• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suddenly nose up

Hold the disc in your hand. Extend it to the release point. Now pretend it's a key and "turn it on all the way" (rhbh). Notice what happens to tour forearm and elbow. I am trying to correct my swing as well. I do something awkward with my forearm.

Do you mind sharing some pics? I'm not sure I follow exactly...

Do you mind sharing some pics? I'm not sure I follow exactly...

CmuCLt.gif

kind of lost me at the "turning the key thing". As you throw the disc should there be a "turning the key" motion??? That doesn't make sense to me. That GIF in the previous post makes sense in regard to lining up the disc as I hold it in my hand before I reachback (to get the disc aligned with my forearm and get the wrist tilted down/shaking hands type position), but where does the key turn come into play?

kind of lost me at the "turning the key thing". As you throw the disc should there be a "turning the key" motion??? That doesn't make sense to me. That GIF in the previous post makes sense in regard to lining up the disc as I hold it in my hand before I reachback (to get the disc aligned with my forearm and get the wrist tilted down/shaking hands type position), but where does the key turn come into play?

I don't know- as I said, I'm still working on mine. But I notice sometimes my wrist is above my elbow in the pocket, which won't allow me to get the disc into this 'turned key' position on release. And I think those are the times I throw nose up. (Not talking about approach shots, but full throws)

This may or may not be relevant to your throw but since I've always struggled with nose up I thought I would share. Recently I watched a clinic with Will schusterick (I think it's on the dynamic discs YouTube channel) and noticed he was advocating a much lower reachback than I use. This was right before Ezra Aderhold released a video on the "reverse swoop" (there is a recent thread on it here in the forums here).

Basically I've been coming across with the disc as lot lower, and making sure my release it's higher than my reachback, which kind of forces the wrist down. These two things combined really helped me with my nose up problems. I just have to find a consistent release point now.

Played a round today and really focused on the turn the key aspect of my swing. It took a few warm up holes, but I got my swing back to feeling much more like it was and had much better nose angle, and lower throws. Big improvement.

How would you explain the Turn the Key aspect?

If you are throwing well, you're probably doing this already. I don't know the origin of the key turn, but I have to consciously keep my disc below my elbow and release with a key turn (pouring coffee) Hand angle in mind. (Not on power down upshots, but those with power)

Last edited:
If you are throwing well, you're probably doing this already. I don't know the origin of the key turn, but I have to consciously keep my disc below my elbow and release with a key turn (pouring coffee) Hand angle in mind. (Not on power down upshots, but those with power)

Makes sense. I thought it was describing some sort of clockwise rotation like you are turning a key in a lock or something and it didn't make sense.
So it is another way of thinking of the ulnar deviation/hand shake/coffee pour position of the wrist, not a rotational thing?

Makes sense. I thought it was describing some sort of clockwise rotation like you are turning a key in a lock or something and it didn't make sense.
So it is another way of thinking of the ulnar deviation/hand shake/coffee pour position of the wrist, not a rotational thing?

Perhaps two sides of the same coin - but I think there is a slight twist of my forearm at the hit, otherwise the disc doesn't come around all the way. I haven't seen any technique videos that cover this, so I might be off-base.

Alright 2nd time poster so I'll give this a whirl... discbee and seedling, its a counter clockwise turn at the hit if you're right handed. WATCH and REWATCH rhatton1's video about this it is THE video on this 'aspect' of the throw. You wil noob hyzer a few(at least) to start it off with. Once you get the TIMING down for the "key turn, coin push" you WILL feel it

Alright 2nd time poster so I'll give this a whirl... discbee and seedling, its a counter clockwise turn at the hit if you're right handed. WATCH and REWATCH rhatton1's video about this it is THE video on this 'aspect' of the throw. You wil noob hyzer a few(at least) to start it off with. Once you get the TIMING down for the "key turn, coin push" you WILL feel it

Welcome to the site. It would help us get your message, if you stop with the random capitalization of words.

Good to have you.

9b558363dd07e6865d34af9f37ca05c4.jpg

Found this when browsing through SP's form thread. Philo explained his thumb and wrist action to Sidewinder.

I'll watch! Link please?

Latest posts