• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The River

Roc Lover said:
inbeforefrankcoulddeleteme.jpg

haha

so getting back on track I have some DGC gift certs coming and was thinking about getting some 167-170 rivers, how do those compare to champ ELs of the same weight?

just got four rivers in today. two gl two opto 165-175. they all fly pretty much the same. they remind me of fresh star tls or fresh pro line leopards right now. pretty stable new, but i can see them getting more dynamic as they season in like the aforementioned discs. i let some big arms at the course throw them and they had the same results. one of the things that surprised me the most is that even when i shanked it and got a bad drive, it was consistently like 30 feet further than a comparable terrible drive.

unrelated: also got some flows in, and holy shit they are perfect out of the box. they are comets you can lay in to.

big ups to hoey for some choice discs.

personally am liking my opto tons more than the GL, anyone wanna trade an opto for a GL 175g? im not particular about weight, and blue would be nice but color isnt an issue either really?

Shank said:
just got four rivers in today. two gl two opto 165-175. they all fly pretty much the same. they remind me of fresh star tls or fresh pro line leopards right now. pretty stable new, but i can see them getting more dynamic as they season in like the aforementioned discs. i let some big arms at the course throw them and they had the same results. one of the things that surprised me the most is that even when i shanked it and got a bad drive, it was consistently like 30 feet further than a comparable terrible drive.

unrelated: also got some flows in, and holy shit they are perfect out of the box. they are comets you can lay in to.

I've heard good things about the flow. One wily vet from the 70's I know who owns a DG store is real jazzed about it.

FHthrower said:
Shank said:

I've heard good things about the flow. One wily vet from the 70's I know who owns a DG store is real jazzed about it.
take this shit to the flow thread morans

I've thrown both, and I would say my 170 Opto behaves similarly to an EL... both have a nice, slow, gradual turn.

I think I need a couple grams more and I'd be able to throw it with a bit more confidence for some more distance, once things start to open up a bit.

Roc Lover said:
personally am liking my opto tons more than the GL?

just curious, but why?
i have both, had the opto first, and it was a lot more stable than i expected. but now that it's seasoned it has the HSS of a flimsy valk when you really get on it but still has enough LSS to make it useful.

brand new the GL doesn't have nearly the HSS the opto had brand new, but flies really, really nice. i worry it will be a useless pos once it starts to wear like the opto has.

honestly, after not much seasoning, i don't know how guys throw a river on a straight line, even with a hyzer angle. i need quite a bit of room to get it's full distance. but it's my understable D driver for sure. it's no fairway driver for me.

bill said:
Roc Lover said:
personally am liking my opto tons more than the GL?
i need quite a bit of room to get it's full distance. but it's my understable D driver for sure. it's no fairway driver for me.

if the fairway is 'dogleg right' it sure as hell is

my GL when new was completely different and throwing them back to back i just liked the opto better. It was stiff but out of the box it was like uber leopard and the GL was almost Teebirdish, it was so stable and just not what i was wanting. Its better now, theyre almost identical in flight but the opto is still my preferred river maybe just because i shunned the other one for a bit and im used to that one now, idk i just find myself reaching for that particular one more often.

for me I use it for hyzerflip lazer lines, straight drives that finish a bit right on lower lines, and longer turnovers. The opto to me does all of this better, its most likely a disc to disc thing. The PLH on my GL is sooooo low, but its every bit as stable as the opto and used to be more so.

My 169g royal blue GL was very teebirdy with its stability as well, now it's just a tad more stable than my optos.

Just curious, how do these ratings from Joe's seem to you guys?

Eagle-X 4.5 -0.5 3 4
Assassin 4.5 -0.5 3 4
River 4.5 -0.5 3 4

(yes, they have the exact same ratings)

...I would say River is the longest of the three due to better glide, and that Eagle-X is the most controllable. Assassin somewhere in between. What do you think?

My former E Assassin had way less glide and two notches more speed than my GL River of the flippy then surely too early and too hard fading kind. I've not thrown Eagles much at all in 2010 so i can't compare them exactly. IIRC SEX fades more than the River and the Assassin.

It might have those numbers right out of the box, but after about 10 games with my opto river, the flashing is gone, and they pretty closely resemble the -2 +1 turn and fade.

Shank said:
It might have those numbers right out of the box, but after about 10 games with my opto river, the flashing is gone, and they pretty closely resemble the -2 +1 turn and fade.

yip

From what I've thrown, the Assassin is much flippier out of the box. I was surprised at how stable and how much fade the River had.

bcr123psu said:
From what I've thrown, the Assassin is much flippier out of the box. I was surprised at how stable and how much fade the River had.
Yeah, that's why the River reminds me so much of a heavy champ EL, except it seems a lot more predictable than the EL.

I don't know about the River and EX having the same numbers though, the River seems like a nicely worn in EX out of the box.

Agree...river less stable than eagle except:
Max weight rivers are close to a e-x

They are totally different animals in heavier weights

EL-KABONG! said:
Agree...river less stable than eagle except:
Max weight rivers are close to a e-x

They are totally different animals in heavier weights
Including the fade and all?

It was such a long time since I threw eagle-x, but that was before I realized it was supposed to be different from the other eagles, so I thought it was a freak and didn't use it much. Sold it.

I have a full weight opto River which i haven't thrown yet, but i expect it to be more stable than the g.l. Rivers. That's why I was interested in the River / Eagle-X comparison.

Thanks.

What I was trying to figure out is just how stable a River can be in full weight and the opto plastic. And if it could put my Striker out of the bag (I like my bag to be light). Perhaps the River-Blitz-Trident combo would be enough for the stable to overstable driver duties. I guess there's only one way to find out, and that is to wait a couple of months :wink: