• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

You are most likely correct..... Going by my own experience and what I've seen in life, most 21 year olds don't make always the ideal decisions. To play devil's advocate though.... If you had 600+ feet of power with a 3 step throw and you were limited to discs which you were always worried about them flipping over and bailing, wouldn't you maybe want to throw some discs that u could know aren't going to do that? ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If I had 600+ feet of power I'd like to think my form would be good enough to make hay with anything you put into my hands. :\

Older heads will have to correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Climo win a gazillion tourneys without being an elite, long distance thrower? If I were a pro the only thing that I'd care about is what brand would fit my putting the most, not who had discs that I could crush into a hurricane. I dunno, I hate to keep ragging on Drew (not really, the sunglasses and arm sleeve tats make it easy) so I understand playing to your strengths and all, I'd just try and improve facets of my game that would enable it to age gracefully.

I hope the switch back works out for him though, it's entertaining to have characters in the mix on the tours. :thmbup:

I agee, I would pick the company with the best putter that worked for me.

Older heads will have to correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Climo win a gazillion tourneys without being an elite, long distance thrower? If I were a pro the only thing that I'd care about is what brand would fit my putting the most, not who had discs that I could crush into a hurricane. I dunno, I hate to keep ragging on Drew (not really, the sunglasses and arm sleeve tats make it easy) so I understand playing to your strengths and all, I'd just try and improve facets of my game that would enable it to age gracefully.

I hope the switch back works out for him though, it's entertaining to have characters in the mix on the tours. :thmbup:

Climo wasn't an "elite" long distance thrower, but in the context of the era he dominated, he certainly held his own when it came to distance. The difference really was he was consistently accurate regardless of distance.

It's not so different now. McBeth and Wysocki throw a long way but I don't know that either of them are quite "elite" when it comes to long distance throwing. There are definitely a bunch of guys that are going to out-throw them in a traditional distance competition. The key is understanding the difference between raw distance and golf distance. You're going to be a better golfer if you're throwing 450 feet and consistently putting it where you want it versus throwing 550 and spraying discs around a bit more.

????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

A8lyjKL.jpg

That's a really old picture. Paul was sponsored by Dynamic before they made discs.

^it was a joke post.:p;) that 2012 championship will shuesterick, ricky, and paul were all still sponsored by innova. MJ discraft. man innova had a potential murders row of young guys.

Kenny is 6'4 w/ a 6'7'' wingspan and was plenty strong in his prime. He was known as a big arm guy when he was touring in his 20's & 30's and while a few could throw farther (Stokely, Todd, Jenkins) Kenny had top notch power.

Sure, it was probably those 300 foot Roc shots he could throw on a frozen rope that won him all those tourneys, but he could huck when he needed to. Check out the 2006 Worlds footage on Youtube and you'll see a middle aged Kenny hurling Wraiths plenty far.

Climo wasn't an "elite" long distance thrower, but in the context of the era he dominated, he certainly held his own when it came to distance. The difference really was he was consistently accurate regardless of distance.

It's not so different now. McBeth and Wysocki throw a long way but I don't know that either of them are quite "elite" when it comes to long distance throwing. There are definitely a bunch of guys that are going to out-throw them in a traditional distance competition. The key is understanding the difference between raw distance and golf distance. You're going to be a better golfer if you're throwing 450 feet and consistently putting it where you want it versus throwing 550 and spraying discs around a bit more.

Kenny is 6'4 w/ a 6'7'' wingspan and was plenty strong in his prime. He was known as a big arm guy when he was touring in his 20's & 30's and while a few could throw farther (Stokely, Todd, Jenkins) Kenny had top notch power.

Sure, it was probably those 300 foot Roc shots he could throw on a frozen rope that won him all those tourneys, but he could huck when he needed to. Check out the 2006 Worlds footage on Youtube and you'll see a middle aged Kenny hurling Wraiths plenty far.
He also routinely kept a Sonic in his bag though, did he not? If he could make a Sonic work for him I'm pretty sure he wouldn't need to leave a company b/c their discs weren't right for his power level. :\

He also routinely kept a Sonic in his bag though, did he not? If he could make a Sonic work for him I'm pretty sure he wouldn't need to leave a company b/c their discs weren't right for his power level. :\

The Sonic debuted well after Ken's prime. In fact, he was already a 12X champ when they came out.

