• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rebuilding CLard's throw

If my spine is tilted back won't I just launch the disc into the sky nose up?
Throw slightly upward nose down to the apex and let the disc glide out. If you throw downward nose up you are creating a lot of lift and drag to the apex and won't get any nose down glide out from apex.
It is only tilted back during the reachback. Use your left foot to push your spine vertical and balanced over your right hip as your right heel is coming down.
Quite possibly if your spine is tilted back when you are actually throwing, yes.

But not during the reachback. There is normally a backwards tilt to the spine during reachback, aligning it with the front leg/foot as SW has said. Then the spine becomes more upright as you plant/begin the throw.
During your one leg drills this will most likely be less exaggerated than you'd see in a full throw.
Qgz1I0u.jpg
I don't push the spine vertical or change tilt, although it may appear that way. I simply turn everything from the pelvis maintaining the same forward athletic tilt. Forward tilt in backswing appears / as chest is facing away, while forward tilt in late forward swing appears \ with chest facing more forward, and inbetween it appears vertical like l looked at from side view, but if looked at from behind tee you would see the forward tilt chest toward knees.

Quite possibly if your spine is tilted back when you are actually throwing, yes.

But not during the reachback. There is normally a backwards tilt to the spine during reachback, aligning it with the front leg/foot as SW has said. Then the spine becomes more upright as you plant/begin the throw.
During your one leg drills this will most likely be less exaggerated than you'd see in a full throw.
Qgz1I0u.jpg

^In those images that Coreymill posted, think of it as having the butt and torso/chest on opposite sides of the pivot/plant. So there's an athletic tilt forward of the torso, and when you turn back for the backswing you will look like you are leaning down or tilted back...does not feel like this to me though, it's not the same as leaning/collapsing. After you land on the plant leg the butt is cleared away from the target, so the torso swings/pivots around and is now facing forward and downward slightly.

It's pretty weird...it's not just your spine turning on axis, but also your butt is counterweighting your torso swinging.

These explanations were really helpful. I had some success today reaching back like this and it definitely feels stronger.

I simply turn everything from the pelvis maintaining the same forward athletic tilt. Forward tilt in backswing appears / as chest is facing away, while forward tilt in late forward swing appears \ with chest facing more forward, and inbetween it appears vertical like l looked at from side view, but if looked at from behind tee you would see the forward tilt chest toward knees.

Not sure why I never got this before but it makes a lot of sense, and feels much better too.

The timing change to throw when my weight is already on my plant foot is proving to be very difficult. Any ideas for how to work on this? You can see from my throws yesterday mostly what is happening with the right leg pump thing I'm doing. I've been throwing with this timing for so long it is pretty ingrained.

It's all about starting and finishing in balance.

Last edited:
I dont get what you guys mean about roll the wrist under at release and use the DFP thumb.

Not sure I've really made any form progress, but I had kind of forgotten about the DFP grip and wasn't really using it effectively. Moving the thumb out onto the flight plate, doing the key turn/rolling the wrist under, and pulling the rim into my palm has made a huge difference. The release consistency has been amazing, and it definitely helps get the nose down. I recorded a bunch of throws and it like YANKS the nose down at the last second when the disc is coming out. It'll look like it's going to be a nose up release and then it corrects at the last second.

Been reading a lot on here, and watching lots of slow no and something got me thinking. I think it was watching Kevin Jones throw and noticing his right side. And then watching Drew Gibson and noticing his right side. They both really noticably drive the throw with their left side, but what I was seeing was that they are "catching" that drive with their right side.

What I mean by that is that all of the force they are bringing in with the left side of their body is being caught by their back muscles and back of the arm muscles to keep the arm wide instead of the throwing arm collapsing in to the chest. Basically all of the muscles that you feel activating if you hold the disc in right pec position and then use your off hand to try to pull the disc directly away from the target.

So when I went to the field to throw I created some tension through the back of my arm and back on my throwing arm side and boy did it feel strong. It was successful for me on the very first throw. I threw 30 or 40 shots like this and was absolutely clobbering some putters. It felt so consistent and powerful. It felt like I could really channel that off arm move like Paul and Drew and so many of those big arms do.

Probably didn't explain this well but just wanted to get my thoughts out there. Hope everyone is doing well!

Not sure I've really made any form progress, but I had kind of forgotten about the DFP grip and wasn't really using it effectively. Moving the thumb out onto the flight plate, doing the key turn/rolling the wrist under, and pulling the rim into my palm has made a huge difference. The release consistency has been amazing, and it definitely helps get the nose down. I recorded a bunch of throws and it like YANKS the nose down at the last second when the disc is coming out. It'll look like it's going to be a nose up release and then it corrects at the last second.

Hey, so I've been playing around with the DFP grip. When you say you pull the rim into palm: Is this as it's coming forward just before the thumb push? Like you squeeze with the index or all fingers (?) so that it bends disc inward a little in order to setup the thumb push? Or do you just squeeze it in the whole time?

Hey stranger.

Isn't that your corking the shoulder?

Shift from behind.

The first part is corking the shoulder, but the thing I wasn't doing was using my back/back of my arm muscles on the throwing arm to catch all of the benefit of the corking the shoulder. I just had always let my arm be REALLY loose, and this felt like adding some tension back into the throwing arm and my back on the throwing arm side.

Hey, so I've been playing around with the DFP grip. When you say you pull the rim into palm: Is this as it's coming forward just before the thumb push? Like you squeeze with the index or all fingers (?) so that it bends disc inward a little in order to setup the thumb push? Or do you just squeeze it in the whole time?

I don't know that I've ever actively done the thumb push so I can't speak to that exactly. What I was referring to is at the very end of the throw squeezing the disc into my palm. I am squeezing primarily with my index and middle fingers. The ring and pinky are just along for the ride. I actually don't use my pinky at all when I'm throwing drivers. There is some thumb action as well for sure, but as far as pulling the disc into the palm I am specifically talking about middle and index fingers.

So I'm struggling to get my weight on my front leg as always. Any particular things I can try in order to work on that? Before I got feedback that it's about starting and ending in balance. How is my balance off and what can i do to fix it?

I did feel like I made some progress keeping my nose over my toes. First throw is less good...second throw is better I hope?