• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] The Gauntlet

I have to admit I'm pretty excited about this. I currently throw a Magic, but it's pretty understable at any descent distance and I was actually shopping around for a new putter and was torn between Yeti Pro Avian, Judge, and the P2. This may just solve my problems!

So basically they got a beaded stable putter for everyone now. It makes sense but dang it, I still want a premium understable from Trilogy. Something I can hyzeerflip out of the box and have no fade.

Dagger = Deep
Gauntlet = Medium
Macana = Shallow

Why's everybody afraid of glide in a putter? lol. Exactly what you want...stays in the air, floats to target, soft landing.

Unless form is so poor you can't control them.

Not afraid at all. The Judge is my only putter and I just can't imagine something with much more glide.

Why's everybody afraid of glide in a putter? lol. Exactly what you want...stays in the air, floats to target, soft landing.

Unless form is so poor you can't control them.

Putters with a lot of glide can blow past the basket on longer throws.

A putter with little to no glide will be more predictable and accurate on certain shots.

As far as putting is concerned, some people have a lofty putting style where glide helps.

Others prefer to throw putts harder. Glide doesn't help much with that style.

It's really just personal preference.

Not afraid at all. The Judge is my only putter and I just can't imagine something with much more glide.

Okay, I saw the :eek: and thought you might be down on glide in a putter. Gotta say, those who like to skid putters up to the basket don't know what they're doing.

Putters with a lot of glide can blow past the basket on longer throws.

A putter with little to no glide will be more predictable and accurate on certain shots.

As far as putting is concerned, some people have a lofty putting style where glide helps.

Others prefer to throw putts harder. Glide doesn't help much with that style.

It's really just personal preference.

Look, learn to "range' your throws with a putter. It's not hard as you become familiar with a particular putter.

Putters with less glide present two dilemmas, you have to throw them harder to get them there in the air, or you're trying to skip them in to the basket(to avoid blow-by's?)...which is risky due to obstacles on the ground near the basket and also the unpredictability of skips. Also, you're not able to skip approach shots on grass holes, what do you do then?

Any good putter design will have plenty of glide built in. The lower profile, faster putters are best used as driving putters, where you may not want excess glide, but a more controlled flight less susceptible to the wind.

As for putting, yeah personal preference, based on push or spin putting style. But you'll notice even push putters aren't using glideless bricks, they're actually using the same putters.

Lol, thanks for the lesson.

I obviously have no idea what I'm talking about.

Don't be so hard on yourself. :p

Just stating my opinion. BUT, watch any tourney videos and pay attention to how pro's throw approach shots with their putters. They are invariably throwing them at the basket, in the air, and letting them drop down close w/o skipping them. I don't see any fear of blow-by's, lol. Unless there's a lake right behind the basket. :sick:

LOL! Right!?:doh:

It's that type of attitude that will keep you clueless. Pull up tourney video, big boy. They aren't throwing low glide putters, and they aren't worried about blow-by's. Any tourney video you want.

"600 rounds and my DX Roc still won't flip over." :eek:

It's that type of attitude that will keep you clueless. Pull up tourney video, big boy. They aren't throwing low glide putters, and they aren't worried about blow-by's. Any tourney video you want.

"600 rounds and my DX Roc still won't flip over." :eek:
Not sure if you are talking about OS putters or low glide putters here, but either way there are tons of pros using Rhynos, Harps and Shields, none of which are what you would call glidey.

Not sure if you are talking about OS putters or low glide putters here, but either way there are tons of pros using Rhynos, Harps and Shields, none of which are what you would call glidey.

Well, they're not using them because they have low glide, as if they're worried about glide and over-shooting the basket on approach. I just don't understand that whole notion. It's like playing catch with a baseball and constantly throwing it 3 ft over the other person's head. You can "range" any disc...that you've become familiar with. Amount of glide should only be a real concern in the wind, IMO.

Well, they're not using them because they have low glide, as if they're worried about glide and over-shooting the basket on approach. I just don't understand that whole notion. It's like playing catch with a baseball and constantly throwing it 3 ft over the other person's head. You can "range" any disc...that you've become familiar with. Amount of glide should only be a real concern in the wind, IMO.

Baseballs have low glide ratings.

I think pjhayes didn't activate the sarcasm font. ;) Lots of other dimpled discs by Quest hanging out at Play it Again.

Yeah, I hate that font. Much more fun to just see the reaction without broadcasting the sarcasm. I actually think the hex stuff may have some value, but not sure it is enough or what it really does. Where on a round object like a ball, the dimples can create lift, on a disc lift comes from other physicsy stuff. Now, what was this thread about?

Yeah, don't throw any putters with good glide, they're impossible to range. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guess that leaves the Gauntlet out.

Pure stupidity...