• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

Probably the thing about saying "Comet" there is that Comets don't like power. If I threw a Comet like I throw a Gila, it would turn and burn.

:thonk: Comets can take tons of power though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never noticed any similarities between my amber Gila and, relatively stable, glow comet. I mean they are both discs...
Maybe you got a mis stamp? Not sure if gateway or RDG makes anything comet like though, element might be the closest and it's not close ime.

If I replace "power" with "to have you go all torque monkey and OAT the crap out of them" is that acceptable?

Starting at the original claim, this was my thought unless it's an anamoly. Not that I've spent much time with the Gila, but my Fossils and Ambers were all incredibly high speed stable with a strong fade. Enough that I went back to Rocs because I don't need that beefy of a bookend, and I have QJs for any extra distance the Gila would give me.

I recieved my 179 Pink Amber Gila today.

I understand now what everyone is talking about.

This has excellent HSS, zero turn on a flat drive with a strong LSF.

It is everything I was hoping it would be, and it slotted into the bag immediately.

Meanwhile, the first one I bought is much less stable, it is essentially a beat version of the Pink one.

I inadvertantly created a lot of drama by saying the first one flew like a comet.

I was intending to say nothing other than to say that like a comet it was not particularly overstable, instead it would follow the line you put on it. I should have been more clear on that point.

Overall, the Gila is an excellent disc, I love them both. Good design, great plastic, this mold will be in my bag a long time I suspect.

I also learned something in this process.

Next time I try a new disc I will buy and try 2 before making any judgements.

Even the most carefully controlled process can have an anomoly.

Meanwhile, the first one I bought is much less stable, it is essentially a beat version of the Pink one.

Any chance you want to part with your first one? I'd like to know how these fly when they're worn.

Don't sweat the drama. We don't really have much to talk about so we scrutinize everything...

Lol, I thought about getting rid of it but in reality, over the last few days, I have come to love how this less stable version flies as well.

They have both ended up in the bag for different slots.

I know if I got rid of the yellow one, I would just be working to beat this pink one in.

Btw, I'm also relieved to find it was not my form. All the talk got me concerned. I usually don't battle the oat monster much now days, but I was starting to wonder if my form had slipped, lol

I inadvertantly created a lot of drama by saying the first one flew like a comet.
If there wasn't drama, nobody would log in. :| It wasn't a lot of drama for DGCR, anyway. We can do a lot worse than what happened in this thread.

If there wasn't drama, nobody would log in. :| It wasn't a lot of drama for DGCR, anyway. We can do a lot worse than what happened in this thread.

Is that a challenge? :D :D :D

The Gila is rocking my Faction bag, but I'm still torn for my main bag. I'm just so attached to my mid lineup. The Gila's performance is there, it's just an issue of emotional attachment to my mids. :)

Is that a challenge? :D :D :D

The Gila is rocking my Faction bag, but I'm still torn for my main bag. I'm just so attached to my mid lineup. The Gila's performance is there, it's just an issue of emotional attachment to my mids. :)

I'm with you there. It's a great disc, and if I bought two more it could easily be my main mid.

But, the Bard with the first mid that I really clicked with to this extent and it just feels so good in hand to me.

Gilas are amazing, but not quite ITB. Though if something like an RDG sponsor deal or something was offered my game would 100% not suffer.

I'm with you there. It's a great disc, and if I bought two more it could easily be my main mid.

But, the Bard with the first mid that I really clicked with to this extent and it just feels so good in hand to me.

Gilas are amazing, but not quite ITB. Though if something like an RDG sponsor deal or something was offered my game would 100% not suffer.

The Bard was my favorite mid (other than the Roc) until the Gila was created...

Fossil Gilas > Crappy BTs Bards

But I understand where you're coming from. The Bard is a great mold. It is weird how the Roc, Bard & Gila are seemingly faster, more OS versions of the prior.

On a side note, I think my favorite Gila right now is my 174g new run Amber. It is straight enough to get an easy 300+ out of but has that reliable bite to bring it around a corner or fight a headwind. It is filling the spot that I usually use a blue proto for as they were just a smidge less OS than the previous, firm run of Amber.

I have one of those firm ambers and it's MF MONEY!! I will put it in the bag on windy days or when a course calls for a lot of forehand mid shots. Great disc I'm not sold on the speed 5 though, my sample size is small as I've only thrown the one Ihave (minimally) but it feels faster, I swear I threw it once and my Palm was smoking.

Just wanted let folks know we added another discount code to the site. Use code SHIP50 for free shipping on orders $50 or more!

Almost had my first Gila ace today 228' hole finishing strong left.
Looked like i ticked the front edge of the basket and dropped. Disc ended up 1 ft front & left of the basket.

Nice disc!

Dave surprised us the other day with an amazing run of Armor Gilas.

They're board flat, fast & super reliable.
Plastic is firm but grippy. Kinda similar to my Color Glow Thunderbird.

You all know that this mold was my holy grail when developing discs & this run really epitomizes that.

I'd say these came out a touch more OS than the soft Amber run we had last.

Hoping to stamp next week and get these into your hands!

Pics show Armor Gila vs Star Roc3 & Amber Gila

Attachments

• 20190220_163329.jpg
    20190220_163329.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190220_163321.jpg
    20190220_163321.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 20190220_163313.jpg
    20190220_163313.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 94
New stamp on the new batch of Armor Gilas is up now on the site!

Use promo code DGCR for 10% off your order.

Also!

Use promo code freeship40 if you spend over $40 for free shipping!

These Gilas are insanely flat, super fast and have the characteristic stability for all Gilas.

Attachments

• received_2234425953488354.jpg
    received_2234425953488354.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 61
Just got one of these for a steal on Facebook. This is a mold I have been curious for a long while. I am hoping for a harder biting compliment to my kaxe. Is there going to be room in my bag for a Gila?

I played a 5 round on 5 course extravaganza on New Year's Eve and put the two Gila I have ITB for two of the rounds, just slotting where my Bard would go. And I have to say the new flat ones are amazing.

It has a little different flight path than the Bard, but mainly just the way it fades is less sudden. Both resist turn and go straight for a long time, but the newer Gilas really seem to penetrate, even on a heavy tilt.

The is one hole in particular that is a 550 pr four where you have about 300 in a dogleg wooded tunnel and then the final 250 in an open field and the Gila hugged that tree line the whole way giving me a great line from the mouth of the woods. The super stiff fossil plastic took down getting used to, but I'm getting more and more impressed.

Latest posts