That's not to say he couldn't finesse a disc, but I think during his streak, his bag was primarily Gazelles, Rocs and Aviars.

The Sonic debuted well after Ken's prime. In fact, he was already a 12X champ when they came out.

That's not to say he couldn't finesse a disc, but I think during his streak, his bag was primarily Gazelles, Rocs and Aviars.

Good to know. He never had a forehand though so he had to be able to finesse flippy Gazelles, Rocs and Aviars though didn't he? And DX probably dominated his bag right? Not a lot of super OS DX stuff around, not for long anyway.

Kennys greatest attribute was knowing in his mind, He was the absolute Best when stepping on the course, and could not wait to prove it to you anyone else ( Micheal Jordan) also the ability to throw 450' on a frozen rope 5 ' off the ground was extremely effeciecent for many years before courses went to par 4's and 5's !! As with today's players, and probably more so, Kenny had the best of the best at his fingertips for years, First Run Vipers were a deadly weapon in his hands for years , Very OS

Dude, let it go. You're really stretching here.

Dave feldberg's #1 tip for DG... Maybe drew missed this one?

#1 Take the time to completely understand how a disc flies.
Not just that it goes left or right, but completely understand why a disc goes left or right, why it lifts or drops, why it flies the way it does based on its design and the conditions of the course. Once a player completely understands how a disc flies and why, they can easily achieve better flights right away without having to do too much practice. I believe the understanding of the flight patterns is half the battle for most players when learning to play our game. They have the ability, but they don't always make the right decisions, mostly because they don't completely understand why the disc is doing what it does.

Sometimes, they expect the disc to do something it's not even capable of doing. For example, a less stable disc will go more left off the center line than a overstable disc for a right handed backhand thrower. This is because an understable disc, thrown properly with hyzer, is trying to go forward and flatten up. If it's holding hyzer angle it will continue to flatten as it slows down. It will continue to go more forward and left than an overstable disc. When an overstable disc runs out of speed, it will dive to the left. I remember the moment I learned the difference between throwing a hyzer or a stall. Climo could make a Teebird look like a Firebird in the air with his clean hyzer release. While I was learning on the same holes, my Firebird would react like his Teebird. I realized I was relying on the stability of the disc to do the work against the wind instead of my arm and wrist.

Just by understanding the aerodynamics, I was sure my Firebird would fight harder than a Teebird once I exposed its nose to the wind. But, not exposing the nose on any average stability driver, like Climo, is a better choice. As a beginner, it was hard for me to fathom this concept. ......

Last edited:
Dave feldberg's #1 tip for DG... Maybe drew missed this one?

#1 Take the time to completely understand how a disc flies.
Not just that it goes left or right, but completely understand why a disc goes left or right, why it lifts or drops, why it flies the way it does based on its design and the conditions of the course. Once a player completely understands how a disc flies and why, they can easily achieve better flights right away without having to do too much practice. I believe the understanding of the flight patterns is half the battle for most players when learning to play our game. They have the ability, but they don't always make the right decisions, mostly because they don't completely understand why the disc is doing what it does.

Sometimes, they expect the disc to do something it's not even capable of doing. For example, a less stable disc will go more left off the center line than a overstable disc for a right handed backhand thrower. This is because an understable disc, thrown properly with hyzer, is trying to go forward and flatten up. If it's holding hyzer angle it will continue to flatten as it slows down. It will continue to go more forward and left than an overstable disc. When an overstable disc runs out of speed, it will dive to the left. I remember the moment I learned the difference between throwing a hyzer or a stall. Climo could make a Teebird look like a Firebird in the air with his clean hyzer release. While I was learning on the same holes, my Firebird would react like his Teebird. I realized I was relying on the stability of the disc to do the work against the wind instead of my arm and wrist.

Just by understanding the aerodynamics, I was sure my Firebird would fight harder than a Teebird once I exposed its nose to the wind. But, not exposing the nose on any average stability driver, like Climo, is a better choice. As a beginner, it was hard for me to fathom this concept. ......

Where did you pull that quote from? I would like to read the full thread, artical, video...whatever

Latest posts