• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

State with the most active Disc Golfers?

Coleman25

Par Member
Ive lived in North Dakota (Grand Forks) and it was dead.

Las Vegas Not too active (97-02)

Portland, OR (Didn't pick up a single disc when I lived there)

Ft Collins, CO We have a decent league, but there are ALOT of casual players here.

Where do you think has the most active scene?

SoCal was pretty active when I played there for a week. Both LA and SD.

Minnesota has a lot of golfers too. There is a league everyday of the week here in Minnesota except for Saturday. Timmy Gill's Sundog league brings in anywhere from 100 to almost 200 people every Tuesday. The public courses are always packed on nice days. I'm not sure where Minnesota ranks but, there is a nice disc golf scene here.

And some Minnesota leagues go year round regardless of weather including a glow league in winter. Twin Cities has more courses than anywhere within a 100 miles if you put a St. Paul zip code (like 55077) in the PDGA course search.

Chuck Kennedy said:
And some Minnesota leagues go year round regardless of weather including a glow league in winter. Twin Cities has more courses than anywhere within a 100 miles if you put a St. Paul zip code (like 55077) in the PDGA course search.

beat me to it chuck

SoCal, NC, and TX

Also on the 2nd Tier is MN and OK. Those Minnesota guys are nutty playing in the winter. :lol:

Coleman25 said:
What period of time were you living in Portland? The DG scene has been growing fast here the last couple years. During summertime you can find a weekly almost every night of the week, and on weekends there is often a choice to be made as to which event to attend. There are also weeklies and events held year round.

I doubt Oregon is anywhere near the top in terms of numbers but the Portland area is becoming a better and better place to DG every year.

I haven't been around very long but being on the east coast, everybody says NC is a Mecca for disc golfers. Plan to take a trip there this summer 8)

Jsw said:
I haven't been around very long but being on the east coast, everybody says NC is a Mecca for disc golfers. Plan to take a trip there this summer 8)

I think I've seen that NC requires the highest rated play to cash in open.

Furthur said:
Jsw said:

That was a seriously bad thread..

Eric O said:
Coleman25 said:
What period of time were you living in Portland? The DG scene has been growing fast here the last couple years. During summertime you can find a weekly almost every night of the week, and on weekends there is often a choice to be made as to which event to attend. There are also weeklies and events held year round.

I doubt Oregon is anywhere near the top in terms of numbers but the Portland area is becoming a better and better place to DG every year.

Portland is definitely going strong. Its got the biggest scene I've witnessed on the West Coast. From what I hear, it used to be that the WA players were the powerhouse and won all the tourneys. Now, it seems the tides have changed. :roll:

Funny people mention So-Cal as being one of the biggies. I was somewhat isolated when I was in So-Cal, but the scene there sucked from what I saw...lots of 1 disc wonder kind of players, but not much of anything organized. That was in Santa Barbara though, I'm sure things are bigger in LA.

Frank_Delicious said:
Furthur said:
Jsw said:

On the pdga board? I think the thread was about what area of the country requires the most skill to consistently cash in Open. Do you not think it's NC?

Furthur said:
Frank_Delicious said:
Furthur said:
Jsw said:

On the pdga board? I think the thread was about what area of the country requires the most skill to consistently cash in Open. Do you not think it's NC?

Cashing maybe but I would put our golfers in TX up against theirs anyday. I would say it is harder to cash here but usually it only takes like 990 to cash but like 1020 to win. I would say it is harder to be in the top 4 in TX though.

I'm pretty sure Logan sheets from NC moved to TX and still hasn't cashed and he did pretty well in NC. Also if MTL cashes a lot it can't be that hard. :eek:

scoot_er said:
Furthur said:
Frank_Delicious said:
Furthur said:
Jsw said:

Cashing maybe but I would put our golfers in TX up against theirs anyday. I would say it is harder to cash here but usually it only takes like 990 to cash but like 1020 to win. I would say it is harder to be in the top 4 in TX though.

I'm pretty sure Logan sheets from NC moved to TX and still hasn't cashed and he did pretty well in NC. Also if MTL cashes a lot it can't be that hard. :eek:

Oh Snap on MTL!

Logan did move from around here but he moved right when he turned pro and from what I've heard he was not playing a lot due to being in boot camp. I don't know though because I haven't heard anything about him in a while.

I don't think NC is consistently the hardest to cash at. We definitely have some tough guys here like Schwebby (who has been showing up everywhere and running away with everything), Mike Hoffman (who isn't playing as much), and JJ. If schwebby shows up on his game then its over for everyone else. We don't have a large pool of great pros anymore we do have a large pool of Advanced players who could be great pros.

I think places like Cali or Texas have larger, more competitive pro pools. We have a few select great pros and then a large drop off to a lot of mediocre pros.

Frank_Delicious said:
scoot_er said:
Furthur said:
Frank_Delicious said:
Furthur said:
Jsw said:

Oh Snap on MTL!

Logan did move from around here but he moved right when he turned pro and from what I've heard he was not playing a lot due to being in boot camp. I don't know though because I haven't heard anything about him in a while.

I don't think NC is consistently the hardest to cash at. We definitely have some tough guys here like Schwebby (who has been showing up everywhere and running away with everything), Mike Hoffman (who isn't playing as much), and JJ. If schwebby shows up on his game then its over for everyone else. We don't have a large pool of great pros anymore we do have a large pool of Advanced players who could be great pros.

I think places like Cali or Texas have larger, more competitive pro pools. We have a few select great pros and then a large drop off to a lot of mediocre pros.

I just like to throw TX in the mix because 3-4 years ago our pro field wasn't nearly as good as it is now. Plus we have Coda showing up at most of our B-tiers and higher and E-mac makes a few stops a year slong with the Readings who live here in the winter.

Well, as they say.... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Here is the "tour map" for the Play 'em All tour :)

http://www.playemalltour.com/tourmap.jpg

Looks like the Midwest is pretty well ahead in terms of # of courses. Id assume that reflects a much greater general interest in those areas.