• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Star and Champion Wraith vs Pro

evansanity

Bogey Member
Been throwing a 169 pro wraith and I really like it, but I don't know how much longer it will last, how much of a difference is there with the higher quality plastic wraiths?

It's too soon on the Zyzz pics, Brah.

But on the cereal I use Pro Wraiths as my distance driver and love it but I did however get a max weight Champ and it is a nice compliment when the head wind (though not howling) is up and I am not sure my Pros can handle it on a 400ft rip.

I Champ and Star Wraiths seem to vary more than the Pro. All of my Pro Wraiths are nice and domey with great glide and easy to get some understability out of. Champ and Star on the other hand I've had anywhere between pancake flat and poppy top in a broad range of PLH on both. I had one E* Wraith that was domey and low PLH and was more understable than any Pro I've had.

I will say though that even with all of the variation in the high end plastics, I've always had a use for what ever I got. I carry a Pro for distance duties and a flat stable Star for sidearm and mild headwinds.

The champs I've had were much more stable than stars or pros and had less glide. The stars ive had have been inconsistent on stability, some more stable than pro, some less, check the plh. I think you should try a e*star, they're more stable than pros and have almost ad much glide IMO.

I've thrown DX, Pro, and Echo... The Echo by far was the most stable out of the three plastics. Dx got to the point of turning over everytime I would rip it. Echo took a while to break in, to where I'm comfortable with it...but it is definitely my big D RHBH disc. It always comes back left. Pro like you would imagine fits in the middle but didn't hold what I would call the "sweet spot" for long. From now on I just go premium plastic. As the disc evolves, you will always have a place for it in your bag.

Champ Archons rock my socks. I've replaced my love of Wraiths with a love of the Champ Archon.

heh. noob.

archon is dumpy. e* wraiths that are worth a damn are few and far between.

go lat.

Buy more Pro Wraiths and cycle them in. You want botha beat one and a new one in your bag.
The Archon is OK but if you have a beat wraith you don't need an Archon.

Occasionally you can find stiff blends of Pro and Star in the Wraith mold, typically domey. These are money. It takes a while to break them in, but they stay in the sweet spot much longer. I have a nice Pro Wraith (Greg Hosfeld GM World Champ stamp) that is sooooo money, I could never think of playing a tournament without it. I use it for long hyzer flips, rollers, and turn-overs that don't require a great deal of height at the apex...I think this is because the disc has a lot of lift force, so works low lines really nicely. My favorite Star Wraith is KC 12X, one of the stiff red blends. That started off wicked over-stable, but over time it beat in straighter and straighter and straighter. Now the disc is in its sweet spot, and I keep it as a back up for my Pro Wraith.

The Archon is new, I've not thrown it. The Wraith is well-established and has been extremely popular. Lots of top pros throw Wraiths a great deal as their go-to control driver (Climo, Anthon, Hosfeld). I think the Archon was meant to be more understable and finish straighter, to appeal more to newer players (just as the Vulcan relative to the Katana). I'm always suspicious of discs like this from Innova, and I wouldn't recommend using something that is designed to be a crutch (whether that is successful, or not).