• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push putting consistency

Triflusal

* Ace Member *
Over the last 2 weeks I have switched to push putting, the style feldberg teaches with this video, but I have been having trouble finding any sort of consistency. What are the main causes of inconsistencies in push putting? am I missing something?

I think my main issue is getting it to "pop" or "spring" off of my fingers, and when I do get it to spring, I can't repeat it.

I'm working on this also. Although, it's been so windy lately that I haven't worked at it as much because, when things go wrong, I want know whether it's me or is the wind affecting things.

what about grip pressure? feldy said not to squeeze to hard with the thumb and pointer finger, but I don't recall anything about the rest of the hand

what about grip pressure? feldy said not to squeeze to hard with the thumb and pointer finger, but I don't recall anything about the rest of the hand

I think Feldberg wants the pressure to come from the pinky pushing the disc into the palm, with very light pressure at the thumb/index finger.

I pretty much use the same grip for push putting as everything else, the Climo-ish grip. That looks a lot like how Feldberg grips his putter. I do have my index finger a little more flared, but with the joint crease still on the bead.

Feldberg says to give it some nose up angle, but I haven't really figured that one out yet.

He sai dthe grip should be 70% back of the hand, 30% thumb and index finger.

It will take time and practice to make the switch from sppin putting to push putting. Dont give up :D

He sai dthe grip should be 70% back of the hand, 30% thumb and index finger.

It will take time and practice to make the switch from sppin putting to push putting. Dont give up :D

okay thanks, didnt want to have to watch the whole thing again, although I probably will.

yeah, it will take time, but right now my putting is the most frustrating part of my game, right next to upshots/approaches. Man, thats 2/3 of my game.

This is pretty irrelevant as far as you're concerned, but what a video! I haven't seen the push v. spin putting description so thoroughly explained. I really like the things he laid out and I will be trying this exlusively in the coming weeks/months. So I'll let you know if I find any consistency issues. Feels great in my living room so far though, from about 18 feet.

i changed to push putting as well, but my main concern is mine goes really high then falls in and im not sure if thats right or not?

no. I push putt and mine do not do that for the most part.
Shake hands with the basket

i do but for some reason they still go up then down, i think im not lifting my leg and leaning forward enough....idk?

Practice for a week, THEN watch the vid again. You will see new details every time you watch it.

i do but for some reason they still go up then down, i think im not lifting my leg and leaning forward enough....idk?

Rewatch the parts where he is talking about when to release the disc and the shoulder pop. When I find myself lobbing them like you describe, I notice that I am sweeping my arm up too much and/or releasing way to late. I'm guessing this happens for you at about the max of your push putt range?

ya it happens more when i get further away, i make most of them doing this though but i know the wind will kill it, plus ive landed on top a couple times, i need to figure out how to get it on a laser straight line!

Rewatch the parts where he is talking about when to release the disc and the shoulder pop. When I find myself lobbing them like you describe, I notice that I am sweeping my arm up too much and/or releasing way to late. I'm guessing this happens for you at about the max of your push putt range?

The nose up angle should prevent it from an up-and-down lob flight path correct?
You should be able to read the stamp. That part is messing with me almost as bad as the pushing with the back part of your grip...

Why would you want to push putt anyway? Is it the way that you normally putt or is it just something that you want to learn?

If you want my advice....I'm gonna tell you to just put it in the basket. :cool:

Latest posts