• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pure(ly) awesome

keltik said:
The Magnet is much more stable, and has a deeper rim.
Id argue that a pure is actually more overstable at putting speed.......and has far shittier glide

JimW said:
Been working on my putting stance/launch lately and have changed it from what I was previously doing so starting tomorrow I'm going to give the Pures another go as my putting putter. In the past I used a regular staggered stance/push putt but over the past few weeks I've been transitioning to a sorta hybrid stance (though much more staggered than straddle) with more spin on the disc and on a lower line. Early returns are promising for the potential of better power and consistency of form but I think the Pure may be better suited than the Wizard, especially at longer range.

I did the same thing a while back except I am using the new Swan. It has worked perfectly. I Pure is so similar to the Swan you should have very good results. My putting has gotten much better, and more consistent. The only difference is that I straddle from about 30' and in. I go staggered beyond that, and use more legs. To each his own.

And I'm bringing this back for Opto Pure discussion.

Threw my opto pures today alongside my anodes. It was calm when I first took them out and the pures performed decently against the anodes, they are pretty fast and are a little less nose angle sensitive than the anodes.

Wind picked up quite a bit after about 10 minutes so I killed some time by taking the flash off my pures by rubbing them on the ground. Got some more throws in with them with less (but not all) of the flashing removed when the wind calmed back down. They love to track slowly right now, like a new X comet before just kinda settling down to the ground. They don't have as much glide as my anode but are fast enough to be able to keep up with it distance wise except in a tailwind where the anodes were getting a good 20' on the pures.

Wind picked back up pretty good so I decided to test them into a headwind. My anodes, when released clean and with some hyzer, will fly into a headwind ok. The pures can also do this but seem to like to be smacked around more which I thought was odd. I need to get these on the course and test them out.

So far I have to say the opto pure is a really nice disc and if you are looking for a dead straight premium putter, this has to be on your list. It is different enough in how it behaves from the anodes to make me think I could possibly put both in the bag, especially if, once the flash wears all the way off, these things continue to like to finish right.

a Magenta Opto Pure should be at my house tomorrow. If this disc is as (°Y°) as everyone says I may have to go to confession after every round of DG.

Leopard said:
it's all the space-tits you've heard and more

This.

Also, to what Frank said, I must be crazy because when I throw an Anode the word "glide" never crosses my mind. Perhaps its just an untrained eye but I really couldn't give the Anode a definitive glide edge over the Pure since every time I throw my Anodes it feels like I'm watching them drop out of the sky like a brick. I'm betting weight is a factor here though. It's like I told the guys over on DGCR, the Anode is still a GREAT disc but it just didn't fit me like the Pure does. Although, unlike Frank I don't see any reason to carry both because I feel they perform the same job albeit in a slightly different manner.

my view is that Anodes are a little on the normal-to-brickish side on low speed / short putts, but on high spin they glide like crazy.

even as a non-Pure thrower, i can appreciate the quality of the plastic and molding on the Optos. they definitely didn't fuck it up.

Leopard said:
my view is that Anodes are a little on the normal-to-brickish side on low speed / short putts, but on high spin they glide like crazy.

This is it, all MVP discs have bad low speed glide but the anode has great glide when thrown as a driver with good spin. That combined with them being kinda faster than aviars and wizards and whatnot make them a long driving putter.

I did get out to the local pitch and putt and threw the pure and anode against each other and again while they are close, the deflashed pure didn't really like holding longer hyzers and loved anny drives while the anode still excels at straight and hyzer lines.

Pure would crush all competitors in a fiery field of death.

...but I'm biased.

Dart would go the farthest, pure the straightest, anode would work a million lines and grab it's dick as it flew by.

Frank Delicious said:
Leopard said:

This is it, all MVP discs have bad low speed glide but the anode has great glide when thrown as a driver with good spin. That combined with them being kinda faster than aviars and wizards and whatnot make them a long driving putter.

I did get out to the local pitch and putt and threw the pure and anode against each other and again while they are close, the deflashed pure didn't really like holding longer hyzers and loved anny drives while the anode still excels at straight and hyzer lines.

I agree about the fade on push putts but spin putts make medium Anodes fade less. Still my opaque soft Ion fades even less so that's my putter.

If I could get an anode or Ion to quit with the random cut thrus on putts, I might actually use one but I get really tired of hitting center-right chains and the thing cutting all the way through the sweet spot and falling out. Its a combo of the spin putt I use and the plastic of the MVP putters.

I need to putt low in the winters to not let any discs bounce out of chains covered by ice. The chain/ice combo is totally rigid on one course with large caliber chains. I putt with a fairly similar aiming in the summer too. With low putts only a little over the headricks i haven't noticed bogus cut throughs. The baskets probably stop the disc.

i asked the same questions over on dgcr and figured i would get much better information here...as a wizard thrower how would i find the pure useful? i carry 4 wizards, a beat light one, 2 pretty straight ones, and an glideless brick evo. i didn't know if they perform a certain type of shot better than a wizard, or if they would complement in any way, or could serve as a replacement.

i'm pretty content with my wizards at the moment but was curious as to what those who have thrown both have to say.

I've switched over to the Pure. I was putting with the Magnet but never really liked the feel. The Pure feels great in the hand. I was practicing inside my apartment and could tell that Pure isn't going to require as much of a lob as the Magnet requires. With the Pure I am able to "run" at the basket. It is what I wanted in a putter.

dehaas said:
i asked the same questions over on dgcr and figured i would get much better information here...as a wizard thrower how would i find the pure useful? i carry 4 wizards, a beat light one, 2 pretty straight ones, and an glideless brick evo. i didn't know if they perform a certain type of shot better than a wizard, or if they would complement in any way, or could serve as a replacement.

i'm pretty content with my wizards at the moment but was curious as to what those who have thrown both have to say.

You could use one as a premium version of one of your straight ones. Also it is faster and can be thrown farther on a lower line.