• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Had a great time myself, and enjoyed meeting the ACE crew!

Your son's solid player, period. Won't even bother to qualify that statement with a "for a 12 yr old." His tee shots sail and look effortless. But given his age, I imagine he's still got a lot of upside. Wouldn't be surprised to seen him competing at USADGC in a few more years.

Best of all, he seems like a great kid, who's just having fun, and needs an outlet for his Jack Russel Terrier-like energy. ;)

Thanks so much for that! I'm biased but I think the future is bright for him in this sport. He's already beaten me 9 times this year and I'm 920 rated...

Played 2 rounds this afternoon at Hornings Hideout, warmed up on Highlands then did Canyons. Played ok I guess. Lost my brand new Tui on hole 4 of Highlands. Then came back to play meadow ridge. Lost my Glow Thunderbird on hole 8. That stung, that's not
an easy disc to replace. Guess I'll just glow tape a regular Thunderbird if I play any night golf this year.

There was a best shot triples tourney here in town today. I teamed up with my 12-year-old and his 13-year-old friend (heh, all three of us are in age-protected divisions) and we finished one stroke away from the exact middle out of nearly all adults. (There was one other card of older teens and we got them by one). We only beat two teams last year but beat 9 this year. The boys declared they want to cash in next year's. We'll have to get two strokes better...

Mediocre. Folllowed up by a little better than mediocre. Might've aced hole 2 had they not moved the basket 3 or 4 feet to the left on hole 2. Putting awful, spraying shots all over, etc.

Winter is upon us. Time to reset the bag and switch to losable discs. Glow bag is set already.

Played down near sea level for the first time. Took me about nine holes before I figured out how to throw down here. Ended up throwing a Felon for a lot of shots because everything else I brought would flip up or turn over on me. Ended up in thick woods more times than I wanted until I figured it out.

Mud season here. I'm always surprised at how often my disc will land in a little high area in the middle of 12 puddles. Anyway, terrible putting but my back foot was slipping. Sank a 70 footer, though; and birdied the last hole with a parked drive and a patent-pending putt for 2. Overall score was sad, though.

Shot a -3 on our new course in town. It definitely favours right handers in general but there's a couple lefty holes that are just droolably beautiful.

I think course record so far is a -10, so that makes me feel pretty good playing as an 845 rated player to shoot a 3 down, which, the pdga app tells me is a 1050 rated round but how accurate is that? (Not overly), I feel I could have done at least 4 strokes better if not for lazy putts or one negative altercation with a power pole support wire that left a nice mark all over my new F5... lol

Pretty damn happy with the form work that I've been doing lately finally coming to life.

Was on my way to a several under par and my highest rated round, which would've gotten me 5th place in MPO, when I effectively 5-putted (4 putts with a 40ft rollaway into OB) a hole and took a quad bogey.

Went to the other competitive course in my area afterwards and shot a ridiculous 10-under which would've been ~1030 in competition, UDisc tells me only our local semi-touring pro has shot better.

So pretty good I'd say, but that one hole haunts me.

Went only putter + Comet -- not the best choice on a windy day. The drives that worked well were beautiful, as Comet flights are. But for several drives I would have wished to have an overstable disc. The driving experience was a mixture of both ... as was my putting on that day: misses from very close but also made putts or above average runs from far away.

Played in a one day, two round tournament. I have a sore throwing arm (in a previous tournament, I torqued my arm badly and pulled or otherwise hurt something near the elbow) and can't throw backhand...putts can be painful, but a backhand upshot is out of the question....and I had to throw a scoober on one shot...oh, the pain and my fingers went numb. But I still had an awesome set of rounds. The first round I was tied for 6 (8 players total - MA60). In the second round, I couldn't hold it together and ended up 8 of 8, by one throw. But before this, I would have been 8th place by several throws and I do believe that I would not have been last if I had been able to throw backhand when I needed to.

(Seeing my chiropractor who also specializes in soft tissue damage today....and I've planned on not playing the rest of this year, but that could change depending on what the chiropractor says. I'm going to find out what to do when this happens - ice it or heat it....and what to do to keep it from happening again.)

Played in our teams' first NETC match of the 2021-22 season......

Round 1, singles match play - My opponent was rated 50 points above me but I took the first hole with an absolute jem of a drive. Let him take the next 4 holes by making some stupid shots. Then we pushed for a few holes, went back and forth a few more holes before I was defeated on #16, 4&2.
Round 2, best disc doubles, stroke play - My partner and I battled with the opposing team for the first 9 holes before we hit the gas and edged out the "W", 53-55.

Only my second "2 rounds in a day" since recovering from Covid but this one was noticeably different. I had some great shots early and late in the day, even having some gas in the tank afterwards. REALLY SORE today, its gonna take some time to get back that game i had. :thmbup:

I went out to the field to set a baseline for some offseason distance goals. Did that, then went out to the course later in the day and started working on my first change, which is a grip change to combat throwing nose up. I had some encouraging throws, but I also turned over my longest driver about 60 feet into a pond.

