• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Releasing The Disc Flat

I am mostly RHFH thrower. I recently changed my grip to 2 fingers stacked against the lip. Before that I was using just the pointer finger inside the lip and putting the middle finger on the bottom of the lip. I notice that I'm getting more power, greater control of hyzer/ anny angle, longer glide. However, my control of elevation angle is worse. In other words, the disc climbs at a steep angle or dives to the ground when I intend to make a level throw. I assume this is because I'm releasing it nose up or nose down.

Any advice on how to control this better?

If it is nose up has the new grip increased muscle tension especially between the wrist and the elbow? That may stiffen the forearm muscles enough to raise the wrist. Loose muscles allow the wrist to drop. Waking up looseness may lead to worm burners :) If the wrist raises from the muscles being too floppy you need to actively push down the wrist with the muscles around the forearm.

Oh my god, I have almost always tried to release the disc flat, now that I read Blake's explanation I feel so dumb. Although I have several major flaws in my game, the worst has been the inconsistency with the flight paths. Sometimes the disc goes straight, but usually it either leaves (or quickly turns) as anhyzer or more rarely as nose up hyzer. I have noticed before that releasing with small hyzer angle has made the disc fly straighter (especially putters which are almost always wormburners when I try to release them flat), but for some reason I have though that as "cheating" and decided to learn the straight release first properly. Maybe I should be play with the angles more next time on field..

Guess I'm a freak then, I've always found it easier to release my throws as close to flat as I can, letting the disc do most of the work. I can and do work the disc when it fits the purpose, but my favorite shot from almost any distance is the dead nuts straight flat throw. Luckily I've been fortunate enough to find discs that allow me to play this way.

jubuttib said:
Guess I'm a freak then, I've always found it easier to release my throws as close to flat as I can, letting the disc do most of the work. I can and do work the disc when it fits the purpose, but my favorite shot from almost any distance is the dead nuts straight flat throw. Luckily I've been fortunate enough to find discs that allow me to play this way.

The sea side winds and wooded courses have forced this on me and it seems to be the most natural for me to throw too. I guess disc technology plays a part too. Discs that don't flip can handle more wind than those that flip in calm conditions.