• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rebuilding CLard's throw

Move your weight back diagonally toward the right in the backswing to the left foot like walking backwards and parallel to target, then walk back forward onto plant and swing. There should be a little lateral weightshift of an inch or two, just like walking normally. That should allow you to turn much further back behind the plant leg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y#t=5m25s

Yeah you are actually stepping onto the left leg and completely weighting it...your right heel is lifting off the ground. Your head is aligned with your left leg and then you continue to push over the top of your right hip off your left leg.

You can see this from your head being tilted forward/overtop as you are landing on the right leg, rather than lagging. Your rear toes are also weighted too long/late because you are using the left leg to push your weight forward and overtop.

Essentially, you are not doing one leg drill and aligning your spine and head on the front leg. You are doing a standstill throw and pushing over the top.

Yea, these kinda felt like my normal stand still more than the one leg drill.

then you continue to push over the top of your right hip off your left leg.

Can you describe this more? Not sure I completely understand where I am pushing over the top of my right hip. Thanks for the feedback! It is always appreciated!

So you can see you are set up on the rear leg, not on the front leg.

This is why your back leg spins out, and you can also see your torso tips "over top" of your right hip, rather than standing upright on it as if you walked forward onto your right leg.

attachment.php

Attachments

• clard.jpg
    clard.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 149
Basically the rear foot/instep should move your weight/spine/balance laterally to the front leg...so it should slide you sideways and move closer to the target. Then once you land on the front leg, you can start to rotate. Instead you are rotating on the axis of the rear leg, so the rear foot is spinning in place and the heel actually moves farther away from the target.

I was just playing with some timing and balance stuff inside and I think I felt how to change this. It is a pretty fundamental change though, and I think it's going to feel weird at first.

Yeah, your backswing and spine tilt is also telegraphing your arm swing plane and throw downward into the ground with a "high" reachback. If you were in dynamic balance to the front leg you have a "low" or level reachback with the spine tilted back / upright to front leg.

Yeah, your backswing and spine tilt is also telegraphing your arm swing plane and throw downward into the ground with a "high" reachback. If you were in dynamic balance to the front leg you have a "low" or level reachback with the spine tilted back / upright to front leg.

If my spine is tilted back won't I just launch the disc into the sky nose up?

That's better. The first throw is incorrect using your old motions...you can see that your upper body/shoulders/arm start rotating forward as your right leg is still coming down/squatting, before it has accepted the weight. Essentially in this throw you are trying to rotate before planting, which would be rotating off of the rear leg. You can see as your elbow moves toward the "power pocket" your rear toes are still weighted and your rear heel rotates away from the target...your rear leg spins out backward rather than leveraging your body toward the target.

Compare that with your last throw, which is more of a standstill throw, but a huge improvement. In the top of your backswing your rear leg is extended with your left hip turned back and close to the target...this is the butt wipe drill. Your spine and right hip are near the plant foot, and you can drop straight down to plant, rather than need to push. Your right leg is then weighted and you are still at an extended/delayed backswing. Although your rear heel moves away from the target a little bit initially, your rear knee and femur move toward the target and your foot then moves forward too. If you go frame by frame from backswing to power pocket, your head/chin are aligned to your plant leg as well.

It is only tilted back during the reachback. Use your left foot to push your spine vertical and balanced over your right hip as your right heel is coming down.

Last edited:

Quite possibly if your spine is tilted back when you are actually throwing, yes.

But not during the reachback. There is normally a backwards tilt to the spine during reachback, aligning it with the front leg/foot as SW has said. Then the spine becomes more upright as you plant/begin the throw.
During your one leg drills this will most likely be less exaggerated than you'd see in a full throw.
Qgz1I0u.jpg

^In those images that Coreymill posted, think of it as having the butt and torso/chest on opposite sides of the pivot/plant. So there's an athletic tilt forward of the torso, and when you turn back for the backswing you will look like you are leaning down or tilted back...does not feel like this to me though, it's not the same as leaning/collapsing. After you land on the plant leg the butt is cleared away from the target, so the torso swings/pivots around and is now facing forward and downward slightly.

It's pretty weird...it's not just your spine turning on axis, but also your butt is counterweighting your torso swinging.

^You've got to put some extra characters tacked on to the URL when you post the link so that it doesn't just automatically embed the video. Then we can copy/paste the right URL portion.

When you do vertical video the embedded Vimeo player doesn't have a time bar at the bottom.

How did you make that type of link?
In this case I just right clicked the video and went to inspect element. The url for the embedded video is shown in the inspector/html.

It looks like you can get the same link/url if you click on the paper airplane 'Share' button of a vimeo video. The url is shown in the 'Embed' section (sometimes signified by an icon that looks like this < /> )