• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] The Reptilian Disc Golf Thread

How much of risk is that to want to take a mold that's already not poplular and thinking it will selll? You think it's a marketing issue primarily? Maybe a new stamp and some hype will get the ball rolling again?

Btw. How much of gateways production relies on the wizard, north of 80%?

I'm pretty bullish on what we can do with these discs. I have always had Gateway molds that I love but would shy away from because I don't like getting hooked on discs that aren't mine.

The Sloth/Devil hawk is a slow mover for Gateway but for us it fills a void that a lot of folks might not see. The Scale seasons into a lumbering PnA, while the Stego doesn't really fly.
The Sloth has a little flight to it and a sharp fade. I'm dialing it in for short spike hyzers and tons of FH approaches. Awesome disc and even better hand feel.

I think with Gateway, Dave will tool a solid new mold, release it with little marketing and then hell get excited about a new mold and the previous will fall into their large lineup.
With RDG acquiring molding rights on a few discs, we can help refocus some deserved attention on molds that players may never pick up under their current molding schedule.

With RDG acquiring molding rights on a few discs, we can help refocus some deserved attention on molds that players may never pick up under their current molding schedule.

Yes, love this subsidiary mentality. It has definitely evolved this year into something promising, and your product mix is hitting its stride. :thmbup:

I think it could be a great addition for you.

Previously I never thought I could carry an all RDG bag because I didn't like the feel of the Scale/SERP for as much as I like the flight. And there was never a true distance driver. Now a lot of those could be mitigated, I got one of the ninja turtle DH you had a while ago and now being reborn as the sloth I'm certainly open to giving some of these a shot, especially when you get some cool stamps.

I think it could be a great addition for you.

Previously I never thought I could carry an all RDG bag because I didn't like the feel of the Scale/SERP for as much as I like the flight. And there was never a true distance driver. Now a lot of those could be mitigated, I got one of the ninja turtle DH you had a while ago and now being reborn as the sloth I'm certainly open to giving some of these a shot, especially when you get some cool stamps.

This is what I had hoped for. Likewise for Dave I'm sure. It's a no investment, profit making move for them as well to get molds running again that otherwise may not have the demand.

The Sloth is a killer disc. When Dave first showed me the DH/War Spear I was shocked that a thumbtrac disc could make a disc so ergonomic. It's like it locks the disc into your grip and really allows a clean pull.

As for the Death Adder, that's a Josh disc.

You all know I'm more of a power thrower that prefers to manipulate 0 turn discs. Josh is an average arm and he was aggressive on making the Siren an RDG disc. It is producing some of his longest, most controlled distance and its in a comfortable package.

any chance of some super glow fossil putters? or glow amber since gateway has some of the best glow around and recently have color glow diamond plastic :)

I'm going to try to coax Dave to put the Gila top in now that they're running the Prophecy. We are almost out of Amber so now would be a good time to make a new run.

It would also be sick to have some Glow Fossil if possible.

anyone have a profile pic of the sloth? im curious

I have a couple gateway putters that its based off of. If its the same then its fairly thin, but bulky feeling rim with a significant bead. For me It wasn't my favorite but it was definitely good. I stocked up with Element Iridiums and I've been liking that a lot.

Sloth with likely be a more dramatic cutting scale type disc. Similar uses. idk, I wanna see the pics too :hfive:

How much of risk is that to want to take a mold that's already not poplular and thinking it will selll? You think it's a marketing issue primarily? Maybe a new stamp and some hype will get the ball rolling again?
Gateway kinda dumped the Chief and Shaman on the market, then followed up less than a year later with the Chief OS, the War Spear and Devil Hawk. Since they are all low-profile putt/approach discs, that was a lot of discs to dump on the market all at once. There wasn't a lot of advertising, Gateway doesn't really have a budget to be advertising. So you really can argue that one or more of those molds could get lost in the shuffle.

I've always thought Gateway should stagger a release in the Spring with the Ozark Mountain Open and a release in the Fall with the Fall Harvest. If you were going to release multiples, do a putter and a driver, something where if there are two discs they at least will be very different uses. That would give them a platform to roll out the new discs to the Gateway faithful and get the word of mouth that they depend on going. That one OMO the Chief OS, the War Spear and Devil Hawk were all there as fairly new discs. After it was over nobody could tell you which was which.

Gateway kinda dumped the Chief and Shaman on the market, then followed up less than a year later with the Chief OS, the War Spear and Devil Hawk. Since they are all low-profile putt/approach discs, that was a lot of discs to dump on the market all at once. There wasn't a lot of advertising, Gateway doesn't really have a budget to be advertising. So you really can argue that one or more of those molds could get lost in the shuffle.

I've always thought Gateway should stagger a release in the Spring with the Ozark Mountain Open and a release in the Fall with the Fall Harvest. If you were going to release multiples, do a putter and a driver, something where if there are two discs they at least will be very different uses. That would give them a platform to roll out the new discs to the Gateway faithful and get the word of mouth that they depend on going. That one OMO the Chief OS, the War Spear and Devil Hawk were all there as fairly new discs. After it was over nobody could tell you which was which.

Always on point, brotha. :clap:

Truth be told, 1/2 the people I play with were still trying to figure out which was which between the Chief and Shaman when the other three came out. I really think if they would have rolled them out one by one over 2 1/2 years, each one would have had more of an impact.

I think the inflight guide has them messed up as well:

picture.php

From what I've thrown, the Devil Hawk is beefier than that flight pattern. The War Spear for me falls between the Devil Hawk and Chief OS (the Chief would be next in line but you can only select four to view.) The Chief OS and Shaman flights look accurate, but no idea why a Shaman shown going 271' is a putter and a War Spear shown going 269' is a mid. :| That just looks like bad info to me, which is weird since the Inbounds flight guide is usually pretty good. It's just another example of nobody actually knowing much about those five discs. It's like they just assumed that the War Spear would be similar to the Magic since it has the Magic wing. To me it is waaayyy beefier.

Give a couple of those a re-release with RDG branding and I think they should sell. I really like those five, it's a nice lineup. I just think they need the right promotion.

I got three more birdies on tight wooded holes with my Stego today. Please for the love of all that is good fix that top piece. If I have to adjust to powering down a Justice on some of these shots my game will suffer!

I've missed aces by less than a foot twice now with it, on a really tightly wooded hole no less.

Very nice colors! Hope you sell a ton so the Stego mold can get fixed.

Latest posts