• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reid's Journey to Backhand Mastery

Are you lobbing the putt at all, or doing more of a line drive? If you're too lobby then the high/low misses can be challenging...in too close and it's easy to be high, too far away and easy to be low. If you drive them a bit more then you have a long flight range that the disc is still at the correct height.

That being said if I tried to learn to putt with my left hand I'm sure I would be way more prone to one-off mistakes at random for a long time.

Also videoing your putt could be helpful, at minimum for you to see what it actually looks like.
Yes, definitely more of a lob. I really struggle to get straight lines and spin putting is an absolute joke for me. No clue how anyone does that. My brain just won't believe outside of 25' that its even possible though I've seen it done, I just can't seem to accomplish it consistently. I know I need to be applying more force with the "pinch" rather than pushing upwards on the flight plate with my fingers. I can't figure out to do it though.

It feels like a spring outward to me, I sling the back edge of the disc toward the basket and it pops out on line toward the chains. Good weight shift is the foundation of consistency and also longer distances, but figuring out this pop/sling feel is huge. I'm not thinking upward or pressure on the flight plate up at all, just back edge popping away from me toward the target in that last instant.

Go as close as you need to, like 12-15' and pop THROUGH the chains, not to the chains. Trust it will catch it. No lobbing. When you get it right it'll be the same feel or power on a 12' putt as a 25' putt.

I can't spin putt either but after figuring out that slinging feeling in my putts, I can easily keep balance on 40-45'ers without worrying about power at all, just aim. Before, I had to start worrying about power at 35' and I'd be stepping through or jump putting around that 45' range.

It's such a huge difference when you only have to think about aim and not getting there too.

Yeah the weightshift aspect of it I can do decently, it's really just the inconsistent release out of the hand. When I hold it too tightly I'm missing high, but then sometimes it slips out early when I'm not holding it hard enough. I can't find the balance.

Uploading a couple vids now.

Start completely on the front leg, outstretch to the hit position like on a drive. This is where you will have to shift your weight forward to, and where the pop/release will be so it makes sense to aim from here too. You're starting between the legs and when you load back also stepping back first like deyo7 pointed out. Of course you can eventually do whatever routine works for you, but give it a try to start standing more forward to the actual release point, rather than leaned back between the legs.

On release the disc looks like it's 20+ degrees nose down. This forces you to throw a very high to low shot, and you're pushing the flight plate up like you said too. Try to putt very flat, so that you can concentrate more on disc rotation rather than pushing the disc forward like a brick. You can always adjust the spin to push ratio later, but I really think you're doing too much shovel and not enough leverage. A flatter release will make it way more possible to feel the back of the disc sling forward to become the front...because they'll be on the same plane.

Yes there are a ton of different putting styles that can be effective, but try a really flat shot or only a couple degrees nose down...this will help you with getting easier glide. Especially if you're having trouble reaching 25'ers.

a someone said; "It´s all about the release". If you got that down you should be able to putt pretty much from any position as long as you are not in the air.

I think it was SP who first posted this a couple of years ago. This is Paul shifting and getting up on the front leg.

FWIW, note how your rear leg sorta moves back in the backswing? I like to keep that leg braced, in place, and then leverage off the ground in the forward swing, which you already know the feeling for with driving....
Yep, putt like One Leg Drill balanced forward on front leg or almost Feet Together Drill. Barely any weight on rear foot, that is only way McBeth can screw his back foot back and forth on the ground. He just uses the back foot for leverage forward and counter balance/weight kick behind him as swing goes forward, he's not really shifting his weight back to back foot or much of it. Front shin should get vertical and knee should get forward of ankle - athletic.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.13.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 1.13.53 AM.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Yeah I feel really far forward in one leg drill when aiming. Like WAY forward extending to the hit/release, but in balance.

So it's interesting to see in this comparison I'm even MORE far forward when I actually putt because my rear leg is counterbalancing me.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Putting.jpg
    Putting.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 72
Good tips guys. It's pretty apparent on my video my "shift" is more like a shift upwards. I'm starting leaning a tad forwards, but then I'm like straight up and that's pushing everything up high. I have experimented with focusing on my rear leg, and it does tend to allow me to putt straighter. The good putters you hardly see any torso movement up and down.

