• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pure(ly) awesome

Frank Delicious said:
I'm starting to waffle between anodes and opto pures again. Pures seem to only want to go dead straight whereas I can line shape with my anodes better.

I'm the exact opposite. Pures kicked my Anodes out for the same reason....though I did better with the Med. Anode than the soft. Still, the Pure is here to stay.

I bought 3 identical orange Opto Pures for testing, and they are just spooky straight. I was practicing some 200' approach shots in the field, and I kept thinking I must have flipped it over a little bit, cause it was just landing completely flat. After a bunch of throws, I realized that these things will hardly move left at all unless I put some hyzer on them.

To get a perfectly straight flight at full power, I have to add a little hyzer, or they will track right. They just don't fade. Anodes clearly outperform them in the hyzer department. I can get better and more consistent movement to the left with an Anode. I have been throwing Rhynos lately, so I'll try a Pure/Rhyno setup for a bit, and see how much I miss Anodes. They had a lot of flash on them when I got them, and I deflashed them before I threw them, so I expect they would have been a little more stable out of the box.

Definitely uncertain if they'll knock Anodes or not. I resist constantly changing my bag just because another good disc came out. I may simply not need them. If I imagine myself carrying both, I feel like I'll be reaching for the Anode more often than not. They feel a little more trustworthy. Recommend these new Pures though. They fly well, feel good in the hand (after deflashing), and come in my favorite plastic.

I haven't used measuring equipment but does the Opto Pure feel thinner to you than the earlier plastics? Mine has a good deal of flash and even with it mine feels noticeably leaner in the hand vs older Pures. Got mine yesterday and haven't thrown it yet. I'm injured once more trying to recover from my ankle surgery so i can't throw fully yet.

I've taken a week off now after getting a marathon runners nail in the big toe. It will fall off in a week or two :shock: So i think i will need to try if i can get in any shots by doing smooth low powered stand stills that won't aggravate the toe more than walking would. Each step hurts now. Stir crazy and pissed off after the second longest winter in living memory in my town missing out from May 22nd with 3 month summer of Finland so i might walk to a nearby field enroute to the grocery store. To get at least some indication of how it putts and approaches along with two new for me Ions. Stormtrooper 165 M and against my order a clear soft. I ordered an opaque for straightest possible putts because those are out of production and i never got enough light backups. Light for less drop=less aiming corrections for height=fewer chances of making distances estimation and aiming correction errors.

found thes pearly swirly opto pure today at discnation. feels amazing ! much grippier than my pink optos and still stable.

20120616_131418.jpg

after a few acetone wipes :)
20120616_161246.jpg

Got a good test of the optos the other day. I was throwing it on some holes that I normally throw a mid on. My opto was surprisingly more stable that expected. I gave it a touch of hyzer and it flew dead straight when i figured it would turn some then fade back.

I usually use my pures for approaches and zeros to putt, but the opto turned out to be a great off the tee driver. Its also great for touchy approach shots, anny approaches and elevator shots when i want to run the basket from ~100' out and not fear blowing by the basket

keltik said:
anybody had a chance to test run the EZE Pures. I saw on Facebook that Disc Nation has them.

Pretty much everyone has them. They are the TM2 plastic

Just ordered an Opto Pure having never thrown a Pure before but thinking it might save my Gateway Glow Wizards some tree knocks. Predictions of differences I should expect (besides rim)? Will report results...

i also throw wizards. the pure is just that, pure. it will hold lines better than the wiz. and for me is much easier to forehand approach with. it was love at first throw. it feels like the most indestructible disc too. so solid.

I have given these Pures some time, and I've decided they are not going to make the bag. They fly really well on drives, but for approaches in the 150' range, I find them very fast and difficult to control. To me, they feel and fly very midrangey, and that doesn't really help my touch. It's awesome for driving, of course, but I can be just as accurate approaching the basket with a Buzzz as with these Pures, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a putter.

