• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Run up for backhand

When throwing back hand should your run up be the same every time or should it change based on what type of shot you are throwing?

My footwork is always the same. I might change the angle that I do it based on what type of shot, but my steps are the same.

I start at the right hand side of the rear of the teepad with my right foot on the pad and left foot off. If I want to throw to the right I start in the middle of the pad. If I want to throw left I start completely off to the right of the pad. The footwork is exactly the same just on a different line.

While ive seen sucess with many styles, i find the basic rundown the most consistant for me;

Rh hyzer - L rear corner to R front
Rh anny - R rear corner to L front
Straight - Straight

I will bring in the corner for varying amonts of hyzer/anny need or the line restrictions.
I try to keep me footwork the same.

back right > front left (right)
back right > middle (straight)
middle/slight right > middle (left)

changes slightly sometimes depending upon the hole, but thats a general layout of what i do. footwork the same unless its a short throw (obviously)

I try to keep my run-up exactly the same, but change my upper-body for the type of shot I'm making. Get over the disc for a hyzer, get under it for anny and focus on standing upright when throwing flat. The direction I run across the t-pad is how I 'aim' where I'm throwing.

While ive seen sucess with many styles, i find the basic rundown the most consistant for me;

Straight - Straight

I will bring in the corner for varying amonts of hyzer/anny need or the line restrictions.

I basically do this. I try to have my body traveling in the direction that i want the disc traveling after the throw. Alot of the time I'm physically off to the side of the teepad if the disc is going at a wider angle.

Straight - Straight

Yep, I do just about the same.

It doesn't matter if you bring your disc with you as you run.
What does matter is if you let your hand drag behind you with the disc and then you pull it forward.

I don't really care because I do a 360 turn while driving backhand.

It doesn't matter if you bring your disc with you as you run.
What does matter is if you let your hand drag behind you with the disc and then you pull it forward.

I don't really care because I do a 360 turn while driving backhand.

huh?

I will shorten up my steps and increase footspeed a little on uphill angled teepads. Will also lengthen my steps and slow down my steps on downhill angled teepads.

My run up changes depending on distance. If I'm going for all out distance I'll go up to about a 30 foot run up. My run up is long anyways but I always have a big up if the teepad allows for it.

Latest posts