• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The inevitable re-attempt at a 2020 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Well they have McCray still. There was that guy that did pretty well at World's too. The guy from Texas, what's his name again.....

Also Latitude 64 has Justin from Rapid City South Dakota who is getting better over the last few years but has yet to tour full time even on the big A tier circuit. Justin is in the lower ranks of teams still due to not touring much or PDGA Ranking being that high. I think he wants to win everything PDGA sponsored in South Dakota and closest non South Dakota tournaments in a single year before going to the next level.

Is McCray even remotely relevant anymore? Other than name recognition?

Yes John E McCray is still relevant. I saw this year at a top level A tier that McCray almost beat Paul McBeth due to how tight the course was, being a brush in the rough style course. Tournament was in either Florida or just over into Alabama done the week after the Throw Down the Mountain, as no NT/PT events were going on in the weekend John E McCray and Paul McBeth were playing in the top level A tier event.

Well they have McCray still. There was that guy that did pretty well at World's too. The guy from Texas, what's his name again.....

His name is Emerson Keith and it is nice to see a player who is under 130 pounds or 58 kilograms that can still compete at a high level. I thought all the very small players era was over, and players had to be 130 pounds or 58 kilograms and up.

Emerson Keith. Trilogy as a whole aren't busted. Nikko, Emerson Keith, McCray, Clemons, and Tamm are all really good players capable of big wins. Tamm is really the guy to keep tabs on IMO. He can become a "no weaknesses" kind of player in no time. And he has the personality and game to become very marketable.

Emerson Keith. Trilogy as a whole aren't busted. Nikko, Emerson Keith, McCray, Clemons, and Tamm are all really good players capable of big wins. Tamm is really the guy to keep tabs on IMO. He can become a "no weaknesses" kind of player in no time. And he has the personality and game to become very marketable.

I forgot that Westside had just signed independent Nikko Locastro who had just a single disc sponsor as his previous major disc sponsor with the Wizard. Not sure with the Magic or what ever new putter Nikko was using this year 2019 if he had the sponsor like he did with the Nikko Wizard, now under a new name for the old mold Wizard with the original type top.

Last edited:

Yeah I was attempting to be sarcastic with that comment, failed miserably too :D

I was at the final round of World's and was rooting for EK. He's got a complete game and is hard not to root for. I think his arrow is pointing up. Same with Clemons. I totally agree with you about Albert too. Even Risley can be pretty good. He's not as consistent as the 5 you listed but he can get hot at any time too. And don't forget about Dustin Keegan ;)

Hope the shoulder gets better too

He placed 9th at GBO this year in open in what is one of the, if not the, biggest fields in the sport. Yeah he lost to McBeth, like everyone else did. It looks like he only played 2 Pro Masters events this year, placing 3rd and 1st. The 3rd place finish was behind Feldberg and Schultz in Pro Masters Worlds. Seems relevant to me. :confused:

I could be wrong, but I think he's the last man standing in the current 40+ crowd that could still bust out a major win, win a world championship, etc. Dude still has a roller coaster relationship with fans/media. Tough year for him in regards to PDGA earnings, less than 14k. He's pushing 50, wonder how much longer he can continue to tour full time? That back 9 at the 2014 USDGC is still amazing to watch...for so many reasons.

I could be wrong, but I think he's the last man standing in the current 40+ crowd that could still bust out a major win, win a world championship, etc. Dude still has a roller coaster relationship with fans/media. Tough year for him in regards to PDGA earnings, less than 14k. He's pushing 50, wonder how much longer he can continue to tour full time? That back 9 at the 2014 USDGC is still amazing to watch...for so many reasons.

If JohnE can still "bust out a major win, win a world championship" (I assume you mean in MPO?), I think you have to also count Schultz and Feldberg in that category. They both have MP40 major titles more recent than JohnE's, and comparable/higher ratings.

Top 40+ players by rating right now:

Schultz 1032
Kikuchi 1032
Rovere 1030
Johansen 1029
Rico 1023
McCray 1022
Feldberg 1021

Nothing against JohnE, but he's hardly the only older guy still capable of taking down the youngsters once in a while.

Schultz 1032
Kikuchi 1032
Rovere 1030
Johansen 1029
Rico 1023
McCray 1022
Feldberg 1021

Nothing against JohnE, but he's hardly the only older guy still capable of taking down the youngsters once in a while.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, just talking about MPO and the full time older touring players. Schultz and Rovere are definitely right there with Johne. As much as I like MJ, seems like his distance was a factor when competing with the younger players where Johne (and Rovere) still have enough distance to compete.

Never heard of Kikuchi, but based on his pdga stats he doesn't tour much. 1032 rated, very impressive.

If JohnE can still "bust out a major win, win a world championship" (I assume you mean in MPO?), I think you have to also count Schultz and Feldberg in that category. They both have MP40 major titles more recent than JohnE's, and comparable/higher ratings.

Schultz 1032
Kikuchi 1032
Rovere 1030
Johansen 1029
Rico 1023
McCray 1022
Feldberg 1021

MJ I thought has only just turned 40 for the upcoming 2020 season. He will be the Master to watch for both Masters 40+ stuff and MPO NT/PT. However it is still cool that every now and then a player whose age is in the Masters 40+ division can come out and still preform well in the MPO. I know that Ken Climo did that for a few years winning on the MPO NT stage before his injury that has kept him from even competing at the Masters Divisions.

Schultz 1032
Kikuchi 1032
Rovere 1030
Johansen 1029
Rico 1023
McCray 1022
Feldberg 1021

KJ Nybo 1026

I had no idea KJ was that old. I thought he was maybe 30 or something. I guess I never thought to check.

Hard to tell when he's never played a Masters division. There may be others like him who haven't dabbled in Masters yet despite eligibility (Avery Jenkins, for example). The list I posted was obtained by sorting the PDGA stat page by players who have played an MP40 tournament in 2019. Wasn't meant or expected to be comprehensive.