• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reachback and turning away timing in the X Step.

Of course it is. If you aren't 100' past me by spring, disc golf throwing has little to do with fast twitch muscle intense training or rotating hips into the plant leg. We'll talk again in a few months. Merry Christmas!

It's not a 100 feet. It's how I progress amongst my peers on average who start at the same time. Honestly, if I'm not hitting 400 feet consistantly by next spring it would totally shock me. Merry Christmas to you too.

Yeah, it seems like the other guy my age who recorded that distance was a downhill shot, but besides, anyone will agree that someone playing less than half a year at that age hitting that distance is anything but average, it's an anomaly.

Great results are what is compared with a perceived "average". To start out around 200 feet and then progress to almost 400 feet within months is thus "great results" when compared to average.

I can show progress in my video I take in my garage during practice. Its far too cold out to actually measure distance until spring. I'm working on getting a radar gun but just from the video I've been taking you can see quite substantial gains.

Ok. So what you call "great" is great in a relative sense, but objectively more like above average.

That doesn't line up with the way you talk on these forums. You hold others to a standard of an "anomaly" but when it comes to you, "above average" equals greatness. To you, others need to throw 500' before they can make any small criticism, but you feel like you are justified in making unfounded assertions based on throwing 370' a handful of times. Even when those who throw 500' make a point, you dismiss it as "they don't really know what they're doing" or "it doesn't feel right, so it must be wrong."

In the summer you said your max was 370'. Now you are saying you got to 375' in the fall. You have no other objective data upon which to evaluate progress, but you state you are going to throw over 400' next season. What it seems you are saying is that based on your own subjective evaluation of video, you are going to make more than 5x the progress over the winter as you did from summer to fall.

If you do, then good for you.

But if marching to the beat of your own drum has led to you gaining 5 feet of max distance from one season to the next, then can you see why some might be skeptical of that approach?

If you want to get some actual data to measure progress but don't want to throw outside, you can measure speed/velocity to see if it is increasing. Below are links to the relatively affordable Pocket Radar Ball Coach. I think you need around 60 mph to get to 400'. Maybe even less than that with the discs you are throwing.

https://www.pocketradar.com/products/ball-coach-radar
https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Radar-Coach-Pro-Level-Training/dp/B00ISCXPJA
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ach-16af7upcktrdrbllctra/16af7upcktrdrbllctra

Ok. So what you call "great" is great in a relative sense, but objectively more like above average.

That doesn't line up with the way you talk on these forums. You hold others to a standard of an "anomaly" but when it comes to you, "above average" equals greatness. To you, others need to throw 500' before they can make any small criticism, but you feel like you are justified in making unfounded assertions based on throwing 370' a handful of times. Even when those who throw 500' make a point, you dismiss it as "they don't really know what they're doing" or "it doesn't feel right, so it must be wrong."

In the summer you said your max was 370'. Now you are saying you got to 375' in the fall. You have no other objective data upon which to evaluate progress, but you state you are going to throw over 400' next season. What it seems you are saying is that based on your own subjective evaluation of video, you are going to make more than 5x the progress over the winter as you did from summer to fall.

If you do, then good for you.

But if marching to the beat of your own drum has led to you gaining 5 feet of max distance from one season to the next, then can you see why some might be skeptical of that approach?

If you want to get some actual data to measure progress but don't want to throw outside, you can measure speed/velocity to see if it is increasing. Below are links to the relatively affordable Pocket Radar Ball Coach. I think you need around 60 mph to get to 400'. Maybe even less than that with the discs you are throwing.

https://www.pocketradar.com/products/ball-coach-radar
https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Radar-Coach-Pro-Level-Training/dp/B00ISCXPJA
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ach-16af7upcktrdrbllctra/16af7upcktrdrbllctra
Haven't really been able to truly throw for a distance measurement in almost two months as the weather hasn't been good where I live. I am saving up to buy that pocket radar, am halfway there now.

It's taken some time to formulate a good plan for where I want to be and how to get there and it basically has taken an outside the box approach. So far my results I've seen just in the garage are already meeting and exceeding my expectations. So I will probably readjust and rerdefine some of my goals.

So far my results I've seen just in the garage are already meeting and exceeding my expectations. So I will probably readjust and rerdefine some of my goals.

Really curious as to what these results are. If it isn't distance, velocity, or something else that is measurable, what is it?

Are you measuring the displacement of the blanket/sleeping bag you are throwing into to see if the disc is hitting it harder?

If it isn't something measurable, then can it really be called a result?

If you can't measure it, how do you know if it is a desired result?

Now that you mention adjusting your goals, I'm also curious about what these goals are. It was my understanding that the goal is to throw over 400'. But you haven't reached that goal, so is it a different goal now? Is it to throw 370' while wearing a coat?

Are you talking about progress toward throwing 10,000 throws in 100 days? What I would be wary of is developing 10,000 throws worth of muscle memory without measurable indicators of progress toward the actual goal (throwing over 400' or over 60mph, not throwing 10,000 throws.)

I suppose doing something is better than doing nothing in the sense that even if it is a mistake, at least it can be a learning experience.

To be specific, what are the results you are speaking of, and what are the goals? Which of them are objectively measurable?

Really curious as to what these results are. If it isn't distance, velocity, or something else that is measurable, what is it?

Are you measuring the displacement of the blanket/sleeping bag you are throwing into to see if the disc is hitting it harder?

Now that you mention adjusting your goals, I'm also curious about what these goals are. It was my understanding that the goal is to throw over 400'. But you haven't reached that goal, so is it a different goal now? Is it to throw 370' while wearing a coat?

