• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG!!! HOW'D HE DYE THAT WHOLE THING CLEAR?!?!
IMG00175-20100724-2224.jpg

Just joined said party...."Buy it Now" on ebay.....I won't sleep until it arrives.

Watch out, bennett with a plotter! there are going to be some awsome discs up here in a couple weeks!

peeBody, I'm still a hand only cutter. problem is, I believe all hand cutters say plotters take away from the artistic value only because they themselves do not have plotters. Soon as my hobby income gets high enough I will also be arriving at the plotter party.

I hand cut for about 6 months and saved up all my extra pennies until I could buy a plotter. I think its good to have a solid grasp on hand cutting even when you have a plotter. It still comes in handy at times.
The sweet thing about having a plotter is the level of detail and consistency you can achieve. Text is crisp, and uniform. Lines are nice and smooth. You can pull off a crazy amount of detail way more efficiently. It puts alot less stress on the vinyl. You could spend multiple days hand cutting a detailed image, a plotter does it for you while you go take a leak, and grab a fresh brew! Thats freakin sweet!
There are some purists that seem to hate on plotters. Your still weeding the stencil, developing a concept, and creating a usable design. I would rather put more effort into the actual design of a disc than the laborious task of cutting the stencil.
Here are a couple examples of why I love having a plotter. :)
DSC00413.jpg

pinkcheckers.png

DSC00699.jpg

Yeah some of the more intricate ones do take a while to weed. I can easily have over an hour into some of the crazy detailed ones. I have got the sore fingers before, what really tends to bug me is my back from being hunched over if your doing a bunch of discs at once. 20 hand cut discs in one week is alot of work. Thats another plus to having a plotter, you can easily do that many discs in a day instead of a week!

First dye, and a valuable lesson in patience.

Took the leap and gave dying a shot. I rushed and cut a lot of corners and it shows, but I'm still happy I did it. For impatient people like myself, a messy first dye teaches you that yeah, you have to be thorough and follow through on things like burnishing your vinyl down, checking for air bubbles, and being precise with cutting. Also, I was using really, REALLY old scrap vinyl that peeled like crazy in the warm dye.

The artwork is a simplified copy of a t-shirt design called Octorawk by Glen Brogan. If you don't get what it is, Google "octorok" and you'll figure it out fast enough. I (appropriately) applied it to a Innova 180g Star Roc.
http://www.splitreason.com/product/973

dye gallery:
http://gyondla.carbonmade.com/projects/2779111

MC0gS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.