I really don't throw putters for distance. When I was a newer player, I would push my putters out to 300' all the time, and in those days I would have been in love, but these days I usually throw a mid anywhere outside 250'. I don't really subscribe to the "throw the slowest disc that will get there" teaching that is common here, at least when it comes to upshots. You wont see me throwing a Destroyer on a 300' hole, and in the same way, you wont see my throwing a Pure for 150' upshot. I really feel slower putters do those shots better. Not saying they don't fly well, cause the definitely do, they just don't do what I want my driving putter to do, which is be more controllable than a midrange.

So my Pures are for trade. I've got 3 176g oranges, two field thrown, one has seen a half dozen rounds. All have been deflashed. I'd like new or slightly used Star Destroyers in the 170-174 range, stiff DX Aviars, or Axises in the 176-177 range.

The thread is named appropriately and please don't deflash each of your Pures. Rather deflash at most one because when new the bees have knees and tits :) You can throw the Pure softly at reduced power just fine just don't reach back as far and don't rip the arm forward at full speed and you're fine.

Flash is basically a manufacturing defect. Something that Latitude should already be removing themselves before shipping. Also, I still think Pures are too fast to be good finesse approach discs. I am familiar with the concept of not throwing things at full power already.

Have a few rounds with the Opto Pure under the belt, and here's my observations so far: it works great as a tweener- longer than putters, shorter than mids. Definitely holds lines better than Wizard- can get it to do a gentle anny which Wiz won't do. I had one bad throw kind of nose-up and high where I expected turn-and-burn but it just stalled out and dropped almost straight down. Today, threw a gentle hyzer weaving to the left of one tree and to the right of another before landing in the basket from what I was worried was too close a distance for the movement involved (barely outside the circle). Hit one tree so far and it bounced off like a rubber ball and kept going.

I'd call it a touch/control disc- I still have the Wizards if I just want to fire a putt straight at the chains.

Ripping it in the winds ain't such a great idea unless the winds are moderate to mild. in the calm full tilt rips aren't a problem.

Jokeri is for ripping into very windy conditions, Pure is for accurate targeting in calm(er) conditions. I've been pretty quiet in this thread which I suppose is a little ironic considering the huge hard on I have for this disc... but I will say I'm still throwing it and have not been disappointed. I don't know if I would call it clearly superior to other products out there but it is without question the disc for me. Let me break down what I like about it:

Glides - and it does it well.
Neutral- with minimal hyzer flip these things are just about the straightest damn putter drivers I've ever seen fly. Pick a line and it holds it. This does mean it doesn't fade out of an anhyzer well though, which does limit the angle of the anny line you can put it on thanks to roll out.
Range - perhaps to some a liability... I find it just makes the disc that much more versatile. It flies well slow and flies AMAZING with speed on it.
No bead - I've got a thing against beaded putters, I don't know why. I have, can, and will throw them if the spirit moves or if the beaded disc is clearly superior but I don't "prefer" them. *Insert Buzzz vs. Roc comment here*
Shallow rim - I REALLY like to be able to have the sides of the pads of my finger tips comfortably touch the bottom of the flight plate. On the Pure, they do.
Plastic - Opto... Nothing more needs be said.

My only complaint would be the weight. It's sort of a catch 22 though because I also love the weight for putter driving, sort of like how most people like their mids to be 180g. For putting though, which I really want to do with it, I would really prefer a 168-170g, 6-8g does make a difference. Though I CAN still putt with it... and I do.

I'm loving my opto pure. When I can keep them in the bag. I've had 2 and haven't had either one for longer than 2 weeks. Got an ace with one yesterday, and it was stolen out of my bag 1 hole later. (Long story.) But i do love the flight. It's such a pretty disc in the air slow and straight, or what ever you want to do with it. So versatile from 300' in. I'm actually really loving the TM2 pures for putting too. They do seem to nick up a bit when putting. But so did the zero's. Then they stop after a while and just look a little beat up but fly perfectly. I've gotten in a zone lately where if I can get a good clean look at the basket from 50' in I just know it's going in. I'm making a large percentage of those.