Its no longer today... but yesterday I got my first 1000 rated round since November 2019. Barely, 1001, but it counts. (assuming it holds up after it goes final in a few weeks)

I've only played 10 rated rounds since then, 5 of them over 980, 3 over 990. So it hasn't been all "bad" but nice to get a four digit round in.

It was a fundraiser event for the Rocket Disc Golf collegiate team I coach/advise. I turned down the prize for winning advanced because I was sandbagging just to get a rated round in (no open division).

Even as I am happy to get a 4 digit round in.... I was a little disappointed all the same. After 7/7 birdies with my Z Zone I had one roll away on the 17th hole and missed the 35 footer. And including that one missed a 35, 35, and 30 footer to end my round. Went 93% C1X, and made 1/6 C2 putts (though one was a 50+ foot uphill on the 3rd hole that saved a bogey after my drive went into a road). But I guess that's where I am right now - I feel like about a 980 golfer, and I snuck over 1000 on my home course's short tees.

Well, I'll tell you how I played yesterday... shockingly.

Brand new course, not quite ready for a tournament but heck, we did it anyways.

Long story short, this course has a huge favoritism towards righties, I think one of the designers is mad at us lol.

First round, tied for first in my division, pretty pumped about it because I was pretty uncomfortable with my forehand for some very odd reason before the round started. Had some rough bogeys but other than that, stuck to my game plan and came out just fine.

Here's where it gets interesting......

- Round 2 Tee Times are uploaded, my score is all of the sudden off by two strokes for no reason made clear to me, and, although still tied for third with two phantom strokes (we kept different scorecards, both matched at the end of the first round), I would certainly be on the lead card with the two players ahead of us. Nope...... the two tied for first now would be on a card with 2 no shows, putting me and the other fella tied for 3rd to a card with 5th and 6th. Never seen that happen before....

Round 2 begins, no clarification to if the lead two waited for the group behind them to catch up, but.... whatever, head down. Started with a terrible tree kick that led to a bogey, followed by a perfect high drifting anhyzer that gave me a birdie look, but my putts missed dead center high 3 times. This would be the story of my round, give me a putt outside 40 feet and I was hitting, or 10 feet, but the 20-25 footers were missing high center. No headwind that I could tell at the time either.....

Over all, the course is beautiful and will also be my new summer home. I managed to record the first eagle on a very..... cartoony hole, we should say. I love the way a zone hits the basket on a forehand anny.

All said and done, my putting woes are getting to me. I need to learn how to get out of my own head, and just relax and do what I do when I play casually.

Yesterday was a SPLENDID weather day in Michigan, just what I live for, sunny and 64 degrees, the kind of day where I wear shorts and a t-shirt but never break a sweat. This time of year outside of the K'Aces leagues that play four different courses weekly, I get my Meyer Broadway time in and alternate between North Longs and South Shorts.

For whatever reason, I slayed the South Shorts after work yesterday, birdieing half the holes with only one bogey on the tough uphill #15 (my drive hit the evergreen about 150' in front of the tee, then a flex forehand uphill to a pin on the right ticked a bare tree branch).

I threw one in from 80' on the tight ace run wooded hole #5 and on the next hole drained a 50-footer. I love my 3-year-old XT Aviar so much! In 3 of my last 4 rounds I've thrown in big ones. The last couple were with my beat Deputy shaping shots in the woods. Got me a 125-footer this weekend.

What I really liked was how my forehand drives were going for me. I used to be ALL forehand 25 years ago and could get up to 350' with Whippets and X-Clones. These days it's 100 feet less, but I've gotten slowly and surely better and better since deciding to resurrect the forehand a couple of years ago. I've taught myself how to flip up understable stuff, and yesterday I got my Z-Heat out to 280' on one of the holes. Not bad for somebody who gets sore playing whiffle ball and has some difficulty getting my left sock on. NO pain, either. It's a big difference from my early days of muscling those forehands in ugly fashion.

My 46 yesterday was a 985 rated round at the last event there in early October from those tees. I felt like I was 26 years old again!!

Last edited:
Oh, and I should add, I played up to a 72-year-old guy who was out also enjoying a solo casual round and we joined up once I helped him find a Disc stuck up in a thick tree. He's been playing for 3 years and loving this new pastime. I gave him a putting tip and on the next hole he nailed a big 30-footer! ("Focus on going up the pole"). Watching him enjoy himself out there gives me hope for the next 25 years!

Stepped up to the tee on a shot that I have to hang out over the water a bit to land straight ahead in a very narrow area with walking path left and water right. Reached into my bag to grab my white Pro Thunderbird with the gold F2 stamp. Mid-swing, I noted how the rim felt smaller than I remembered. Then about the point where I released the disc, I remembered that I had pulled out my Thunderbird and packed my white Pro Leopard with the gold F2 stamp a few rounds ago.

I was able to retrieve it with a tape measure, though.

Latest posts