Yeah leaning forward and keeping my head more still (not conciously, just as a result of better balance) really helps. I'm still releasing pretty hyzer and nose down although strangely it flies more straight through the air from my perspective than the video shows. I think I'm popping it up a little at the very end with my fingers. When my head is over my toes and my rear leg is balancing me, it feels like I can jam the putt as hard as I want instead of having to "time" the release with my balance being back. Now I understand how people can commit to the putt instead of it being a more touch thing.

Even though it's the scariest putt in terms of a come back , I feel like the flattest and hardest part that you can generate is the most effective long-term goal. I try to balance the amount of wrist bend And finger spring with the amount of arm movement so that it feels controlled.

Too much of either and it seems to to be unpredictable.

Even though it's the scariest putt in terms of a come back , I feel like the flattest and hardest part that you can generate is the most effective long-term goal. I try to balance the amount of wrist bend And finger spring with the amount of arm movement so that it feels controlled.

Too much of either and it seems to to be unpredictable.
I agree. I could just never figure out how to not lob the putt. Like fundamentally there was a disconnect between what my brain wanted to do and how my body wanted to do it. I probably would hit more putts if I legitimately aimed my putts at the cage instead of center pole. And actually, I remember Calvin Heimburg saying he actually does something like that, which is crazy.

I'm going to get more putting video today.

Here's a throwing video from recently too: Nothing too new I think in terms of what I'm doing right/wrong. This was a pretty bad throwing day too. One new thing I noticed is that my front foot is striding too far back instead of neutral. Most of the other stuff I know I need to work on. Missed the second shot by like 6" of missing the tree and getting down there for a putt.

Last edited:
Another putting vid from today: just focusing on leaning forward and being in balance. It's nice being able to fully commit and not sail over the basket. Last putt I got a little bit lazy and ended up hitting top of the basket. But this is me putting a lot harder than usual and from pretty close. It's nice to be able to do that now.

That putting balance looks way better to me. When I'm aiming the shot I'm still 100% on the front leg, the rear toes are just touching down. You're forward and getting close to where you want to be during the putt, but then falling back to between the legs after aiming. Again everyone's routine can be different, just bringing up different things to try. I just find that being completely forward when aiming puts me in almost the same position as I'll be in when I actually release the putt. In comparison when you aim, your chin is over the foot but the hip isn't...when you commit to the putt your hip gets all the way forward.

Here's a throwing video from recently too: Nothing too new I think in terms of what I'm doing right/wrong. This was a pretty bad throwing day too. One new thing I noticed is that my front foot is striding too far back instead of neutral. Most of the other stuff I know I need to work on. Missed the second shot by like 6" of missing the tree and getting down there for a putt.
Your first step with right foot is pointed around 135 degrees away from target instead of around 45 degrees which is going to mess with your balance/posture/sequence. Start feet together facing the target more when leading with the right foot, so you will be continually turning back. You actually start turning forward early with your left foot planting pigeon toed because your right foot is already turned back too far. Your rear knee is extending instead of flexing into the plant.

Another putting vid from today: just focusing on leaning forward and being in balance. It's nice being able to fully commit and not sail over the basket. Last putt I got a little bit lazy and ended up hitting top of the basket. But this is me putting a lot harder than usual and from pretty close. It's nice to be able to do that now.

Damn! Now that is some power from the front leg! :eek:

Damn! Now that is some power from the front leg! :eek:

I'm really thinking that it can be easier to show someone how to putt in balance and then learn to throw better from that as a base.

Your vertical line comparison on your throw setup vs. follow through with my putt a few posts up also really helped me feel more leverage. I have to feel like I squat more into my plant, and it helps my lower body counter the torso better as it swings forward and I can have balance more similar to in my putt. Haven't got to try it yet with a disc but it feels very powerful and easy to balance, while being easier to create space for the swing.