WILL learn how to comfortably grip the Wizards for throwing 100% of the time. Or should I try a Chief, Tomb, Stud because I know I am comfortable with that size rim? Opinions? TIA for any insights.

I would not try to force myself to learn something that doesn't feel comfortable for me. I've learned that lesson the hard way. I'd rather take something that feels good and learn how to throw it than try to get comfortable with a grip that's not comfortable for me.

It's like ball golf: it starts at the address of the club to the ball. Jack Nicklaus would spend hours just on addressing the ball, not even swinging the club. Analogy here is to take a good feeling disc and learn how it flies for you, and work to be consistent with it. It starts with the grip.

For me, the Buzzz made my bag over the Roc3 because of the relatively comfortable grip of the Buzzz. If two molds are giving similar performance and one feels better in the grip than the other, go with the better feel and IMHO you'll get better, more consistent results.

I would not try to force myself to learn something that doesn't feel comfortable for me.

If I took this advice I wouldn't be able to throw anything but a Teerex sidearm, ha ha.

I'll be the guy on his other shoulder, I say give the Wizards a good trial period to see if your hands can get comfortable. Disc golf's weird in that I've had putters that felt great but I couldn't throw to save my life, putters that felt awkward but I threw consistently well and everything in between. Confidence and comfort can help a lot obviously but sometimes a little discomfort in your grip can make you pay a little more attention to your throw and focus instead of going through the motions.

I use a rhyno for shorter, straight to stable finishes. If I need more distance and overstablility that's when I pull out the zone. Both have their purpose for me.

I too carry both. Zone for me is usually used for forehands (I prefer touch approaches forehand over backhand). Rhyno is easier to range for me backhand.

This is where I am at and I don't want to pair a throwing mold with a putting mold. I am trying my damned-est trying to get comfortable throwing the deeper dish (I as well throw Wizards) and I'm 50/50 I guess my comfort level will grow.

More power to you here.

I just can't/don't want to spend the time getting used to throwing Wizards just to minimize molds. I putt with Wizards, but throw Judges and Rhynos. Judges, especially in premium plastic, are stable enough and beat in Rhynos lose enough stability to cover all my backhand throwing putter needs.

But you do you.

More power to you here.

I just can't/don't want to spend the time getting used to throwing Wizards just to minimize molds. I putt with Wizards, but throw Judges and Rhynos. Judges, especially in premium plastic, are stable enough and beat in Rhynos lose enough stability to cover all my backhand throwing putter needs.

But you do you.

I throw Rhynos as well. That's not a mold that has proven replaceable. I feel like sticking with the all Wizards is going to A) help me learn my Wizards inside and out. B) make the decisions easier on upshot/off the short tee. I hav been tinkering with the grip for a couple days now and found a pinch/fan grip that gives me the accuracy and snsp of a power grip. It is alien, but it's not uncomfortable. So we will see. Your train of thought is basically the other side of the coin here

I throw Rhynos as well. That's not a mold that has proven replaceable. I feel like sticking with the all Wizards is going to A) help me learn my Wizards inside and out. B) make the decisions easier on upshot/off the short tee. I hav been tinkering with the grip for a couple days now and found a pinch/fan grip that gives me the accuracy and snsp of a power grip. It is alien, but it's not uncomfortable. So we will see. Your train of thought is basically the other side of the coin here

Sticking with the Wizard netted me thebresults I was looking for. A slight variation of the sabre I guess? Pretty similar all along it was the repositioning of one finger that made gripping a deeper putter comfortable, also has proven to provide a cleaner release.
Putter grip. https://imgur.com/gallery/lH1TiUx

Link doesn't work :/ For putters, I like them deep, I do a combo of a fan and a control is the best way to describe it. I've probably mentioned it along the way somewhere, but for a throwing a putter (as long as you're okay with a deep one) you can't go wrong with the scale.

Link doesn't work :/ For putters, I like them deep, I do a combo of a fan and a control is the best way to describe it. I've probably mentioned it along the way somewhere, but for a throwing a putter (as long as you're okay with a deep one) you can't go wrong with the scale.

Putter grip https://imgur.com/gallery/avJ24iH
Yes you absolutely have mentioned the scale LOL. Iam happy with my Wizards.