• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Puckin futters

Pulled the trigger just now on the Rhyno and stud, after checking out some numbers out. Whichever doesn't fit the bill will be given away on this thread, stay tuned......

What's R-Pro plastic like? Also is a KC Rhyno a thing?

R-Pro is softer and a bit gummy. If you feel them up in a shop, sometimes you can find firmer ones. They last longer than DX, There are stiffer R-Pro at the Innova Pro Shop, I have heard they are nice, but I'm not paying premium prices for base line plastic.

No such thing as KC Pro Rhynos, but if they were a thing, I would buy a lifetime stack!
The Reptilian Disc Golf Scale is supposed to be very Rhyno like in a nice KC type plastic, but every time I tried to order one, they were sold out, so I gave up.

I started with R-Pro, but switched to DX a couple of years ago. R-Pro is nice, but it gets a little to sticky for me, I still carry one in the trunk for cold days though. DX Rhynos last quite a while, I have a 3 year beat DX Rhyno that's a laser beam!
DX Rhynos lose their fade but keep their HSS and gain some glide. I bag three of them, one fresh, one in the middle and one beat to straight.

If you're looking to cycle, besides the Rhyno and Scale, you could also look into the Discraft Ringer (you can get those in Jawbreaker, D and soft-X plastic). I'm sure they're lots of others, but the Ringer and Rhyno are the ones I have the most experience with.

R-Pro is softer and a bit gummy. If you feel them up in a shop, sometimes you can find firmer ones. They last longer than DX, There are stiffer R-Pro at the Innova Pro Shop, I have heard they are nice, but I'm not paying premium prices for base line plastic.

No such thing as KC Pro Rhynos, but if they were a thing, I would buy a lifetime stack!
The Reptilian Disc Golf Scale is supposed to be very Rhyno like in a nice KC type plastic, but every time I tried to order one, they were sold out, so I gave up.

I started with R-Pro, but switched to DX a couple of years ago. R-Pro is nice, but it gets a little to sticky for me, I still carry one in the trunk for cold days though. DX Rhynos last quite a while, I have a 3 year beat DX Rhyno that's a laser beam!
DX Rhynos lose their fade but keep their HSS and gain some glide. I bag three of them, one fresh, one in the middle and one beat to straight.

If you're looking to cycle, besides the Rhyno and Scale, you could also look into the Discraft Ringer (you can get those in Jawbreaker, D and soft-X plastic). I'm sure they're lots of others, but the Ringer and Rhyno are the ones I have the most experience with.

Good suggestions all around. And thanks. the RDG scale is too deep by the numbers for what I am looking for, I bought a Rhyno and a stud last night based on the measurements and claims of stability alone. We'll see how this plays out.

Good suggestions all around. And thanks. the RDG scale is too deep by the numbers for what I am looking for, I bought a Rhyno and a stud last night based on the measurements and claims of stability alone. We'll see how this plays out.

Best of luck then! I hope one of them works out.

Don't always go by posted measurements, they may feel completely different in "your" hands. I avoided Wizards for the longest time because Of all the "Wizards are too deep" comments I heard. Until I handled one, that's what I believed too. They may be deep by the numbers, but they don't feel deep to me.

Don't always go by posted measurements, they may feel completely different in "your" hands. I avoided Wizards for the longest time because Of all the "Wizards are too deep" comments I heard. Until I handled one, that's what I believed too. They may be deep by the numbers, but they don't feel deep to me.

Oh, I know I really only look at rim depth measurements, nothing else, and these aren't the only two I'm looking into just what's in the table for now.

Chief os may be a good fit for you

I have been eyeing it and also heard that recently they were ran in diamond Soo when. We see that release we may see me with a chief OS. I'm gonna give the Rhyno and the stud a shot and probably going to order a chief OS also and probably a devil hawk as well. I'm really trying to exhaust my options as my goal for this year is to have my bag the way I want it, fewer molds and work on mastering them, so it's experimentation time!

Agreed. I didn't try Daggers for a long time because of how deep they are, but they actually feel great in my hand.

Agreed. I didn't try Daggers for a long time because of how deep they are, but they actually feel great in my hand.

I use the dagger currently for my outting duties, I guess I'm weird in that I like low profile putters to throw, deep dish for putting. Deep dish suit my putting style the best bit trying to grip one throw, nah.

I have been eyeing it and also heard that recently they were ran in diamond Soo when. We see that release we may see me with a chief OS. I'm gonna give the Rhyno and the stud a shot and probably going to order a chief OS also and probably a devil hawk as well. I'm really trying to exhaust my options as my goal for this year is to have my bag the way I want it, fewer molds and work on mastering them, so it's experimentation time!

Just a heads up, the Devil Hawk was rebranded as the RDG Sloth, but it's not currently listed on their site.

Interesting, simply rebranded or was it retooled? RDG seems to like to "Frankenstein" other molds and be pretty inventive.
Jamie is on here and would know better than I, but I think Gateway was OOPing it and RDG was picking it up. It sounded like it was going to be the same disc. The Devil Hawk was really beefy, though. The War Spear was too much beef for me, and it wasn't as beefy as the Devil Hawk.

Jamie is on here and would know better than I, but I think Gateway was OOPing it and RDG was picking it up. It sounded like it was going to be the same disc. The Devil Hawk was really beefy, though. The War Spear was too much beef for me, and it wasn't as beefy as the Devil Hawk.

It seems that gateway still has it idk if that's the plan or what but gateway has devil hawks. So IDK

So my Rhyno and stud ae officially on the way. Also am going to try the devil hawk, war spear and chief OS as my cycling putter. There have been some mention of them here I think so pros and cons about these molds? Thanks

Interesting, simply rebranded or was it retooled? RDG seems to like to "Frankenstein" other molds and be pretty inventive.
What he said \/ Is the same story I knew. No changes, but since the mold was being OOP'd it made sense to pick it up.

So my Rhyno and stud ae officially on the way. Also am going to try the devil hawk, war spear and chief OS as my cycling putter. There have been some mention of them here I think so pros and cons about these molds? Thanks

I have a Chief OS, but haven't gotten any flight time with it. It has a very shallow feel, which I'm not normally a fan of, but I'm known as the Gateway and RDG guy around here, so someone gave me a brand new one.

What he said \/ Is the same story I knew. No changes, but since the mold was being OOP'd it made sense to pick it up.

I have a Chief OS, but haven't gotten any flight time with it. It has a very shallow feel, which I'm not normally a fan of, but I'm known as the Gateway and RDG guy around here, so someone gave me a brand new one.

Well we can be gateway RDG guys together then because after giving them a try k am very fond of them, the prophecy specifically. So I'm giving a lot of their other stuff a try.

My go to putter is the Gateway Magic, which is basically a beadless understable Wiz. I happen to love gateway sure grip plastics for their feel. Yes, it's true, their naming system is silly and it's sometimes hard to find the exact disc—but, they are half the price of other brands, and have a great "gateway underground" Facebook group where you can find bundles of discs for cheap. I have several blends, and I have a hard time picking which I prefer. I have been transitioning for softer (4S/SSS) to SS or S. Their glow feels great too. The ones I have are between SS and SSS. Eraser has the best "feel" imo, and mine are SS.

Last edited:
Eh, the Magic is a good disc, but it's not an understable Wiz. It's more like a Wizard and an 86 Softie had a deformed love child. It feels a lot different in the hand to me VS a Wizard. I get why people like them and use them, but they don't remind me of a Wizard really at all.

Eraser is a weird plastic. It's supposed to feel "gummier" than a SS I guess. I find Eraser and SS to feel the same; blindfold me and I can't tell the difference.