• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Poll

The people want to know, or atleast i do

• Wizard

Votes: 68 33.7%
  • Other

Votes: 134 66.3%

• Total voters
dgdave said:
Not proving a point, that statement just got me wondering.
I think your poll is slightly different than what jsw originally meant.
Jsw said:
% of putter-mold praise on DGR...

Wizard = 85%
Others = 15%
Your poll is about what people actually use. His post was about what people hype on DGR. To me, the % difference between usage and hype is actually more interesting than the usage itself. Do people really practice what they preach? Are Wizard folk just more vocal than other putter users? Are there a bunch of Wizard posers out there?

Somebody go read through all the posts from the last five years that mention putters, and come up with some statistics about how often the Wiz is mentioned vs. others. Then we'll compare that to the results of this poll. :D

When that's done we'll do the same thing for Rocs vs. other mids. :wink:

Still using wizards. 174 or 175 for drives and upshots. 165 for putts. I wonder if the people that say wizards drop too fast have tried using lighter ones. A predictable amount of drop is a beautiful thing because it allows a player to take long distance runs without worrying about gliding way past the basket on a miss.

Wizard Wizard Wizard… Blah Blah Blah… I cant with a good feeling support the Neverland Disc Golf Ranch, With David I spend all of my time with young boys Jackson.. LOL!

the invisible tree said:
Still using wizards. 174 or 175 for drives and upshots. 165 for putts. I wonder if the people that say wizards drop too fast have tried using lighter ones. A predictable amount of drop is a beautiful thing because it allows a player to take long distance runs without worrying about gliding way past the basket on a miss.

I was gifted a 160 medium Wiz and I dig it for the upshots. A little more carry with the same flight and fade.

Wizard for me but hell there are quite a few good putters out there.
If God forbid there were no Wizards I would try a JK Aviar, soft Challenger or another stable beaded soft putter.
They will all work I just got on the Wizard bus so that is what I got.
I will say never ever let a Wizard land on it's edge near any incline!!! Always land flat and you are good.

i finally found a putter that works great for me....

D magnet

glide, straight as an arrow, fast break in, long life

the invisible tree said:
I wonder if the people that say wizards drop too fast have tried using lighter ones.
All of my Wizards have been 168 - 170g. Is that light enough to notice less drop, or is it necessary to get down to 165g?

the invisible tree said:
A predictable amount of drop is a beautiful thing because it allows a player to take long distance runs without worrying about gliding way past the basket on a miss.
An interesting point. Makes me think that I should just man-up and putt a little harder/higher and go back to the Wiz. :p

sleepy

Sold my soul to the SSS Wizard recently and have been chaining or sinking anything inside of 50 feet.

Love this thing. Feels so beefy and accurate. Increased my confidence in putting X10. I Trust it enough to even go for chains on a 50+footer with a steep downhill slope right behind the basket. In fact, I sunk 2 of those on my 3rd or 4th round with it. :D

sleepy said:
the invisible tree said:
I wonder if the people that say wizards drop too fast have tried using lighter ones.
All of my Wizards have been 168 - 170g. Is that light enough to notice less drop, or is it necessary to get down to 165g?

the invisible tree said:
A predictable amount of drop is a beautiful thing because it allows a player to take long distance runs without worrying about gliding way past the basket on a miss.
An interesting point. Makes me think that I should just man-up and putt a little harder/higher and go back to the Wiz. :p

sleepy
I have some 167's, 168's, 169's, and 172's. 167 is the only weight that actually feels lighter in my hand and drops a little less...kind of weird and not very scientific, but there it is.

I have the same problem, I always putt low. Flirted with the idea of putting with KC Pro Aviars, but decided not to in the end. Occasionally I have putted a little with my Champ BB Aviars, and I do great with them (they have slightly more glide even though they are 174's), but in the end I decided that it was the newness effect and not a real solution to my problem.

emiller3 said:
I have some 167's, 168's, 169's, and 172's. 167 is the only weight that actually feels lighter in my hand and drops a little less...kind of weird and not very scientific, but there it is.
No worries. I understand that it can be very difficult to judge discs and their behavior with anything more scientific than how it feels. ;)

emiller3 said:
...but in the end I decided that it was the newness effect and not a real solution to my problem.
This is also how I'm starting to feel about the Magic. It will still have a place in my bag for turnover approaches, trouble shots and (perhaps) long-distance runs at the basket, but I think I'll go back to the Wizard (yet again) for my main putting duties and see if I can finally get it through my head that it's the Indian and not the arrow. :p

sleepy

Classic Avair here. Seems to be alot of people in the area throwing them but i don't hear much talk here of them.

Pat said:
Can i switch my vote? Dont know why I ever doubted the Wizard

You dont "doubt" the Wizard. The Wizard doubts you. One must earn the right to hold a Wizard in their bag. You dont just get to putt with a Wizard. Dont ask "What can the Wizard do for me, but what you can do for the Wizard?"

60/40 is actually the ratio I would have expected, there are just too many other good putters out there for the wizard to corner the market.