• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

R.I.P. roc

krjones4

During my round today i came to one of the easier holes on this course(reedy creek in charlotte NC). Its a simple straight shot about 230 feet. So i get one of my rocs and go for a hyzerflip shot stright down the middle. Well too bad it went to the left and straight into a tree. So im thinking oh well its just a bad shot when i get up to the disc and see that there is a crack going from the rim to the center of the disc.

So just wondering how many people here have had a disc straight crack up the middle? Because i have seen harder throws than this just bounce of so im guessing it hit it just right or there was a wek spot or something.

iv had a few disc crack but they were from the early to mid 90s and hit trees pretty hard

when I first read the thread title I thought that the roc was going OOP
I was scared for a minute

but ya that sucks man

I watched a guy split his favorite seasoned Roc in two at leagues a few weeks ago. He was pretty bummed about it. I have a split in half Cheetah hanging on my wall that met a tree several years ago.

krjones4 said:
So just wondering how many people here have had a disc straight crack up the middle?
Discs tend to get more brittle the more they're exposed to UV light. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

I did have a pretty new, DX Teebird rip down the middle of the flight plate once. I managed to hit an electrical box on a big telephone type pole and I must have had enough nose down so that the top of the flight plate smashed into the corner of the box when it hit.

I had an original San Marino Roc for a while that I got in a trade. It was a great turnover disc until it hit a tree and shattered into 6 different pieces. :sad:

So I got a brand new DX Rancho and started the process all over again. From the ashes, a new turnover Roc (eventually) emerges! :D

sleepy

I feel your pain. I've managed to shatter several discs, but all of them have been in colder weather (most were in winter when I lived up in Boston). The only discs I've cracked like that during the summer were a Super Puppy (brittle old discs) and a well-seasoned Jaguar. In both cases, it was really old plastic that hit a tree a little too hard.

But don't worry -- another Roc will always come into season.

I cracked one once in a tourney. And they had to look up the rule about the lie.
If a disc breaks into pieces, your lie is from the largest piece.

My new favorite Glow Wizard hit a lamp post at Rutgers last night and lost an enourmous chunk. The chunk is still hanging on by a bit. I had been throwing it well all night and it was a new disc that I was really starting to like. I Do Not love lamp.

saw a pro crack an eight time orange kc pro before a local tourney during warm ups. got up to the disc and all you heard was oh no.

talk about a bad start to the day.

Not really the same thing, but I watched a newb throw a dx raven into the first available. There was a broken-off branch about 10 feet up the tree sticking a few inches out from the trunk. He had thrown the disc so sloppily/wobbly that it managed to hit the branch on the underside of the flightplate, impaling the raven. It stayed there, crucified, for a couple days.

We would have retrieved it had we been able to jump that high.

dx plastic man. it has happened. a stingray and a viper. both right down the middle. I still love dx. Its what I grew up on and just love the changes the disc goes through. But durable. I dont think so.

Latest posts