Are you talking about progress toward throwing 10,000 throws in 100 days? What I would be wary of is developing 10,000 throws worth of muscle memory without measurable indicators of progress toward the actual goal (throwing over 400' or over 60mph, not throwing 10,000 throws.)

I suppose doing something is better than doing nothing in the sense that even if it is a mistake, at least it can be a learning experience.

To be specific, what are the results you are speaking of, and what are the goals? Which of them are objectively measurable?

Be patient. I sure we can look at his profile next spring and look at the tournament results. :thmbup:

All very good questions.
Besides just trying to throw harder I have goals for various things like my timing rythm, release angle, brace feeling, etc. I am progressing better in those areas than I thought I could achieve and so I am rethinking my goals. For instance- I thought it would take a lot longer to establish my brace better but it's happening a lot quicker than I had anticipated and set a goal for. The distance goals are basically the same.

All very good questions.
Besides just trying to throw harder I have goals for various things like my timing rythm, release angle, brace feeling, etc. I am progressing better in those areas than I thought I could achieve and so I am rethinking my goals. For instance- I thought it would take a lot longer to establish my brace better but it's happening a lot quicker than I had anticipated and set a goal for. The distance goals are basically the same.

What exactly does the brace do? In your own words?

And how exactly does it do it?

And I mean specifically. Down to vectors and each individual lever.

All very good questions.

Are you familiar with "SMART goals?"

S - specific
M - measurable
A - attainable
R - relevant
T - time-bound

How are you measuring attainment of your goals? That seems to be the big thing missing.

S - specific
M - measurable
A - attainable
R - relevant
T - time-bound

How are you measuring attainment of your goals? That seems to be the big thing missing.

Off topic diversion - or maybe not.

Smart goals work only for very simple easily defined tasks. (It's that "kind" vs "wicked" environment thing, well described in Range by David Epstein.) There are white papers from the 90s saying smart goals don't work, but management gurus rediscover them every few years. My work managers are true believers.

Bottom line, all the data shows that smart goals produce business, but not productivity.

What exactly does the brace do? In your own words?

And how exactly does it do it?

And I mean specifically. Down to vectors and each individual lever.

I'm not sure scientifically exactly what it does. What I do know is that the brace keeps your momentum from toppling over. It also helps to transfer power around the pivot and create the whip. The brace must be strong. All I do know as that as my pull speed has increased, the brace feeling has gotten stronger.

SaROCaM;3664080 said:

Agree with everything you said except this. I would argue that throwing with bad form is worse than not throwing at all. It breaks down your body and builds muscle memory that is more difficult to correct the more ingrained it is.

Totally agree with setting attainable, measurable goals. "Throw farther" isn't a good goal. It needs to be more specific than that.

Off topic diversion - or maybe not.

Smart goals work only for very simple easily defined tasks. (It's that "kind" vs "wicked" environment thing, well described in Range by David Epstein.) There are white papers from the 90s saying smart goals don't work, but management gurus rediscover them every few years. My work managers are true believers.

Bottom line, all the data shows that smart goals produce business, but not productivity.

Not meant to be an exact fit. The point was to show progress through something measurable.

Agree with everything you said except this. I would argue that throwing with bad form is worse than not throwing at all. It breaks down your body and builds muscle memory that is more difficult to correct the more ingrained it is.

I had thought about that, but I would qualify it this way: perhaps in the short run, and if the mistakes are not discovered soon enough. Sometimes people need to try things out and find out for themselves. If someone takes 3 months and thinks they will surely progress a certain amount, then after those 3 months they realize they didn't meet their goal, then they know that there were flaws in that approach. If there was some progress, but not as much as expected, then perhaps the timeframe for the goal was wrong. If there was zero progress, then the approach was completely wrong. By doing something, at least there is more information/data to evaluate.

If RoDeO's approach this winter leads to 425'+ in the spring, then that shows one path to progress.

If it leads to 395' in the spring, then there was some progress, but not as much as expected.

If it leads to 380' in the spring, then that is the same rate as before, so the winter program didn't really do anything.

If it leads to 360' in the spring, then the approach just screwed things up. Scrap it, let it be a cautionary tale.

In the short run, there could be some negative effects/results. But if that experience leads to takeaways that lead to future progress, then in the long run it may have been worth it.

Plus, throwing discs is fun. I'd rather have fun throwing with flawed form than not throw at all.

Last edited:

S - specific
M - measurable
A - attainable
R - relevant
T - time-bound

First goal was throw quantity and throw quality. Initially my goal was to throw 50 each night and end with 10 perfect release angle throws. That was going to be over the course of 4 months/20 weeks. After the first week that number was too light so I increased it to 100 throws per night over the same period and take weekends off. Then as my stamina improved I found that I had tons of gas in the tank and the desire to throw more so I threw weekends too and upped my per night throws to around 120.

It's the same across the board with other parameters I set. I view goals as more of setting a standard or bar that must be attained minimally. So, for instance- if my overall goal is to throw harder and farther then I set a number each night that must be absolute maximum effort shots and take time inbetween each shot to analyze what might work better and try to throw the next one harder, faster. This is where a radar would be very helpful but not absolutely necessary. I can generally tell by how the pull feels- how much mass the disc has against the brace at release, on where my progress is.

Goals should have a base minimum but open ended. For instance, a hundered throws as my goal one day turned into about 250 throws with a certain percentage after a 100 being controlled throws, hyzer throws, etc.

I'm always trying to incorporate different tweaks in the throw to experiment and then come to what feels the most powerful and smooth. I keep coming back to the same early turn and reachback though as I can really feel the well of power there.

Last edited: