• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

pure(ly) awesome

The speed you describe could be viewed to be so compared to a mid and landing in tall grass stopping immediately for flat shots. The actual high speed for a putter is illustrated well on landing to harder surfaces annied or hyzered and in tight corners where it will skip or roll depending on the angle and speed. With flash my yellow 176 Opto Pure tends to push through hyzer and anny on shorter holes of say sub 200'. At least if the angles are mild. Given over a dozen degrees of angle it starts to turn faster but it still won't do the tightest turns even at 30 degrees of anny but a fairly steep one if given a lot of height to flex to less anny on the landing and even then it can skip or cut roll.

I recently obtained pair of used gripline pures and liked them very very much. Now I also bought two new opto pures which I haven't tested yet. I am kicking my old wizards out of my bag and I think these will give me many options and possible lines in future. Atleast gripline is sweet for turnover shots, anhyzers and they also held hyzer pretty good. Awesome disc.

Any recommendations other than Jokeri (thanks for that, Jeronimo) as a compliment to Opto Pure for full rips into the wind?

Edit to also ask: Assume another option would be a Zone?

andrew said:
Any recommendations other than Jokeri (thanks for that, Jeronimo) as a compliment to Opto Pure for full rips into the wind?

Edit to also ask: Assume another option would be a Zone?

Rhyno, Pig, Sinus

I'm somewhat familiar with the Rhino and still own a Champ, but without having done an actual side-by-side, I feel I can pretty much replicate it by powering down a Gator. I'll give it a try but suspect the Rhino doesn't have the glide factor of the Pure to act as an easily adjusted compliment. JR, in the Prodiscus thread, does say the Jokeri has some glide, so I'm still leaning that direction. Also, Jokeri is described as having a similar feel to the Pure. I guess there are a few shots and also windier days where I want the Pure minus the finesse aka margin of error but retain the Pure's gift of having a touch more speed than the Wizard. Haven't tried Zone, Pig, Sinus....

andrew said:
I'm somewhat familiar with the Rhino and still own a Champ, but without having done an actual side-by-side, I feel I can pretty much replicate it by powering down a Gator. I'll give it a try but suspect the Rhino doesn't have the glide factor of the Pure to act as an easily adjusted compliment. JR, in the Prodiscus thread, does say the Jokeri has some glide, so I'm still leaning that direction. Also, Jokeri is described as having a similar feel to the Pure. I guess there are a few shots and also windier days where I want the Pure minus the finesse aka margin of error but retain the Pure's gift of having a touch more speed than the Wizard. Haven't tried Zone, Pig, Sinus....

Jokeri has more glide and speed than the Rhyno but the Pure is fast too. Pure/Rhyno or Pure/Pig complement each other well because the distances are different. Pure/Jokeri complement in different flight paths but they are almost as long. The only advantage to that combo is that the Jokeri will fly roughly like the Pure in a decent headwind.

I've been complementing my Pures with a Ridge (or a VP if conditions are REALLY bad) because the lack of glide comes in handy sometimes.

Both of those are great complements for the speed difference too. Still the Ridge is deceptively long and straight being only a hair beefier which is great on many holes. If you have the power to straighten the Ridge that is and throw it high enough to allow it to go almost as far/as far. That needs at least 400' driver power IME.

Yes, one of the reasons why I use the VP instead of Jokeri to complement my Pures is the speed and glide difference. If I'm afraid I might overshoot with the Pure, the VP takes care of that very nicely, and it's overstable enough to work in any kind of wind situations where I might not trust my Pures. Although I have to say once I went from Grip Pures to Opto Pures for driving, I've thrown the VP much less than before. The extra stability that Opto Pure has over the Grip Pures has made me reach for the Pure even when going for hyzer drives and approaches, as it holds hyzer quite well if there's not too much wind. Opto or GL Sinus would be tempting though, but they've said they can't make them in Opto. But that's what they said about the Pure too...

I've got two eze line Pures in my bag. Really solid grip and a great fit in my hand. It's a straight flyer simply throwing it or putting with it.

I threw some Grip Line Pure's a while back but they didn't have any baseline plastics at that time that suited me so I gave them up. Today I picked up the Zero Hard Pures and have found the putter I've always wanted. When I got these 2 hards I also noticed my PIAS had some LE GL Pures so I picked one of them up. Has anyone thrown these things? I didn't know they existed. I tossed it around some today and like it a lot but am wondering how the Opto's compare in stability and durability.

I haven't thrown the Zero hard Pure but have a Spike and a Mace and durability is a problem for that plastic and not for the Opto. Opto Pures push through hyzer and anny on powered drives for a large percentage of the early part of the flight.

Well I want the Zero Hards to beat up so that's no problem. The GL one is what I'm trying to compare to the Opto. I've not heard of GL Pures before.

I have a GL. But I haven't thrown it. They came out mainly as a worlds fundraiser last year. $25 is a lot to throw around in the woods.

Meh, mine was 19.99 at PIAS, just a few bucks more than GL usually is there so I figure why not :p Feels great, flies nicely. Just wondering if its more or less stable than the Optos.

I've been using a 176 Opto Pure for drives and finesse shots. I love it. I've had some luck putting with my Opto, but wanted something with more grip.

What can you guys tell me about the Zero hard and soft runs? Are they essentially KC Pro and JK Pro? Any chance the softs are flexible, or are they just tacky?